• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

according to a Stanford professor: Median Infection Fatality Rate Of COVID-19 For Those Under-70 Is Just 0.04%

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Thank you @Cornell (Laura) for your kind words. I can relate to your sister's situation. I feel so sad to hear she lost her husband. That is a double whammy in life. I am glad she has a full life and lots of friends. And she has you and all of your siblings. My extended family is in Florida and we are in California. My DH does not want to leave California and I feel alone here. He is from Montana but only has a sister and his mom there. His mom has dementia and does not recognize him anymore. He comes from a small family and does not appreciate family. Maybe he will change his mind with time but in the meantime, I am losing precious time and critical events as my nieces and nephews grow up and my siblings age. I am the oldest. I worry if I ever move back to Florida, they will all have forgotten me. I am closest to my father and great aunt but they are elderly and won't be around in a few more years. That is really scary to think about. At least I speak to my father and great aunt weekly and that gives my life meaning. I think it will be really hard for me when they pass.

Yes Covid and my age are the perfect storm. I was hoping to celebrate a big 55 this year and that is not possible this summer. Covid is making me re-think life and what is important to me. I really want to start downsizing as much as possible. That will be one goal in the next 2 years. Then I can focus on what matters and live life simply.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thank you @Cornell (Laura) for your kind words. I can relate to your sister's situation. I feel so sad to hear she lost her husband. That is a double whammy in life. I am glad she has a full life and lots of friends. And she has you and all of your siblings. My extended family is in Florida and we are in California. My DH does not want to leave California and I feel alone here. He is from Montana but only has a sister and his mom there. His mom has dementia and does not recognize him anymore. He comes from a small family and does not appreciate family. Maybe he will change his mind with time but in the meantime, I am losing precious time and critical events as my nieces and nephews grow up and my siblings age. I am the oldest. I worry if I ever move back to Florida, they will all have forgotten me. I am closest to my father and great aunt but they are elderly and won't be around in a few more years. That is really scary to think about. At least I speak to my father and great aunt weekly and that gives my life meaning. I think it will be really hard for me when they pass.

Yes Covid and my age are the perfect storm. I was hoping to celebrate a big 55 this year and that is not possible this summer. Covid is making me re-think life and what is important to me. I really want to start downsizing as much as possible. That will be one goal in the next 2 years. Then I can focus on what matters and live life simply.

For what’s it worth I think you should celebrate your birthday however you can. Work on the downsizing now. As I mentioned, try to move if you can if you can work something out with your husband on location for the lifestyle you desire.

I will tell you living in NY, all our relatives and friends were anywhere from an hour to 3 hours away and we rarely saw any of them. Again, just that people have lives going on- their own families, work and so on. I even had a friend up the road that I hardly ever saw as she was busy babysitting grandchildren and so on. So you might want to also concentrate on somewhere you can make some new friends.

Even so, I think often times friends you make when older are not the same as your long time friends you have a history with. But it’s all good- just different. I stay in touch via phone or Facebook with my old friends that’s all.

I do worry that I might not ever see my brother again. Maybe we can fly to Florida at some point or they can come up here. Hey- his wife and daughter just flew into NY for a visit to their relatives there with no issues. So why not?

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
"The media does a good job of screaming ___________ without telling you ___________________. "

That pretty much nails it.
Yeah -
but it probably has been that way since the printing press was invented.
of course - that was before the 24-7 news cycle was invented........

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
People have been talking about the risk factor for the over 70 crowd. Not to be morbid (but this probably is) here is the actuarial table for the US. It is not too promising for the over 70 crowd. Life expectancy at birth is 80 for women and 75 for men.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

.......... I know when I hit 53, my time table started ticking and I feel like I am in the twilight of life. Going on 55 is really feeling old for me and .....I would like to get some reassurance that I am not old and that 70 is the new 40. (I would have said 50 but my 50s are not so good.) Until age 50, I felt like I was 25. Then it hit me all at once. This is probably the biggest challenge I am facing right now. Any helpful advice for me?

60 is the new 50 ,
70 is the new 60 ....... and 80 is still 80 ......

[ posted a number of years ago by a TUGGER - who I believe said he heard it while attending a Wyndham annual meeting ]

So TravelTime - you have 25 good years left.

Personally - I get bothered by the concept of how many Saturday’s remain ....

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
60 is the new 50 ,
70 is the new 60 ....... and 80 is still 80 ......

[ posted a number of years ago by a TUGGER - who I believe said he heard it while attending a Wyndham annual meeting ]

So TravelTime - you have 25 good years left.

Personally - I get bothered by the concept of how many Saturday’s remain ....

You mean 25 good years until I hit 80? I am supposed to live until 85, if all goes well, according to the actuarial table. Does that mean my last 5 years will be unpleasant? :ponder:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Yes. One simple statistic that people are failing to look at in some the scary headlines is the median age of C19 positives in FL. It has dropped considerably. A VERY good sign. C19 might be spreading faster now in certain areas but in populations that are not particularly vulnerable to getting very sick, much less die. Reminder: there have been ZERO deaths under 18 in FL. Since late May Florida has no overall decline in ICU / general hospital bed capacity. Positive tests have spiked, nothing else.
A kid in Pasco county died a few days ago....

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hopefully, no.
70 is the new 60, 80 is the new 70 ;)

with my mother at age 99 it was ..... still 99 :mad:

So I am turning 55 next month. Is this how 45 feels? I skipped feeling 45 since I felt 25 when I was in my 40s. Now it has all caught up with me in my 50s. :confused:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here’s one more from Horowitz that came out today.
I’m not going to invest the time to review/refute this article but really, it’s a hodgepodge of half-truths and agenda-driven assumptions.