• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A New Form of Inter-Island Travels Looks to Be on the Way

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Great. More diseases for my coffee and avocados.
Always a ray of sunshine ;). Just be glad they aren't talking about some type of bridge like they did between Hong Kong and Macau.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Always a ray of sunshine ;). Just be glad they aren't talking about some type of bridge like they did between Hong Kong and Macau.

I don't get many tourists showing up and offering to help spray the coffee.

And when I travel to other coffee/avocado areas, I make the effort to pack clean clothes -- you know, so as not to contaminate an entire agricultural region.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I don't get many tourists showing up and offering to help spray the coffee.

And when I travel to other coffee/avocado areas, I make the effort to pack clean clothes -- you know, so as not to contaminate an entire agricultural region.
When do you harvest for 2022?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Harvest has already started. Sadly, the invasive beetles are bad this year. And most farmers are having a real hard time with leaf rust. I've got that under control (somehow). But elsewhere, it's wrecking entire farms.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Harvest has already started. Sadly, the invasive beetles are bad this year. And most farmers are having a real hard time with leaf rust. I've got that under control (somehow). But elsewhere, it's wrecking entire farms.

Welcome to farming. Remember, you were retired. :)

Farming is a tough business and a lot of work.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wouldn't be an issue if tourists could be bothered to wear clean clothes when they travel.

I think you were probably aware of the issue before you started farming.

It's aways something with farming; bugs, disease, too wet, too dry. It's a tough business.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
I seriously doubt that there will be any FAA certification for commercial use by 2025.
And if there was there are no facilities for it to operate in and don't see any being constructed

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I seriously doubt that there will be any FAA certification for commercial use by 2025.
And if there was there are no facilities for it to operate in and don't see any being constructed

It said they won't use pilots, they will be Ship Captains. Would the FAA have any say in that?

They also mentioned using the port that was built for the SuperFerry on Oahu. It didn't mention the other islands.

2025 seems pretty quick to me too but we'll see.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
It said they won't use pilots, they will be Ship Captains. Would the FAA have any say in that?

They also mentioned using the port that was built for the SuperFerry on Oahu. It didn't mention the other islands.

2025 seems pretty quick to me too but we'll see.
Don’t see how they would get out of FAA regulations as it is flying with wings and propellers

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don’t see how they would get out of FAA regulations as it is flying with wings and propellers

You would think they would have pilots too but the article says they will be ship captains. They are still a couple years away so we'll see what cones up as the timeframe gets closer.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope I live long enough to see this technology 'take flight'. There are LOTS of places in the world where 200mph 'ferries' would have a huge draw. NYC/Boston, Around the Japanese islands, LA/San Francisco.

As @slip posited, the difficulty may well be in the transitional part of the voyage when the vessel is on it's hydrofoils at pretty high speeds before it 'lifts off' the sea. How to keep these 'runways' free of other sea traffic and like whales or pods of seals etc.?

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As @slip posited, the difficulty may well be in the transitional part of the voyage when the vessel is on it's hydrofoils at pretty high speeds before it 'lifts off' the sea. How to keep these 'runways' free of other sea traffic and like whales or pods of seals etc.?

Jim

Wasn't that part of the deal killer for the inter island ferry in Hawaii?

Dave

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim
Because it's not all THAT far off the surface, I also wonder how feasible it will be during periods of large waves/open-ocean swells, a very common occurrence in Hawaii, particularly during the winter surf season. Boats are one thing, they can coast over the top most of the time (sometimes with difficulty), but something traveling that fast smacking into the face of a wave/swell?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that part of the deal killer for the inter island ferry in Hawaii?
DamnedifIknow. Might be. The potential for damage to sea life, other vessels and the plane/boat itself. I would think the inter-island ferries would be hindered by long voyage times and competition with airlines. I'm not a student of what did 'em in.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because it's not all THAT far off the surface, I also wonder how feasible it will be during periods of large waves/open-ocean swells, a very common occurrence in Hawaii, particularly during the winter surf season. Boats are one thing, they can coast over the top most of the time (sometimes with difficulty), but something traveling that fast smacking into the face of a wave/swell?
That's why they're testing first 1/4 scale and remotely operated models, then plan to scale up to full size to test safety and practicality. The vessels are intended to operate at about one wingspan above the water surface, and (iirc) that's about 80-100 feet.