• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A New Form of Inter-Island Travels Looks to Be on the Way

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
DamnedifIknow. Might be. The potential for damage to sea life, other vessels and the plane/boat itself. I would think the inter-island ferries would be hindered by long voyage times and competition with airlines. I'm not a student of what did 'em in.

My recollection of things was it was a combination of shoreline erosion caused by the large wake of the boats, and environmental issues involving collisions with whales and such.

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My recollection of things was it was a combination of shoreline erosion caused by the large wake of the boats, and environmental issues involving collisions with whales and such.

Dave

That's the way I remember it too. There were probably a few other concerns as well.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max

Dave
Because only the Supperferry would cause those problems, and not the other thousands of ships operating in the same water :wall:

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
There were a LOT of excuses brought up as reasons to kill the Superferry, many of which had to do with the ability to bring cars. Some that I remember:
  • people bringing their cars would more easily take plants/rocks/whatever away from one island to another
  • cars would more easily facilitate the movement of invasive species
  • cars coming from more-populated islands would cause heavier traffic on less-populated islands
I'm not saying I agree with any of the above, just that those were objections I read/heard. I was hoping the Superferry would succeed, and bummed that it shut down before I got to try it out.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
There were a LOT of excuses brought up as reasons to kill the Superferry, many of which had to do with the ability to bring cars. Some that I remember:
  • people bringing their cars would more easily take plants/rocks/whatever away from one island to another
  • cars would more easily facilitate the movement of invasive species
  • cars coming from more-populated islands would cause heavier traffic on less-populated islands
I'm not saying I agree with any of the above, just that those were objections I read/heard. I was hoping the Superferry would succeed, and bummed that it shut down before I got to try it out.

And I'm glad it failed for precisely those reasons.

Try to ship a car from Long Beach to Hawaii if its got mud all over it. They won't let you. It's one of the clauses in the contract -- no mud, plant material, etc. Send your car clean.

That wouldn't happen with the ferry. And locals would be just as guilty as tourists -- probably even more so -- considering the amount of 4x4 enthusiasts.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It’s curious that there isn’t a market for a passenger ferry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score

There's a market. It's just that there is also significant opposition.

ScoopKona

Reaction score

The problem is that people will visit a farm on one island, and then without changing clothes or even stomping the mud out of their shoes, go visit the same kind of farm on another island, thus introducing any pests or diseases they picked up.

California is terrified that Hawaiian avocado leaf rust infects their entire ecosystem. That's why nobody is allowed to bring any back to the mainland. And if people wanted to be responsible, they'd wash all their clothes as soon as they return -- and not visit an avocado farm on the way home from the airport.

But people simply don't think. And it's only a matter of time before California avocados are affected by a South American disease which was brought to Hawaii by tourists.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The problem is that people will visit a farm on one island, and then without changing clothes or even stomping the mud out of their shoes, go visit the same kind of farm on another island, thus introducing any pests or diseases they picked up.

California is terrified that Hawaiian avocado leaf rust infects their entire ecosystem. That's why nobody is allowed to bring any back to the mainland. And if people wanted to be responsible, they'd wash all their clothes as soon as they return -- and not visit an avocado farm on the way home from the airport.

But people simply don't think. And it's only a matter of time before California avocados are affected by a South American disease which was brought to Hawaii by tourists.

Then why wouldn't they simply impose a similar agricultural clearing as they do when flying to the mainland? I agree it's an issue, as you mention, but it's not insurmountable. And a passenger ferry would be much nicer than planes.

ETA: I don’t recall any agricultural check when flying intra island. Do you assume ferry passengers will simply have more mud than when they fly? I don’t get that.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
ETA: I don’t recall any agricultural check when flying intra island. Do you assume ferry passengers will simply have more mud than when they fly? I don’t get that.

Airline passengers don't travel with muddy tires. That's the rub. It's bad enough that people simply won't consider the potential damage they can do, spreading pests and diseases. Making it easier for them is counterproductive. And allowing people to move cars easily from one island to another is going to hasten invasive plants/animals/bacteria/mold/etc. And it would be the locals who want to 4x4 every island who do the most damage.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Airline passengers don't travel with muddy tires. That's the rub. It's bad enough that people simply won't consider the potential damage they can do, spreading pests and diseases. Making it easier for them is counterproductive. And allowing people to move cars easily from one island to another is going to hasten invasive plants/animals/bacteria/mold/etc. And it would be the locals who want to 4x4 every island who do the most damage.

I specifically said passenger ferry.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Then why wouldn't they simply impose a similar agricultural clearing as they do when flying to the mainland? I agree it's an issue, as you mention, but it's not insurmountable. And a passenger ferry would be much nicer than planes.

The agricultural check is really about things people might bring with them (fruit, plants, etc.) which could harbor pests which don't exist in Hawaii. It doesn't check people for mud and I doubt if there are many incidents of passengers bringing infested mud across the pond on their shoes. It could happen I suppose, but it's simply not practical to check the shoes of every arriving passenger.

