• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Trip None of Us Relish Taking

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last Friday, the 27th, Cora (my wife) and I had just finished a lovely lunch sitting on the balcony of Parker's Lighthouse on the waterfront of Long Beach, CA, when we received a call from our son. Unfortunately, it was not a happy call.

He called to tell us that his Lola, Cora's 92 year old mom had just passed away. In fact, he had been the one with her when she just stopped breathing. He did all the right things, but it was hard on a 21 year old to face adulthood in such as in-your-face kind of tragedy.

Well, funeral arrangements have now been made and we will be heading out tomorrow on a long journey back to the Vancouver, BC area to be with our family to say our final good by's to Nanay (Filipino for mom).

Since there are 3 of us traveling from here (Cora, our daughter and myself) we have decided to drive up to Canada. We know it will be a long trip. It's not a trip that anyone wants to make, but all of us at sometime have to make.

For those of you who pray, can you put in a prayer or two for us as we go? For those who wish good thoughts and send warm wishes, can you do the same?

Thanks for letting me share.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Rick. It's a rite of passage that nearly all of us will experience as we travel life's path. That doesn't make it any easier. You and your family will be in our thoughts. There's nothing quite as healing as a hug from a loved one, so here's a virtual one {{{HUGS}}}.

Drive carefully and come back soon. This is the way life's supposed to be.

Jim

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Drive carefully, please. Thoughts and prayers to all of you. I feel bad for Ben, but it is good that Nanay had the love of her grandson with her.

Cora's mom's spirit and love will live on in all of you.

{{{ HUGS }}}

Fern and Irene

ginsun88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sending hugs and prayers to your family, Rick and Cora.

Nanay will always be with you in spirit. I know my mom does, as a butterfly!

God bless you all and travel safely,

Grace and family

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Praying for your safe travels and the Lord's peace to surround you.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sending good thoughts and hugs for your family. It must have been so hard for your son, but how nice for his grandmother that he was there for her.

{{HUGS}}

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Rick,

Travel safe and I'm so sorry to hear this -- I'll send prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Best,

Greg

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear your news. Be safe traveling and our prayers are with you and your (and her) family.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Thinking of you and wishing you safe travel.

H

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rick, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Safe travels to you.

Dori

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hugs and prayers to your family....and safety on your trip.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a safe trip and my condolences on the loss of Nanay. Congrats to your son for handling such a tough job so well.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss. My DH and I only have one parent left, my Mom, and she is not in good health. We understand your loss. Be careful and know that she is in a better place with no more struggles. I know you will all miss her.

Sherry

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Good thoughts are with you and your family as you journey home to send Cora's mom to her rest. Safe travels to all, and peace be with you in your grief.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I pray for a safe journey for you and your family. May Lola's life be remembered for all the wonderfulness she brought to the world as you celebrate her life!

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rick, and Cora, my prayers go with you, too, for safe travel, peace, and acceptance. It is so good that you will be there to support your son and d-i-l in this sad time.
May Nanay rest in peace. Healing hugs.... Jean

Holly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rick, we went through the same thing last summer when my Mom passed. 30 miles from Yellowstone when we got the call. Headed back to Bozeman, got a flight, and spent the next 15 hours getting to McComb MS. My heart goes out to you and we are sending prayers your way.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind wishes. It feels good to share this type of thing here on TUG.

Just an interesting note regarding travel. Since the funeral is in Canada I had to get a passport asap. Thankfully, there is a passport agency here in Los Angeles and I spent a couple of hours yesterday turning in the paperwork etc. I had expected to only get a passport card, but was told that by 11am today (about right now) I would have a passport book issued.

Well, this am the agency calls and said they didn't have a copy of my drivers license (though I had it yesterday and gave it to the clerk). So I was a bit worried, but the agent said simply fax or email it over and it would be OK. So I emailed a copy and called him back after a bit. He then called back and said yes, they had it now and there were no problems and my passport would be ready at 11am. Yeah! Way to go State Department! :) It's good to have great service from our federal employees when you need them the most.

Now, just about ready to leave for West LA and get the passport and then carry on up the road and see how far we get tonight.

Again, thanks for all your kind words and thoughts, I cried a bit when I read them to Cora. She is also appreciative for your thoughts and well wishes. :)

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My prayers for your family. Especially give your son a hug. That was quite a responsibility on his shoulders. You all should be proud.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
A prayer for your needs and a wish of good luck.