• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A parents worst phone call....

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
My son and daughter-in-law just returned from Kauai last night.

He almost didn't make it back at all. He one of only three or four other people swimming at Polihale Beach last Wed afternoon.

The waves were rough and continuous. He told us that he kept getting slammed into the surf, swallowed a lot of water and told us he didn't think he was going to make it back to shore.

He finally washed up on a sand bar and was finally able to get back to the beach.

Scared the S**T out of him!!

That's when he told us about the other guy out there that DIDN'T make it back. I found this article about him.

http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2006/12/01/news/news04.txt

When I think about how close this could have been a report about my son instead of Peter Unzeitig, it still scares me.

My heart goes out to the Unzeitig family.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mark, I am so glad that yoyr son and his wife are safe. My prayers go out to the poor family of Peter Unzeitig.

Dori

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank God your son made it back. Polihale Beach is one of my favorite places to visit in Kauai. This past Sept when my husband and I went there, it was nearly deserted with miles of gorgeous beaches and soft sands. The water was as blue and beautiful as in Cancun. I heard the waves in winter are crashing and high, guess your son and the article confirmed it.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My prayers of thankfulness are with you that your son is back home safe and sound. My heart also goes out to the family that lost a loved one.

Lee B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scary, Mark. I've been there but never had an urge to go in. I guess it has some calm days in the summer, though.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's a reminder of how dangerous it is to underestimate the power of the sea, or to overestimate your own abilities.
Hindsight it a perfect science, but maybe the fact that nobody else was in the water there could have warned them of the potential dangers.

Reaction score
That poor family. I'm so glad your son made it back okay. Another reminder of the fragility of life, and also of the power of nature.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Keitht said:
... but maybe the fact that nobody else was in the water there could have warned them of the potential dangers.

"[FONT=arial,helvetica]This is one of the world's most beautiful beaches, but it will never be ranked among the nation's best. The ocean currents are unpredictable and have swept people to their death. There are no lifeguards, but there is an emergency phone. Still, if you get in trouble, help can be a long time coming."
http://www.101thingstodo.com/hawaii/kauai/tours/polihalebeach/index.php

[/FONT]"The entire beach is unprotected from the ocean so surf and currents can be fierce here."
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/beaches/polihale_beach.html

"The entire beach is unprotected from the ocean so surf and currents can be fierce here."

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/beaches/PolihaleStateBeachPark.htm

"Visitors should be very cautious about entering the ocean here because there are strong currents that can quickly sweep a swimmer out to sea."
http://www.kauaidiscovery.com/virtual_kauai_tour/hanapepe+waimea+kekaha/page10/

"The entire beach is unprotected from the ocean so surf and currents can be fierce here."
http://www.hawaiianstyletravel.com/KauaiGuide/Guide153.html

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
daventrina said:
There are no lifeguards, but there is an emergency phone. Still, if you get in trouble, help can be a long time coming.

:eek: :eek:

That must be some huge extension cord so you can use the phone if you get in trouble out in the water.

Even in LA a cell phone at the beach still takes a long time to bring help.

If you're swimming in the ocean you always have to be on your guard and ensure that you (or better you and your buddy) can get back to shore on your own. Thankfully, the OP's son did.