• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ABOUND Fees

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harboside Atlantis, Sheraton Flex ,Vidanta
Hi. I know the discussion about the combined ABOUND fee has been discussed in numerous places, but now that people have had more experience with it, I have a question. We elected not to convert to Marriott points in ABOUND and leave what we have alone. We were charged the new combined ABOUND fee and a paid it. However, we still are paying the II fees for trading. Is the $0 cost for this now only for those who converted to Marriott points in ABOUND? If so, it would seem our $200+ consolidated ABOUND fee does nothing for us and can I thus get a refund of it? Any thoughts? Would appreciate it.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My understanding is the system is still charging enrolled Vistana members exchange fees. You have to call when doing an exchange on a Marriott or Vistana property in order to get a supervisor waiver of the exchange fee. At least that was the way it was last month for me.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
My understanding is the system is still charging enrolled Vistana members exchange fees. You have to call when doing an exchange on a Marriott or Vistana property in order to get a supervisor waiver of the exchange fee. At least that was the way it was last month for me.
Just to add to that, my understanding is that the fees are supposed to be waived, but the system hasn’t been updated yet, which is why you have to call to get the fee waived or refunded. Presumably, at some point they will update the system so it stops charging the fees to Abound members.

I would sort of expect that they might automatically refund fees paid by owners who should be exempt from them, but I’m not sure I’d bet on that. I think calling to get the fees removed is a safer plan.

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. I assumed you called II correct?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just wanted to update everyone on what happened. I called II and they told me this was a Vistana system issue and not a problem on their end. They gave me a Vistana number to call and after the Vistana representative placed me on hold for 20 minutes to determine what to do, they did send a refund request to II to refund the II exchange fee. We did get a refund on our credit card from II. So, it is Vistana that needs to be called not II. Hope this helps.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Hi. I know the discussion about the combined ABOUND fee has been discussed in numerous places, but now that people have had more experience with it, I have a question. We elected not to convert to Marriott points in ABOUND and leave what we have alone. We were charged the new combined ABOUND fee and a paid it. However, we still are paying the II fees for trading. Is the $0 cost for this now only for those who converted to Marriott points in ABOUND? If so, it would seem our $200+ consolidated ABOUND fee does nothing for us and can I thus get a refund of it? Any thoughts? Would appreciate it.
The Abound fees replace the old Vistana Fees. So if you use staroptions, you will want to pay it as it does allow you membership like the old membership fee you paid. If you bank, split your week into more than one stay, etc., your fees likely will end up less than what you used to pay.

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quick question. Do you have to pay the ABOUND Club Dues for each timeshare you own or just once?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Quick question. Do you have to pay the ABOUND Club Dues for each timeshare you own or just once?
Just once but it varies dependent upon how many you own up to a limit. I can't recall the details of how many and how much.

Ronnie B

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach - Hilton Head
We are owners at Marriott's Barony Beach. Several years ago, we signed up for the Abound program, but decided not to renew this year, because we always stay at our property on Hilton Head. In fact, one of the Marriott representatives told us that the Abound program didn't make sense for us, because we never plan to exchange Barony for different property.

Today, we received a letter from Marriott "reminding" us that our Club Dues ($230) was overdue. Attached to the letter was a "Notice Required By The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" in an attempt to collect the "debt" that was owed to Marriott. According to the attachment, although the "Act" permits us to pay Dues within 30 days, "it does not require Marriott to wait until the end of that period before suing us for payment."

I was under the impression that the Abound program was an "annual" commitment versus an ongoing commitment seemingly that will last forever.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
We are owners at Marriott's Barony Beach. Several years ago, we signed up for the Abound program, but decided not to renew this year, because we always stay at our property on Hilton Head. In fact, one of the Marriott representatives told us that the Abound program didn't make sense for us, because we never plan to exchange Barony for different property.

Today, we received a letter from Marriott "reminding" us that our Club Dues ($230) was overdue. Attached to the letter was a "Notice Required By The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" in an attempt to collect the "debt" that was owed to Marriott. According to the attachment, although the "Act" permits us to pay Dues within 30 days, "it does not require Marriott to wait until the end of that period before suing us for payment."

I was under the impression that the Abound program was an "annual" commitment versus an ongoing commitment seemingly that will last forever.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Once you are enrolled, it is an annual commitment as far as paying the club dues. Each year you can decide whether or not you want to actually elect points for your week but that does not affect the annual commitment to pay the club dues. The only way to avoid them would be to disenroll from the club (aka Abound) and lose the ability to elect points for your week. If you did that, then you would likely have to make a significant purchase to re-enroll again in the future, if they offer that option to you at all.

Ronnie B

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quick update. I finally reached someone at Marriott Vacations (the wait time was over 1 hour, so I requested a call-back). They cancelled my Abound membership and removed the $230 charge. I also sent an email to the Present and CEO of Marriott International summarizing my experience and frustration. It may sound like over-kill, but you would be surprised at the attention you often get from the company. I still can't believe that Marriott would send what can only be described as a collection letter (with the threat of a lawsuit) over a voluntary annual membership fee. I personally believe that upper management needs to be aware of the poor customer relations of one its divisions.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Ive heard some explained to that the abound fees (and removal of a la carte fees) are for 2023 VOIs. Are you depositing a 2023 week, or 2022 points? Just wondering...

Quick update. I finally reached someone at Marriott Vacations (the wait time was over 1 hour, so I requested a call-back). They cancelled my Abound membership and removed the $230 charge. I also sent an email to the Present and CEO of Marriott International summarizing my experience and frustration. It may sound like over-kill, but you would be surprised at the attention you often get from the company. I still can't believe that Marriott would send what can only be described as a collection letter (with the threat of a lawsuit) over a voluntary annual membership fee. I personally believe that upper management needs to be aware of the poor customer relations of one its divisions.
so you are completely opting out of abound permanently?

Electing points in exchange for your week is an annual choice. But you have to remain a member to keep that option. Yes if you always use your week every year and don't bank, borrow, exchange, etc, it may not make sense.

Ronnie B

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We look forward to going to Hilton Head every year (since 2006), and therefore have no interest in trading it for a week at another Marriott property. We travel frequently (particularly prior to COVID), so it's just one our trips), consequently it didn't seem to make sense to continue paying the annual Abound fee if we have no intention of trading.