• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AA's policy when THEY change your flight time by more than 2 hours

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have FF tickets to Cancun but AA has changed one of our flights by more tha 2 hours. Can we cancel w/o penalty and have miles redeposited into our FF accounts because of this time change? Thanks.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Yes or you can find flights you like better and have them put you on those.

ptprism

TUG Member
Reaction score
American worked for me

We just got notification from AA that our flights had changed. I looked up the new flights and found out we now had a 9-HOUR layover in Dallas. I didn't know if we'd get attitude because they were award tickets or not, but I figured I would call and ask for some relief.

I got a wonderful customer service person named Carrie who agreed that wasn't a very nice thing for them to do. She changed our reservations (for FOUR) and got us on a much more desirable flight with only a couple of hour layover. No problems at all. Even got us seats together. Mega Kudos to American Airlines Customer service!!!!

lisan

Reaction score
Carolyn said:
We have FF tickets to Cancun but AA has changed one of our flights by more tha 2 hours. Can we cancel w/o penalty and have miles redeposited into our FF accounts because of this time change? Thanks.

Not that it matters, but how does a two hour change in flight plans make it necessary for you to cancel your entire trip? Just curious...

Lisa

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
lisan said:
Not that it matters, but how does a two hour change in flight plans make it necessary for you to cancel your entire trip? Just curious...

Lisa

When I make a determination of whether to use miles for a ticket or whether to purchase it, one of the considerations is the convenience of the flights. If a flight with a less oppressive schedule can be found on, say, Delta or Alaska, then I might purchase it, rather than use my AA miles to fly with a long connection. If I use my miles, and then the connection time is unreasonably increased, I might decide that it is more worth it to pay for the tickets and get better flights.

I don't know that this is Carolyn's situation, but it's probably not appropriate to assume that she is intending to cancel her trip -- rather, just assume that she is intending to cancel this flight.

lisan

Reaction score
Hoc said:
When I make a determination of whether to use miles for a ticket or whether to purchase it, one of the considerations is the convenience of the flights. If a flight with a less oppressive schedule can be found on, say, Delta or Alaska, then I might purchase it, rather than use my AA miles to fly with a long connection. If I use my miles, and then the connection time is unreasonably increased, I might decide that it is more worth it to pay for the tickets and get better flights.

I don't know that this is Carolyn's situation, but it's probably not appropriate to assume that she is intending to cancel her trip -- rather, just assume that she is intending to cancel this flight.

Makes sense...

Thanks for answering my question.

Lisa

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hoc said:

Actually there is a possibility we can't make this trip because of work related issues. It's bad enough we might not be able to go but even worse we have to pay those cancellation and redeposit fees which I think are $100/ticket :mad: Thanks for everyones responses.

Carolyn

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Carolyn said:
Actually there is a possibility we can't make this trip because of work related issues. It's bad enough we might not be able to go but even worse we have to pay those cancellation and redeposit fees which I think are $100/ticket :mad: Thanks for everyones responses.

Carolyn

Carolyn, I just asked this question the other day to AA. If you have to cancel your trip altogether and redeposit the miles into your account, the first ticket is $100, then each one after that (on the same itinerary/reservation) is only $20. Still expensive, but a lot better (less) than I thought......(I thought it was $100/each, too).

My experience in the past is American will let you cancel without any penalty for a two-hour change. Give them a call and good luck.

David