• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

about to purchase resale HGVC in vegas. Usually book last minute is this right for me?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I would continue to rent until you find the right System for you. I only purchased because we are a family of 7. AirBnB is not an option for us.

Read and study the stickies before buying. We have rented in SD and Vegas last minute. We still do hotels in Monterey/Napa since there are limited TS.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Agree with @DazedandConfused, I think you need to do a lot more research before you purchase a timeshare. The questions you’re asking are suggesting you haven’t even scratched the surface on research. To avoid being disappointed & “stuck” with something that is not right for you, research and read a lot more and then come back to this question of whether a timeshare is a good idea for your family or not. I say this humbly & not trying to insult you, we are trying to help!

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Agree with @DazedandConfused, I think you need to do a lot more research before you purchase a timeshare. The questions you’re asking are suggesting you haven’t even scratched the surface on research. To avoid being disappointed & “stuck” with something that is not right for you, research and read a lot more and then come back to this question of whether a timeshare is a good idea for your family or not. I say this humbly & not trying to insult you, we are trying to help!

I believe that the posts that are subsequent to mine give the same message more precisely than I did. I gave you the long version so that you can have a fuller picture of why an HGVC timeshare would NOT be right for you unless you change your vacation planning pattern. For most of our vacations we want a very precise size unit, in a specific resort, during a specific timeframe, for a specific length of time. Therefore, we must book very early. If your needs are not very specific then you can benefit from a timeshare. One of the biggest complaint that I hear about timeshares is that people can never find anything. That is most probably true since they try to book only a month or 2 before they want to go.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
One of the biggest complaint that I hear about timeshares is that people can never find anything. That is most probably true since they try to book only a month or 2 before they want to go.

This exactly. One can often find what they want, but one has to be willing to plan to get it. The less planning one is willing to do, the more variation (exact location, unit size, exact dates) one must be willing to accept.

Cheers.

goto35

Reaction score
this is all great info thank you. still debating what to do. also i dont mind doing a 3-5 day vacation instead of a 7 day vacation so the minimal point could work.

maybe i shall wait a few years and wait for the kids to get older.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
We were always "last minute Larry's" booking holidays and of course it cost us lots to travel like that. We had to change our evil ways, and it is a good thing to do. I would suggest, just buy a unit, start booking 9 months out and then change as you get closer if you feel you will not use it. The self discipline to book in advance will save you lots and it is lots of fun to have these holidays to look forward to.

goto35

Reaction score
so if i book a 9 months in advance and i cancel 30+ days, i loose the booking fee right? DOesnt that mean i wont be able to rebook if the busy locations are all sold out.

goto35

Reaction score
question can you get studios or small rooms with 2 beds? Or is 2 bedroom the only way to get 2 beds?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
question can you get studios or small rooms with 2 beds? Or is 2 bedroom the only way to get 2 beds?

Studios have 1 bed (sleeps max of 2)
1 bedroom units have 1 king bed and 1 sleeper sofa (sleeps max of 4)
2 bedroom units have 1 king, a sleeper sofa and either 2 full or 1 king (sleeps max of 6)
3 bedroom units have 2 kings, a sleeper sofa and either 2 full or another king (sleeps max of 8)

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
If you book 1-2 months out frequently, Club Wyndham is a good system. They usually have point discounts on remaining inventory at 3 months out. I get a discount on about half of my stays. I usually only stay 3-5 nights, so Hilton is out of the picture for me because of the higher MF and more expensive reservation fee (Wyndham is only $19).