There's no inter island agricultural check when flying because the things they're most worried about don't exist in Hawaii and so there is less need to try to keep anything out. It's certainly possible that someone's muddy shoes could help bring something unwanted from one island to another, but they don't check for that, to my knowledge.

It does seem logical that an inter island car ferry could contribute to the propagation of non-native pests between the islands. But it's hard to imagine how a passenger ferry would be any more of a problem than an airline flight.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
It does seem logical that an inter island car ferry could contribute to the propagation of non-native pests between the islands. But it's hard to imagine how a passenger ferry would be any more of a problem than an airline flight.

I wouldn't be "knives-out" against a strictly passenger ferry. There would still be the problem of people going to a farm on Maui, and then going straight to a farm on Big Island without washing up or changing their clothes. But at least they won't be bringing soil and plant material in their 'roided out 4x4s.

I'm against anything that makes it easier to pollute. Look at the sunscreen thread elsewhere. It's clear that if people were allowed to use lead paint, leaded gasoline and chlorofluorocarbons they would. They would come up with some reason why they're exempt from poisoning the planet rules. "I'm having a bad hair day and must have my can of pre-CFC AquaNet!" (I have a bottle of the offending sunscreen here. I wrote "reef poison" on the bottle with a sharpie. I'll fly it back to Las Vegas, where "damaging the coral reef" isn't much of a concern.)

Mongoose, coqui frogs, christmasberry, strawberry guava, cane toads and fire ants (and a slew of others). It would be nice if we would stop making the same mistake over and over and over. It's only a matter of time before someone introduces rabies, because they're anti-vaxxers and find a way around the quarantine.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The agricultural check is really about things people might bring with them (fruit, plants, etc.) which could harbor pests which don't exist in Hawaii. It doesn't check people for mud and I doubt if there are many incidents of passengers bringing infested mud across the pond on their shoes. It could happen I suppose, but it's simply not practical to check the shoes of every arriving passenger.

The agricultural check is when leaving Hawaii en route to the mainland, not the other way as you suggest.

There's no inter island agricultural check when flying because the things they're most worried about don't exist in Hawaii and so there is less need to try to keep anything out. It's certainly possible that someone's muddy shoes could help bring something unwanted from one island to another, but they don't check for that, to my knowledge.

Then why are a few here stating that it could cause all sorts of issues?

Yup, exactly. My point. :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I wouldn't be "knives-out" against a strictly passenger ferry. There would still be the problem of people going to a farm on Maui, and then going straight to a farm on Big Island without washing up or changing their clothes. But at least they won't be bringing soil and plant material in their 'roided out 4x4s.

I'm against anything that makes it easier to pollute. Look at the sunscreen thread elsewhere. It's clear that if people were allowed to use lead paint, leaded gasoline and chlorofluorocarbons they would. They would come up with some reason why they're exempt from poisoning the planet rules. "I'm having a bad hair day and must have my can of pre-CFC AquaNet!" (I have a bottle of the offending sunscreen here. I wrote "reef poison" on the bottle with a sharpie. I'll fly it back to Las Vegas, where "damaging the coral reef" isn't much of a concern.)

Mongoose, coqui frogs, christmasberry, strawberry guava, cane toads and fire ants (and a slew of others). It would be nice if we would stop making the same mistake over and over and over. It's only a matter of time before someone introduces rabies, because they're anti-vaxxers and find a way around the quarantine.

This is easily solved. Many border crossings (including when entering the USA) requires admission if you spent time on a farm, etc. The islands could have a similar solution. Might be time to think constructively so that there is a good, and easily acceptable, solution.

For myself, whenever I have the option for ground or water travel vs air, I almost always select ground or water. I avoid airports as much as possible (and I’m about to spend lots of time at them over the next few months, so perhaps I’m just feeling a little anxious and that’s influencing my comments here).

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is easily solved. Many border crossings (including when entering the USA) requires admission if you spent time on a farm, etc. The islands could have a similar solution. Might be time to think constructively so that there is a good, and easily acceptable, solution.

For myself, whenever I have the option for ground or water travel vs air, I almost always select ground or water. I avoid airports as much as possible (and I’m about to spend lots of time at them over the next few months, so perhaps I’m just feeling a little anxious and that’s influencing my comments here).

The thing is, if you add that infrastructure to check people going inter-island, how are you going to pay for it? Those costs would probably end up being added to the cost of tickets, and since there are far fewer passengers going on interisland ferries than going to the airport, the costs are spread out among fewer passengers and will add a lot more than security taxes add to your plane tickets. Which then lessens the incentive to use a ferry rather than just fly, which will also happen to be faster.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The agricultural check is when leaving Hawaii en route to the mainland, not the other way as you suggest.

Then why are a few here stating that it could cause all sorts of issues?

