• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A week’s stay at a timeshare for under $400 with RCI or Interval International

Have you used RCI or Interval International?

• RCI

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Interval International

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
In order to keep my costs down living in timeshares all year round, I use both RCI and Interval international for special deals. Usually this means that I book timeshares within two months of my stay. This is when timeshares that have excess capacity lower their prices.

I will be doing a separate blog about “Cliff can’t plan” in a few months where I will stay in “last minute specials” for a month and document my travels including reviews of where I stay. This is just a background of how I will be doing this. It is very exciting because both RCI and Interval International have a lot of places in different locations than my timeshare companies (Marriott, Worldmark, and Hilton). Below is a summary of the costs and the video where I describe in more detail how I do this.

Summary of RCI and Interval International using standard pricing for timeshare owners

• RCI “Last Call”
    • As low as $269 for a studio
    • As low as $294 for a one bedroom
    • As low as $319 for a two Bedroom
  • Interval International
    • “Last call” Price for a studio as low as $332
    • “Last call” price for a one bedroom as low as $342
    • “Last call” price for a two bedroom as low as $472
    • Low demand index as low as $372 for a one bedroom
How to rent a timeshare for under $400

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall Rci adding taxes to last call and extra vacations. Are they still doing that?

Last edited:

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I recall Rci adding taxes to last cell and extra vacations. Are they still doing that?
Yes, they RCI charges tax. I believe it is state tax since California seems to charge a lot. California shows 11%. Vegas was 13%. I think this is related to state and local taxes.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
RCI periodically runs sales on the Last Call weeks. I've seen two bedroom units for $269 plus tax.

We have an II account with one of our timeshares. In regards to both selection and price so far I've yet to see anything in the Getaway Weeks that impressed me. However I keep thinking I'm not looking often enough or in a wide enough range of locations.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure when you began this project, but 2020 was not a true representation of the places/prices that are typically available.
I've been watching this since 2018... I have been planning my escape from reality for some time :).

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI periodically runs sales on the Last Call weeks. I've seen two bedroom units for $269 plus tax.

We have an II account with one of our timeshares. In regards to both selection and price so far I've yet to see anything in the Getaway Weeks that impressed me. However I keep thinking I'm not looking often enough or in a wide enough range of locations.
I've been watching RCI for three years and II for two years. The reason the demand index was so helpful is that I knew right away when the off-peak season was well in advance so I could plan ahead and then wait for the rates to drop as the time got closer... That has helped out a lot. But next year will be a good test assuming the pandemic is halted... Then things will be over-crowded so it will be a really good year to learn..

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have occasionally thought about TS being used for short term housing needs. From a financial point of view the cost of getaways, last call, extra vacations could be cheaper than paying rent in a traditional apartment.

Tripbeat is also another great lower cost option for RCI inventory sometimes even cheaper.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have occasionally thought about TS being used for short term housing needs. From a financial point of view the cost of getaways, last call, extra vacations could be cheaper than paying rent in a traditional apartment.

Tripbeat is also another great lower cost option for RCI inventory sometimes even cheaper.
Thanks .... I will look at tripbeat... I have access to https://gpxvacations.com/resorts/ as part of my Hilton ownership in Marbrisa. I have never used it, but will looking at them as an option.

My timeshare budget is $1452/month for staying full time in timeshares per my budget video. By Summer of next year, I will report back on how much I actually spent.

Cliff

VanX

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
You can book up to 21 nights using RCI points with one booking fee under $400.

We often book longer than 7 nights for a single RCI booking fee.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found it hard to locate RCI points stays of over 7 nights. Any tips on doing this, VanX?

VanX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
I've found it hard to locate RCI points stays of over 7 nights. Any tips on doing this, VanX?

No real tricks so it might just be a matter of a regional difference here in the PNW Canada & Washington State at the various resorts.

In our RCI weeks account there is no option for longer or shorter trips than a week but it seems to be quite common locally with our points membership.