Wyndham also might buy Hilton out. If Hilton sells, it's more than likely going to be picked up by Wyndham. From what I heard, it's currently being negotiated.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
so if i book a 9 months in advance and i cancel 30+ days, i loose the booking fee right? DOesnt that mean i wont be able to rebook if the busy locations are all sold out.
Yes if you cancel you lose the booking fee. If you book 9 months out you need to book where you want to go. If you then want to change to another location or another accommodation at the 30-60 days out, of course you will have the same challenges that you would have if you waited until 30-60 days out originally.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If you move the reservation in the 30-60 day window, then you will not lose you club reservation fee.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Studios have 1 bed (sleeps max of 2)
1 bedroom units have 1 king bed and 1 sleeper sofa (sleeps max of 4)
2 bedroom units have 1 king, a sleeper sofa and either 2 full or 1 king (sleeps max of 6)
3 bedroom units have 2 kings, a sleeper sofa and either 2 full or another king (sleeps max of 8)
These are general guidelines for most resorts. There are exceptions.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you book 1-2 months out frequently, Club Wyndham is a good system. They usually have point discounts on remaining inventory at 3 months out. I get a discount on about half of my stays. I usually only stay 3-5 nights, so Hilton is out of the picture for me because of the higher MF and more expensive reservation fee (Wyndham is only $19).

Wyndham also might buy Hilton out. If Hilton sells, it's more than likely going to be picked up by Wyndham. From what I heard, it's currently being negotiated.

The Diamond people are saying the same thing. They have been saying it since August.

What are the average MF’s for a 2 bedroom in the Wyndham system. Hilton MFs can be pretty low and they treat their resale owners very well.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
It depends on your contract. If you own grand desert (Las vegas), average week is 900-1200 for prime (plat) season. It can be cheaper or more expensive based on your deed. Grand desert is just an easy example because it's easy to find and has low maintenance.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I don't think it will merge with Diamond. It isn't a quality brand like Wyndham. Wyndham accommodations are just a notch below Hilton on average, but has better amenities, like pools and lazy rivers, at their resorts.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It depends on your contract. If you own grand desert (Las vegas), average week is 900-1200 for prime (plat) season. It can be cheaper or more expensive based on your deed. Grand desert is just an easy example because it's easy to find and has low maintenance.

Hilton MF’s are pretty comparable they range from $750 to $1500 for a platinum 2 bedroom. There are differences, especially for the newer resorts, but the point levels are different too. My MF’s were $1082 + $182 club dues and $67 for a club booking. That’s on the lower side of average.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Yes you would loose the booking fee which is only about $80 - but remember, you are booking into places that cost us HGVC members in and around $100 per night to occupy (if you have wisely bought a low MF property) and these units on the open market would easily be $300 to $500 per night or more, so the screaming deal you are getting makes it worth it to work around your reservation and possibly loose a few booking fees along the way. And just like a hotel or a seat in a restaurant, if everything is booked then you would be out of luck. Also, the 9 month window is the optimal time. Inventory does come and go through out the year at most resorts. You just have to watch closely, be lucky and book fast when it comes up.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Nothing specific. I usually plan our vacation 1-2 months before. I have a 2 year old and new baby coming next month?

So do you guys think buying a hilton timeshare will be a waste for me if i only plan 1-3 months in advance? and is 5k points every other year enough?

Also is the maint fee of $1073 reasonable for 4800 points?
Well you plan 1-2 months now, do you have any other kids? Or is this your first? If this is your first, I can tell you that booking 1-2 months in advance may continue but as the kid gets older you’ll be restricted to school schedules where booking far out will be easier. You know then you’ll be booking a school vacation week. I also book 1-2 months out for some trips , but i also book in advance when I want to go to a resort or location I know I want to go to. I just checked my vistana points, I can book a one bedroom premium villa in Maui for Labor Day weekend. I can’t speak for HGVC. but I’m sure you’ll find availability somewhere! Then you have RCI which has places to go within 1-2 months planning but you may not be happy with the results OR you may be pleased with last minute availability. I say get the unit and try it out! Worst case you lose a bit of money or break even and unload it.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
And, as a related aside, if one owns a bHC interest as well, one can pay a small additional annual fee (I think it's like $129) to have no booking fees.

Then, the money can be held more tightly, and there is nothing to "loose." :)

Cheers.