• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A question about Vacation Club Points and Interval

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am hoping that someone can answer a question that I have regarding Interval and Marriott Vacation club points. Full disclosure: I just bought 1500 points direct from Marriott. I did not finance the transaction. After looking at resale points and fees it was almost an even wash with buying from Marriott as we had used an explorer package to Oceanwatch for a 7 day stay the last week of June with getting 100,000 Bonvoy points. Using that stay plus getting the one-time 3000 Vacation points for an additional future stay means that we paid about $1000-$1500 over asking when I figure in all incentives. (In the past, we were looking at $5-$5.50 per point all in resale cost although I am sure that people have gotten cheaper deals through ebay).

I currently own 2 Vistana timeshares and supplement my travel by buying Interval getaway weeks and I also use a lot of earned Bonvoy points for hotel stays. My goal is to use the points in say an even year only for 3000 points and rent additional points if I need them. Maybe for stays to Aruba, St. Thomas, etc. during June/July as I am linked to the school calendar. (I will not be using the points to exchange to Marriott Hilton Head resorts as I have in the past as I am currently having a house built there for winter breaks and part of the summer). Also maybe use point stays at Pulse locations. Most stays will be for 5 days at most. Lately, we have not been utilizing a full week so there are days that unfortunately go to waste. Although we have gotten great trades in the past to Marriott through Interval, the wait time for confirmed exchanges now is longer and uncertain. I don't want any additional traditional weeks as I want to check in and out when it is convenient to me.

My question is I see the minimum deposit into II is 1000 points which equates to a studio. Can you pay a fee to trade up to say a 2 bedroom if you see it available as an instant exchange during Marriott priority? I know that I can do this with my 2 bedroom Vistana Villages (which has been a nice perk) for $59 per upgrade as I am Interval Platinum. Not really thinking of using this as our main way of exchanging, but it seems that it could be used to my advantage if this was allowed.

Thanks for reading and if you have any other tips and or suggestions, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Anita

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yes you could. The only problem as the points are in a seperate II account, the upgrade fee would be $99 each step and not $59. Unless you upgrade the corporate account to platinum status.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I believe you can use pure trust points for Marriott exchanges in II. But elected points cannot be used for Marriott exchanges in II.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe you can use pure trust points for Marriott exchanges in II. But elected points cannot be used for Marriott exchanges in II.

No, DC Trust Points can only be used with Interval for non MVC resort bookings.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anita,
If you DEPOSIT Marriott destination club points ( or its really a week Marriott deposits for you...) into interval, you can’t exchange to a Marriott.
You can pay the upsize fee to get a larger unit.

have a look at this post-

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No DC Trust Points can only be used with Interval for non MVC resort bookings.
Thanks for the information. I thought it was just elected points could not be used for Marriott trades in II. So I guess exclusions is now expanded to Westins and Sheratons also?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I thought it was just elected points could not be used for Marriott trades in II. So I guess exclusions is now expanded to Westins and Sheratons also?

Not necessarily, but I am not aware of any statement having been made on this (yet anyway)

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. So no exchanging into Marriotts and possibly not into Westins/Shertons (Not conclusive at this time). Does that Marriott exclusion still apply in flexchange? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to determine all possible options to maximize ownership. Thanks.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

I had Marriott turn some leftover DC points into a week and deposit it into II.
I can exchange this week to Westin’s and Sheratons and there is no exchange fee for those.
Have a look at the thread I linked in post 6 where we discussed this.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. So no exchanging into Marriotts and possibly not into Westins/Shertons (Not conclusive at this time). Does that Marriott exclusion still apply in flexchange? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to determine all possible options to maximize ownership. Thanks.

Yes the Marriott exclusion applies always.
DC points must be booked directly if you want to use them to stay at an MVC property.

You can defiantly exchange into Westins and Sheratons with no exchange fee from the corporate account.

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
It makes sense that Marriott would block this idea as Hyatt has blocked this as well in Internal. Here's hoping that Marriott hurries up and drops a cross exchange program with Vistana since I usually trade into Marriotts and would welcome such a benefit. Until then, Interval is my best friend and I will use my new Marriott points purchase for internal point exchanges like I planned all along and rent additional points as needed. Thanks guys.