• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Acquiring Hotels and Attractions with VV points

gtoc

Reaction score
I just purchased a 4 bedroom bi-annual floating week with VV from the developer for $9940 or about that. What interested me in this is the program where I can supposedly use the points to get hotel, airbnb or bed and breakfast in any city. We can also use points to entirely purchase cruises and attraction tickets. Furthermore, they will be able to roll points from my other timeshare into this program. I have had some experiences where the exchange rate for these tupes of conversions, like for renting a car, is just about or exceeds being twice as high as what it would be if paid in cash. However, I have also seen through HICV that they put together some very nice points only excursions whose points values match the value of the services offered. I shared this with the presenter. I have made several calls today to get a “sneak peek” into this particular website, but I could not. I have already written and signed a recision letter that I will submit if the values are not worth it. I did confirm that the administrator of this program will be RCI. These will be booked through VV concierge team. Does any owner on here have access to this program? If so, what is your experience with it? Could you give us a “sneak peek” of the site? Thanks!

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind immediately. You can pick up a resale VV 4 bedroom for $1.00 and it will give you the same access to an RCI membership, but from what I have seen the discounts on hotel stays through RCI are not significant, . They are not offering you anything unique or special by buying direct.

MAJPLO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which one have you purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
I just purchased a 4 bedroom bi-annual floating week with VV from the developer for $9940 or about that. What interested me in this is the program where I can supposedly use the points to get hotel, airbnb or bed and breakfast in any city. We can also use points to entirely purchase cruises and attraction tickets. Furthermore, they will be able to roll points from my other timeshare into this program. I have had some experiences where the exchange rate for these tupes of conversions, like for renting a car, is just about or exceeds being twice as high as what it would be if paid in cash. However, I have also seen through HICV that they put together some very nice points only excursions whose points values match the value of the services offered. I shared this with the presenter. I have made several calls today to get a “sneak peek” into this particular website, but I could not. I have already written and signed a recision letter that I will submit if the values are not worth it. I did confirm that the administrator of this program will be RCI. These will be booked through VV concierge team. Does any owner on here have access to this program? If so, what is your experience with it? Could you give us a “sneak peek” of the site? Thanks!
As stated by @twise625 rescind immediately. What you have purchased is readily available on the resale market for a fraction of what you paid, if not for a dollar. You will have all of the same benefits and access to services purchasing resale as you would buying from the developer. I purchased VV resale and have all of the same benefits as those who purchased at a presentation. The major difference is that I obtained mine for a couple of hundred dollars (the cost of the transfer) and not the thousands demanded during the developer presentation.

What was presented as “additional benefits” is simply your RCI membership that is associated with the purchase.

gtoc

Reaction score
As stated by @twise625 rescind immediately. What you have purchased is readily available on the resale market for a fraction of what you paid, if not for a dollar. You will have all of the same benefits and access to services purchasing resale as you would buying from the developer. I purchased VV resale and have all of the same benefits as those who purchased at a presentation. The major difference is that I obtained mine for a couple of hundred dollars (the cost of the transfer) and not the thousands demanded during the developer presentation.

What was presented as “additional benefits” is simply your RCI membership that is associated with the purchase.
OK thank you for that information. Have you ever utilized the benefit of trading points for hotels and things like that through RCI? Or could you perhaps show a screen shot of the site that you use? I currently own through HICV and there are some things in RCI that I am not able to access through that timeshare. Thanks again.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Rci discontinued their program that allowed you to use points to pay for things like hotels and attractions in their entirety on 1/1/2020. They never allowed you to use points to pay for cruises in its entirety only a discount and that was discontinued sometime around 9/2019. You can use Rci points for a small discount on hotels. The discount is often less than $5 per night. Often the discount is $0 compared to other sites.

gtoc

Reaction score
Rci discontinued their program that allowed you to use points to pay for things like hotels and attractions in their entirety on 1/1/2020. They never allowed you to use points to pay for cruises in its entirety only a discount and that was discontinued sometime around 9/2019. You can use Rci points for a small discount on hotels. The discount is often less than $5 per night. Often the discount is $0 compared to other sites.
I see. Did those discounts also include air bnb's and attraction tickets?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Air bnb no. Attractions yes.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's possible it's a new program but it's possible it's all 100% bs. When there was such a program there was a transaction fee of $25-$100 plus you got about $0.0065 per point.

gtoc

Reaction score
It's possible it's a new program but it's possible it's all 100% bs. When there was such a program there was a transaction fee of $25-$100 plus you got about $0.0065 per point.
That is what I suspect. The transaction fee is $79 per transaction, and I don't know what the points value will be.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is what I suspect. The transaction fee is $79 per transaction, and I don't know what the points value will be.
Did they give you any documentation about the program? If not I would assume it is all bs. Whatever deal you have will be available in the future when you can actually verify if the program exists. It doesn't make sense that rci would offer this program for VV only. They still have somewhat of a program like this for Wyndam points owners and the only way they can have such a program without losing money is to make the conversion be worth less than half of what you pay in Mf's. VV properties if you owned in the highest season could sometimes break even with the transaction fee. That is likely why it was discontinued.

gtoc

Reaction score
Did they give you any documentation about the program? If not I would assume it is all bs. Whatever deal you have will be available in the future when you can actually verify if the program exists. It doesn't make sense that rci would offer this program for VV only. They still have somewhat of a program like this for Wyndam points owners and the only way they can have such a program without losing money is to make the conversion be worth less than half of what you pay in Mf's. VV properties if you owned in the highest season could sometimes break even with the transaction fee. That is likely why it was discontinued.
You made some very good points about the profitability to RCI. I was just discussing the program that HICV has had. They did it for a year for some great destination packages that was points only. Then during COVID they have not done any. The points values were comparable to the retail value of the tickets- such as airplane ride over the Grand Canyon, historical train ride with Santa, etc. I know that this is the same IDEA that was being presented to me. The problem is, there is nothing in the contract about that. These programs can come and go. Perhaps I will get a $1 timeshare at Masanutten and perhaps buy into that program at a later time if it still exists.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The points values were comparable to the retail value of the tickets- such as airplane ride over the Grand Canyon, historical train ride with Santa, etc.

If the program only allows you to exchange points for values comparable to the retail cost of the tickets, I'm not sure I would buy into it. Factoring in the cost of the developer purchase to the price you pay for the points, you would be losing money on each transaction. Using a free timeshare as a timeshare and just paying cash (or credit) for attractions, etc., makes much more sense (& cents) to me.