• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About to rescind…so what do I lose with a resale purchase

Llennyfar

TUG Member
Reaction score
So yes I got suckered into a 5,400 points for 20k with a bunch of bonus points and some high giving and congratulations all around. Cold facts the following morning on here tells me that was a bad deal, so I’m responding tomorrow.

I do want into HGVC though. So what do I not get witha resale purchase? Do I have to pay reservation fees? Is it harder to get the room we want? Some other gotchas that I should be aware of?

surely cannot be as simple as get 1/10th or more off the price of retail??

thanks in advance for your comments.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
So yes I got suckered into a 5,400 points for 20k with a bunch of bonus points and some high giving and congratulations all around. Cold facts the following morning on here tells me that was a bad deal, so I’m responding tomorrow.

I do want into HGVC though. So what do I not get witha resale purchase? Do I have to pay reservation fees? Is it harder to get the room we want? Some other gotchas that I should be aware of?

thanks in advance for your comments.
They are the same except you don't get in Max. You pay a lower club fee but have to pay reservation fees. That is about it. You can spend a few thousand dollars and get more points with resale. That cost difference will more than pay for your reservation fees for a long time.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is that simple... And you pay 5 to 10% of retail... Maybe a bit more in high demand places but still much less and you use the points the same way... No difference other than Max but Max just gets you access to HVC.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Isn't there also something different about access to Hilton Honors? Perhaps something about Elite?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Isn't there also something different about access to Hilton Honors? Perhaps something about Elite?
Max can convert every other year where non-Max can convert every year. Max gets a 10% discount on Hilton stays but, it is unclear if that is 10% off full price or the Hilton Honor discounted price.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Resale points will not qualify you for elite status, but...
Even elites will tell you that its not worth paying retail to get.

Access to HHonors is the exactly the same (not a good trade).
HGVC points are best used... to book HGVC resorts. Say, what?

BTW, not having access to "Max" is no great loss in my book.
I never had any use for DRI properties, so why would I now?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Resale points will not qualify you for elite status, but...
Even elites will tell you that its not worth paying retail to get.
Just remember that some resale do count for elite. We are elite premier and only own 1 retail week.

Llennyfar

TUG Member
Reaction score
So we buy the resale points. Then then tell hgvc that there has been an ownership change and they set us up with an account with booking access etc?
Thanks ever so much so far.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So we buy the resale points. Then then tell hgvc that there has been an ownership change and they set us up with an account with booking access etc?
You buy a deeded week that is associated to points. Through the closing process, HGV is notified.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Once you strike a deal to purchase a resale deed, a new deed needs to be written, the county of the resort needs to be notified and the closing company will notify HGVC. HGVC will set up your new account and you will be off and reserving. There are fees, of course, but you will spend about 5%-10% of the retail cost.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
First rescind and then take your time to research before making an informed resale purchase. HGVC is great resale, IMO but there are other TS systems out there that might work better for you.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
grats on saving 20k!

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
My answer to the question in title without reading the description or comments: nothing.

My answer to the question in title after reading the description and comments: nothing.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Just remember that some resale do count for elite. We are elite premier and only own 1 retail week.

Which resorts count for elite when buying resale?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

As of right now, the Scotland Lodges (as long as you are buying through the sales offices). I believe the took away the Elite capability from the Florida Gulf Coast affiliates, but I could be wrong on that.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Scotland, SW FL (maybe), Valdoro, maybe others

We own 6 Craig Lodges and they all count for elite

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If you spent $20,000 on a bunch of Hilton points, you would get a lot of points, and that is why resale is so much better. If you planned to use the system for nights and weeks in the system (Hilton resorts), then you can get so much out of $20,000. Ask the right questions, like which resort to buy in points for the lowest MF's. That is one of the questions I would ask, if I was going to buy.

Happy vacationing!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
As of right now, the Scotland Lodges (as long as you are buying through the sales offices). I believe the took away the Elite capability from the Florida Gulf Coast affiliates, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks. I visited two of the Scottish resorts earlier this year and very much enjoyed Craigendarroch.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Scotland, SW FL (maybe), Valdoro, maybe others

We own 6 Craig Lodges and they all count for elite
So you are talking about Craigendarroch??? and not Crag's Lodges, which are in Colorado and Diamond.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you are talking about Craigendarroch??? and not Crag's Lodges, which are in Colorado and Diamond.
We own at Craigendarroch Lodges. I just call it Craig for short. In HGVC, there is only two Craig's; Suites and Lodges and both are in Scotland