Yup, exactly. My point. :)

I should have been more clear. There are agricultural controls going both directions, but you're right that the specific inspection only applies when going back to the mainland. I assume that's because there are pests that exist on the islands that don't exist on the mainland, and vice versa. It would be difficult to implement that kind of inspection in every airport, worldwide, just for flights going to Hawaii, and that's why the inspection only happens when leaving.

But it's just as illegal to bring plants, fruits, cuttings, etc. from the mainland to Hawaii. They often have officers with dogs walking around baggage claim at the airports in Hawaii, if you have a piece of fruit in your bag, they will find it. The fine is significant I think. There are amnesty bins at the airports right before you exit the secured area into baggage claim, so if you've accidentally brought something, that's the time to throw it out.

That's also why you have to fill out the mandatory agricultural form on every flight from the mainland to Hawaii (and probably from international origins too) – and it DOES ask specific questions about what you may be carrying with you.

I have always assumed that the various islands basically shared the same pests, but that might not be true, which is part of the reason there has been resistance to a car ferry.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I should have been more clear. There are agricultural controls going both directions, but you're right that the specific inspection only applies when going back to the mainland. I assume that's because there are pests that exist on the islands that don't exist on the mainland, and vice versa. It would be difficult to implement that kind of inspection in every airport, worldwide, just for flights going to Hawaii, and that's why the inspection only happens when leaving.

But it's just as illegal to bring plants, fruits, cuttings, etc. from the mainland to Hawaii. They often have officers with dogs walking around baggage claim at the airports in Hawaii, if you have a piece of fruit in your bag, they will find it. The fine is significant I think. There are amnesty bins at the airports right before you exit the secured area into baggage claim, so if you've accidentally brought something, that's the time to throw it out.

I have always assumed that the various islands basically shared the same pests, but that might not be true, which is part of the reason there has been resistance to a car ferry.

Yes, that is how I understand it, as well. I just think a passenger ferry would be a nice alternative to flying.

ScoopKona

Reaction score

I'd be totally on board with that. The only thing I'm against is "leaving people up to their own devices." Because clearly the average tourist not only doesn't think about the potential harm they could cause, they're not interested in learning about that.

It's staggeringly selfish to harm an entire people just because someone wants to travel with their pregnant "service" boa constrictor. It's clear we have to have rules, with teeth, and enforcement. Because otherwise it would be a mad stampede to do as much damage as possible.

I don't like flying, either. I like trains.

But I like the added level of inspection and scrutiny which happens at airports. Less invasive stuff will make it island to island, and mainland to island.

The best option would be a decontamination chamber. "OK, granny, head to the booth and we'll spray you good!" I don't think that will go over well.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The thing is, if you add that infrastructure to check people going inter-island, how are you going to pay for it? Those costs would probably end up being added to the cost of tickets, and since there are far fewer passengers going on interisland ferries than going to the airport, the costs are spread out among fewer passengers and will add a lot more than security taxes add to your plane tickets. Which then lessens the incentive to use a ferry rather than just fly, which will also happen to be faster.

This is also a solvable problem.

ScoopKona

Reaction score

I live in fear that the axis deer makes a foothold here. Game over for me.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I live in fear that the axis deer makes a foothold here. Game over for me.
I'm sure I'm ignorant on this issue, so excuse what may be a dumb question. But it seems like it would be pretty easy to prevent someone from bringing a mating pair of deer to an island. They can't be hidden in someone's luggage or stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe. Is that a real threat? How would it happen?

I know there are deer on Moloka'i and Lana'i as well as Maui; they were intentionally introduced and it turned out to be a very stupid thing to do. But shouldn't it be pretty easy to keep them off the islands where they are not currently entrenched? Or maybe they are already on the other islands and I'm unaware of it?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm ignorant on this issue, so excuse what may be a dumb question. But it seems like it would be pretty easy to prevent someone from bringing a mating pair of deer to an island. They can't be hidden in someone's luggage or stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe. Is that a real threat? How would it happen?

I know there are deer on Moloka'i and Lana'i as well as Maui; they were intentionally introduced and it turned out to be a very stupid thing to do. But shouldn't it be pretty easy to keep them off the islands where they are not currently entrenched? Or maybe they are already on the other islands and I'm unaware of it?

They have already been intentionally introduced to Big Island. The state sent hunters and patrolled with helicopters. They say they got 'em all. But reports persist.

All it takes is someone to tranq a few of them and hide them in trunks. Why they want deer here? No idea. Maybe avid hunters.

There's also the matter of coffee leaf rust and coffee borer beetle. Yes, they're here already. But ask anyone -- constantly reintroducing them farm-to-farm and cross-contaminating the islands will make things much worse. Of all the invasives, that one hits hardest -- and not just because it means more work and less money for yours truly. A coffee farmer/worker/lover had to visit an infected farm, and then bring the pests with them -- in unwashed clothes. Whoever did this should have known better.