• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Abound Basics for Vistana Owner questions

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
As most of us are I am completely new to Abound and trying to figure out the key strategy to try and utilize the "new" abound points that we have.
Honestly we took them and I am not really sure when I should be looking for reservations to try and maximize my chances of getting a week.

My questions:
1)Will Vistana inventory still show up in Abound at 9 months out or should we be looking farther out? When would be the time to look for a Vistana Resort if we are now looking through Abound?
2)Same question as above but for Marriott inventory - if we wanted to go Thanksgiving somewhere when should we book to maximize the opportunity to go.
3)My II account is still setup to trade using my Vistana week. How do I set this up in order to utilize with the abound points that are now sitting in my account. Do I need a new login and signup? When I go to II now it is asking if I want to use my SVV as a deposit instead of ABOUND points.
4)Banking Abound Points - What are the key dates for banking and do the banked points have limitations?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
As most of us are I am completely new to Abound and trying to figure out the key strategy to try and utilize the "new" abound points that we have.
Honestly we took them and I am not really sure when I should be looking for reservations to try and maximize my chances of getting a week.

My questions:
1)Will Vistana inventory still show up in Abound at 9 months out or should we be looking farther out? When would be the time to look for a Vistana Resort if we are now looking through Abound?
2)Same question as above but for Marriott inventory - if we wanted to go Thanksgiving somewhere when should we book to maximize the opportunity to go.
3)My II account is still setup to trade using my Vistana week. How do I set this up in order to utilize with the abound points that are now sitting in my account. Do I need a new login and signup? When I go to II now it is asking if I want to use my SVV as a deposit instead of ABOUND points.
4)Banking Abound Points - What are the key dates for banking and do the banked points have limitations?
1) It could show up as early as 12 months out if someone elects to trade their VSN week for Abound points.
2) The earlier the better, and at some highly desired resorts during highly desired times the inventory does get all booked up on the first possible day (sometimes within minutes after it is bookable). But if you don't see it, keep checking. You never know when somebody who booked it will decide to cancel.
3) Don't know the answer to that one.
4)
1675012816466.png

Not entirely sure of the limitations as compared to VSN StarOptions.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
3) I do not believe you can use Abound Club Points exchanged from Vistana to trade in II. You still would trade your Vistana week for a week in II.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
3) I do not believe you can use Abound Club Points exchanged from Vistana to trade in II. You still would trade your Vistana week for a week in II.
You can use Abound points to trade in II, just not into Marriott or Vistana resorts. You can still use your underlying VOI to trade through II into Marriott and Vistana. We still know nothing about any new account setup or how they will facilitate point exchanges through II. Even the exchange fee is still there when trying to exchange Vistana to Marriott or Vistana to Vistana.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
You can use Abound points to trade in II, just not into Marriott or Vistana resorts. You can still use your underlying VOI to trade through II into Marriott and Vistana. We still know nothing about any new account setup or how they will facilitate point exchanges through II. Even the exchange fee is still there when trying to exchange Vistana to Marriott or Vistana to Vistana.
@dioxide45 Is there a second skim if you were to trade elected CP into II?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
@dioxide45 Is there a second skim if you were to trade elected CP into II?
I don't think so, but it would be hard to quantify. When you trade points through II, you are trading pure points based on a TDI and unit size grid (Like Vistana Flex programs). But you can also deposit points into II as an actual unit (studio, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 4BR).

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
I don't think so, but it would be hard to quantify. When you trade points through II, you are trading pure points based on a TDI and unit size grid (Like Vistana Flex programs). But you can also deposit points into II as an actual unit (studio, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 4BR).
When you deposit CP in II, isn't it still using that same grid with unit size and TDII?

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - Obviously did not understand Abound when I elected that option.

I would have been much better off keeping my Vistana intact and using II for Marriot trades.

Now I have to figure out if I bank my Abound points to 2024.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
When you deposit CP in II, isn't it still using that same grid with unit size and TDII?
Yes, but when they deposit, they deposit an actual unit placeholder that is the same size as your deposit. They can however be upgraded in unit size when trading and paying the upgrade fee.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

My questions:

For Questions 1 & 2
For Vistana stays, you might find that it’s best to use StarOptions ;)

5E76FF3A-A95C-44AD-83CE-6CF3286C13CB.jpeg
402F5FF8-202F-4182-BB40-40A7456939EB.jpeg
5AAC719C-3D7B-44CD-8142-52C142F8AE0E.jpeg

For Questions 3
Abound II features don’t appear to be completely setup yet for Vistana owners based on previous threads. In the meanwhile you may need to call in but here’s how it works.