I don’t use date ranges in my searches and I only search by region. Maybe that is one less filter narrowing it down?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You need to get to points inventory when it is first released. If it is your home resort group you can do this at 11 months prior to check in. If it isn't part of your home resort then check at exactly 10 months. The larger the resort, (with the majority of rci points owners vs non converted weeks) the easier it is. Off season is easier than prime. The larger Vacation Village affiliates are fairly easy even if you aren't online at midnight at 10 or 11 months.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Is that $400 just the exchange fee? What about the underlying MFs?

VanX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway

Our RCI booking fee for our Canadian points account is $350 CAD for a week or more, up to 21 days. I think that’s about $279 or $299USD. We usually book a 2 bedroom if we can. Less than a week is often less than $200 CAD booking fee. $150 or $180 CAD is common for a long weekend in Whistler.

Resort maintenance fees are over and above that RCI booking fee. Each resort charges differently and people get different point values.

We happen to get 200k points a year with a 25 year RTU Mexico resort membership (over 10 years remaining) and the maintenance fee also happens to be a booking credit for our home resort. So really it’s just a pre-payment & their is no maintenance fee. The booking credit doesn’t expire so it will just build up each year. Our MF is $521 a year and we visit the resort each year.

We bought the points membership used & it came with a substantial built up booking credit and a free use week, so essentially to us it was free to us and enjoying discounted travel.

We also bought a used membership with a weeks RCI account so we would have both weeks and points. We get 8 weeks a year to use with RCI at 10TPU each. Not exactly sure how it works as this year we somehow ended up with double the RCI TPU’s.

It was a real bargain of a membership at $2k with 24 years remaining and 295 weeks in the membership. So we have 11 weeks a year use & able to be split between RCI and the resort.

This weeks one has no annual resort maintenance fee and there are 6 referrals which we earn $250 per in booking credits, doubles if our referrals buy in along with extra free use nights provided based on the room class they become members for.

We’ve added 4 beneficiaries to the weeks membership and have agreements for their use of the membership for a cost of $2500USD each.

So on this membership we are really ahead over the cost we paid. We’ve also already had 2 referrals but in so we have free use nights for 2021 and booking credits available.

There’s deals to be had out there and if you develop a good circle of friends you can have others you share in the use as well to help offset your travel costs.

Our goal was to get as close to having free Mexico travel as possible since I retire at 55 in May 2021 and we are pretty much there now, plus enjoying RCI around North America.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The exchange fee for 21 days is about $299, which would be about $100 per week in addition to the MF's for those weeks. It's nice not to have to move every week and it brings down the overall cost of the exchange vs booking weekly stays through RCI at $249 exchange fee only per week.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
tschwa2 and VanX, thanks for the tips!

VanX, I'm not sure how exactly how your membership works, but it sounds like a real deal. Can you share the name(s) of the resort(s) you own?

tshwa2, does one look 10 months before the first week one wants to stay, or 10 months before the third week one wants to stay?

VanX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
It isn’t so much about where you buy as it does matter form what you buy when looking for a RTU in Mexico.

Many people buy poorly and there’s a lot of frogs for sale to sort through before you find a sweet deal.

Don’t buy unseen just as you wouldn’t offer on or buy a car without seeing it first. If an owner or sales person won’t share the original membership contract agreement with you then walk away.

You have to be able to do your research to find the diamond in the rough. I sorted through hundreds to get to a short list dozen to then deep dive. Look for what you need.
Had the owner kept RCI current and is selling it also for the same price? Points amount is at what you want. Learn the resorts transfer fee. Can easily exceed $1k. Confirm resort will transfer the membership RCI agreement with the membership in the same fee.

Owners and sales people won’t know membership contract particulars very well or they wouldn’t be selling it. They won’t be able to tell if there is a resort credit or not. Don’t ask directly or you’ll see the price become non negotiable. Buy at a low price where there is member strife as that often applies to current status and not the old contracts from 2000- 2012.