CD567E2A-1E4D-4F64-AC5C-A8253A5F1A04.jpeg

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks everyone - Obviously did not understand Abound when I elected that option.

I would have been much better off keeping my Vistana intact and using II for Marriot trades.

Tips from the FAQs (link)

7DFD0033-9500-4AE4-9593-BA697DA7089A.jpeg

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
1. Vistana inventory will show up at 12 months in Abound it seems this way so far. There is early sign that Vistana home resort inventory for deeded owners dries up very quick at 12 months. Some popular resorts, inventory could be gone in few minutes or seconds. But these still available at Abound based on few DPs. We will figure this out with more DPs.
2. Book at 13 months the earliest for Marriott inventory. You need to convert to Abound points first and there is no go back.
3. No. You use SVV to trade in II. Not sure once you convert, you can still trade in II.
4. Depends on your level, I believe.

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since MVC isn't developing new resorts to create more (points) inventory, points inventory is essentially finite and has to sell out at some point, whether that's 5, 10, or 20 years from now. It seems timeshare companies always have to spin and create "something new" when they run out of something to sell. We saw that in the birth of the Vistana Sheraton and Westin Flex products leading to fragmented products. What does the landscape look like when sales reaches the end of Club Points sales? Does secondary market ROFR become more aggressive to keep the machine going? Do they spin and create "something new and exciting?" I know this is all speculation and guessing, but makes for interesting thoughts.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Since MVC isn't developing new resorts to create more (points) inventory, points inventory is essentially finite and has to sell out at some point, whether that's 5, 10, or 20 years from now. It seems timeshare companies always have to spin and create "something new" when they run out of something to sell. We saw that in the birth of the Vistana Sheraton and Westin Flex products leading to fragmented products. What does the landscape look like when sales reaches the end of Club Points sales? Does secondary market ROFR become more aggressive to keep the machine going? Do they spin and create "something new and exciting?" I know this is all speculation and guessing, but makes for interesting thoughts.
But Marriott is creating more inventory -- the Pulse program. They take second tier hotels, rebrand them as timeshares (albeit without kitchens, multiple rooms, and the amenities we have come to expect), and sell the resulting points.

That doesn't work for me; I got into timesharing I want the kitchens, multiple rooms, and amenities. But it doesn't matter to the salespeople; they will sell the idea of a purpose-built timeshare to some and the idea of an urban hotel to others. It seems to be working.

Last edited:

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am in the same situation. I just posted a thread with similar questions prior to seeing this one. The whole thing is a mess. I called Westin, attempted to swap it back to SO, but no go. I had to pay next year's MF (prorated) to book Nanea using SO. Abound is worthless imo so far. Hopefully, it gets better. I still have my 2023 Abound points, and can't figure out the best value/use for it.
My VV at Williamsburg has pulled great exchanges (2 bedrooms Marriott Grand chateau xmas week) for me and is worth more than this Abound imo.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I am in the same situation. I just posted a thread with similar questions prior to seeing this one. The whole thing is a mess. I called Westin, attempted to swap it back to SO, but no go. I had to pay next year's MF (prorated) to book Nanea using SO. Abound is worthless imo so far. Hopefully, it gets better. I still have my 2023 Abound points, and can't figure out the best value/use for it.
My VV at Williamsburg has pulled great exchanges (2 bedrooms Marriott Grand chateau xmas week) for me and is worth more than this Abound imo.
I know the concept of Abound is new but it hasn't been forced upon anyone not wanting to use it. Isn't electing to convert your VOI to Abound without understanding the consequences a bit like buying a top of the range power tool/kitchen gadget and not reading the User Manual?

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what happened. I clicked the convert button too damn fast without due dilligence. We are all learning the hard way. I hope it gets better though. One can only hope. lol

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
But Marriott is creating more inventory -- the Pulse program. They take second tier hotels, rebrand them as timeshares (albeit without kitchens, multiple rooms, and the amenities we have come to expect), and sell the resulting points.

That doesn't work for me; I got into timesharing I want the kitchens, multiple rooms, and amenities. But it doesn't matter to the salespeople; they will sell the idea of a purpose-built timeshare to some and the idea of an urban hotel to others. It seems to be working.
It's even worse than what you say. They are adding Pulse inventory to the Abound "pot", but then selling new owners on the large units and kitchens and beach resorts in the network. They can keep selling Club Points by adding Pulse Inventory, but they aren't adding kitchens and beaches, they're adding hotel rooms in cities. So the competition for traditional timeshare units just gets more and more fierce as more points owners compete for the same inventory.

Unless the Pulse units prove to be really popular, I can foresee a future in which everyone competes for the one, two and three-bedroom beach resorts, while the urban hotel rooms are super easy to book. Maybe there's enough demand for the hotel rooms that my fear won't become reality.

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score

The other day, MVC sent out a form letter that asked a lot of questions about what appeared to be the Pulse program, ascertaining our interests, what we'd like to see offered, etc. I wondered if they are considering more Pulse properties in more destination cities ( which would be great.). It also occurred to me that they might be pivoting to an older crowd who aren't necessarily interested in doing the family vacation thing but still want to travel. Of course, at the rate they move, we probably won't be around to enjoy them.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The other day, MVC sent out a form letter that asked a lot of questions about what appeared to be the Pulse program, ascertaining our interests, what we'd like to see offered, etc. I wondered if they are considering more Pulse properties in more destination cities ( which would be great.). It also occurred to me that they might be pivoting to an older crowd who aren't necessarily interested in doing the family vacation thing but still want to travel. Of course, at the rate they move, we probably won't be around to enjoy them.
That could be interesting for us. We haven't tried the Pulse resorts yet, but do like the destination city ones we've been to through other timeshare systems. We didn't get the form letter, but my input would be to at least give me a decent sink, coffee maker and microwave. Otherwise it's less than I get in hotels.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
That could be interesting for us. We haven't tried the Pulse resorts yet, but do like the destination city ones we've been to through other timeshare systems. We didn't get the form letter, but my input would be to at least give me a decent sink, coffee maker and microwave. Otherwise it's less than I get in hotels.
Nearly all of the Marriott Pulse locations are converted hotel rooms in aging hotels. Sometimes they convert the whole hotel and sometimes just a floor or two. Usually they will have coffee maker and microwave and a small fridge but often that's it. I'm only aware of one Pulse property that's being built new, and that is in Hawaii (Waikiki.) The rest are conversions and so they are largely limited by the existing room sizes and locations of walls and bathrooms, etc.

I would expect the vast majority of any future Pulse locations to be conversions as well. They are reasonably nice but, at least the ones I've visited, not spacious.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Nearly all of the Marriott Pulse locations are converted hotel rooms in aging hotels. Sometimes they convert the whole hotel and sometimes just a floor or two. Usually they will have coffee maker and microwave and a small fridge but often that's it. I'm only aware of one Pulse property that's being built new, and that is in Hawaii (Waikiki.) The rest are conversions and so they are largely limited by the existing room sizes and locations of walls and bathrooms, etc.

I would expect the vast majority of any future Pulse locations to be conversions as well. They are reasonably nice but, at least the ones I've visited, not spacious.
Thanks. I've thought about trying the Pulses in NYC and DC, but like the HGVC ones there. Might try them out in some other locations, but I own in those and get the owners lounge privileges there, plus I think the HGVC ones in NYC are in a better location.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
the part that I really dislike is the fact that yo have to covert to bonvoy points without even knowing if there is any inventory for what you want. so you go convert to Marriott points then go look at inventory for when you want to vacation and now your options are bonvoy points and you cant go back.

THSMTHS

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
American Resorts International (ARI),
Marriott Desert Springs II,
Marriott Ko 'Olina,
Falcon Point,
Marriott Sabal Palms,
Westin Flex,
Marriott DP,
Diamond (Sedona access)

My questions:
If Marriott stays true to form, there will be a point loss, when converting points from one system to another. A choice will have to be made between convenience and point loss. As Vistana owners with a deeded week, we do not have access to Vistana inventory, until 8 mo. out, with the exception of our home resort. Only Flex inventory owners have 12 mo. access. There are separate pools of inventory. Someone in Vistana needs to deposit their points into the Marriott pool for Marriott owners to have access to that inventory. There are certain resorts in Vistana that have limited access due to high demand. It is likely they may not appear in the Abound inventory during high season.