Many 25 year memberships in Mexico on resale read as 2 weeks use allowed per year which may be true or they could referral weeks or bonus weeks. All sellers & sales people I worked with only knew what the good deal was that I bought after all details came through in the final sales agreement after offer and acceptance had already happened.

My 200k points a year flow to RCI from the resort for free but in some contracts there is a $199USD fee to transfer points to RCI.

I could go on and on. Again it’s not so much about which resort as it is about the contract membership terms and conditions as well as benefits documents asssociated to what’s for sale. Without the contract and benefit documents buy nothing.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That is a good idea to spread the fees across multiple bookings... I will happily leverage your experience :).... Thank you.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our RCI booking fee for our Canadian points account is $350 CAD for a week or more, up to 21 days. I think that’s about $279 or $299USD. We usually book a 2 bedroom if we can. Less than a week is often less than $200 CAD booking fee. $150 or $180 CAD is common for a long weekend in Whistler.

Resort maintenance fees are over and above that RCI booking fee. Each resort charges differently and people get different point values.

We happen to get 200k points a year with a 25 year RTU Mexico resort membership (over 10 years remaining) and the maintenance fee also happens to be a booking credit for our home resort. So really it’s just a pre-payment & their is no maintenance fee. The booking credit doesn’t expire so it will just build up each year. Our MF is $521 a year and we visit the resort each year.

We bought the points membership used & it came with a substantial built up booking credit and a free use week, so essentially to us it was free to us and enjoying discounted travel.

We also bought a used membership with a weeks RCI account so we would have both weeks and points. We get 8 weeks a year to use with RCI at 10TPU each. Not exactly sure how it works as this year we somehow ended up with double the RCI TPU’s.

It was a real bargain of a membership at $2k with 24 years remaining and 295 weeks in the membership. So we have 11 weeks a year use & able to be split between RCI and the resort.

This weeks one has no annual resort maintenance fee and there are 6 referrals which we earn $250 per in booking credits, doubles if our referrals buy in along with extra free use nights provided based on the room class they become members for.

We’ve added 4 beneficiaries to the weeks membership and have agreements for their use of the membership for a cost of $2500USD each.

So on this membership we are really ahead over the cost we paid. We’ve also already had 2 referrals but in so we have free use nights for 2021 and booking credits available.

There’s deals to be had out there and if you develop a good circle of friends you can have others you share in the use as well to help offset your travel costs.

Our goal was to get as close to having free Mexico travel as possible since I retire at 55 in May 2021 and we are pretty much there now, plus enjoying RCI around North America.
VanX ... This is amazing... I am learning so much being a member of TUG. I've enjoyed using RCI and I am going to enjoy it more now thanks to your comment!!!

MonicaOnVacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vail Resorts @ Hunter, NY Quarter Ownership (13 Weeks)

Tripbeat looks fantastic, thank much for sharing I had not heard of that.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
tschwa2 and VanX, thanks for the tips!

VanX, I'm not sure how exactly how your membership works, but it sounds like a real deal. Can you share the name(s) of the resort(s) you own?

tshwa2, does one look 10 months before the first week one wants to stay, or 10 months before the third week one wants to stay?
10 months before the start of week 1. It will let you book up to 21 days as long as they are still available.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, tschwa.
...We also bought a used membership with a weeks RCI account so we would have both weeks and points. We get 8 weeks a year to use with RCI at 10TPU each. Not exactly sure how it works as this year we somehow ended up with double the RCI TPU’s.

It was a real bargain of a membership at $2k with 24 years remaining and 295 weeks in the membership. ...
I've never heard of a timeshare like that! Is it also in Mexico? What is the annual MF?

Last edited:

VanX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
Thanks, tschwa.
I've never heard of a timeshare like that! Is it also in Mexico? What is the annual MF?
[/QUOTE]

Hi,

It’s $521USD a year and the same amount as a credit can be used in the year it’s paid. Due by mid January.

Never expires. Well at least until the 25 year membership ends or before off the total nights in the membership are consumed.

Have to manage it to make sure you don’t leave any money behind by expiring the contract.

Last edited: