• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Mysterious Virus in Central China Has Infected Dozens, Raising Fears of a New Epidemic. Here's What to Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

In New York City, plans are also underway to build emergency hospitals and backfill other hospitals with 1,000 beds in the Javits Center, according to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo. In addition, thousands of doctors and nurses, who are either retired or no longer see patients, have signed up as a "surge health care force," Cuomo said Wednesday.

There are simultaneous effort to procure ventilators for the most severe patients. According to Cuomo, New York has procured 7,000 ventilators in addition to 4,000 already on hand, and the White House said Tuesday that the state would receive two shipments of 2,000 machines this week from the national stockpile. But the state needs 30,000, Cuomo said.

The Strategic National Stockpile said Wednesday that it held approximately 16,660 ventilators before the coronavirus response, and ventilators have been deployed over the past few days.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Think you're too young to be hospitalized by
coronavirus? This chart shows why you're wrong.

Richard
You don’t even know when you’re out of the woods. Both doctors I spoke with yesterday both told me that even though my symptoms first presented with GI effects Feb 28th I’m still not out of the woods. X ray shows inflammation in and on the lungs. If breathing worsens I’m to head to ICU immediately. I’m a lot freaked out right now.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You don’t even know when you’re out of the woods. Both doctors I spoke with yesterday both told me that even though my symptoms first presented with GI effects Feb 28th I’m still not out of the woods. X ray shows inflammation in and on the lungs. If breathing worsens I’m to head to ICU immediately. I’m a lot freaked out right now.
Have they given you any medications, like the Malaria drug?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Were you ever tested?
If you have bronchitis it takes awhile to get better. My cousin had most of your symptoms and was sick on and off for two months in NYC. She is doing good now. She actually went to the doctor and tested negative for the flu and because she never had a fever she didn’t have the test. There are so many different viruses and flus still active, one of the reasons doctors in offices didn’t notice the coronavirus was spreading. By the amount of tests done in NY versus confirmed coronavirus, we can see many other people have something else.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Were you ever tested?
If you have bronchitis it takes awhile to get better. My cousin had most of your symptoms and was sick on and off for two months in NYC. She is doing good now. She actually went to the doctor and tested negative for the flu and because she never had a fever she didn’t have the test. There are so many different viruses and flus still active, one of the reasons doctors in offices didn’t notice the coronavirus was spreading. By the amount of tests done in NY versus confirmed coronavirus, we can see many other people have something else.
X-ray showed Lung walls have inflammation. I also had every covid symptoms for a week 3.5 weeks ago, literally almost every symptom. They ruled out bronchitis, neg for flu and no signs of pneumonia. It’s Been two weeks of shortness of breath and last three days of chest pain. Both doctors have said they won’t test me because I’m not a health care worker. They stopped testing “regular” people unless you’re going to be admitted to the hospital. They are stuck on the fever as a marker to get a test, the state is running behind what the doctors are saying on who should be tested. I get the feeling they don’t want a large number of positive cases. Both looked at me and said we have no doubt it’s corona so go home and isolate and was just told if breathing worsens to get to pulmonary ICU to be admitted immediately. Do not go to the ER. I filled out NY STATE online form to be called for a test, still no phone call.

everyone around here has it. getting a test two weeks ago was fairly easy if you had a cough or fever. They went strict again. The numbers spiked but deaths aren’t spiking yet thank god. Hopefully they won’t.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
X-ray showed Lung walls have inflammation. I also had every covid symptoms for a week 3.5 weeks ago, literally almost every symptom. They ruled out bronchitis, neg for flu and no signs of pneumonia. It’s Been two weeks of shortness of breath and last three days of chest pain. Both doctors have said they won’t test me because I’m not a health care worker. They stopped testing “regular” people unless you’re going to be admitted to the hospital. They are stuck on the fever as a marker to get a test, the state is running behind what the doctors are saying on who should be tested. I get the feeling they don’t want a large number of positive cases. Both looked at me and said we have no doubt it’s corona so go home and isolate and was just told if breathing worsens to get to pulmonary ICU to be admitted immediately. Do not go to the ER. I filled out NY STATE online form to be called for a test, still no phone call.

everyone around here has it. getting a test two weeks ago was fairly easy if you had a cough or fever. They went strict again. The numbers spiked but deaths aren’t spiking yet thank god. Hopefully they won’t.
They are doing thousands of test in NY everyday some Positive some negative. I can’t believe these doctors they are all healthcare workers. If it was me I would be calling to try and follow up on the online form you filled out. Being you have it for weeks and no fever hopefully if you have it it is just the lingering effects and you are on the road to recovery. Flu tests also have many false negatives. My thoughts and prayers will be with you to recover sooner rather then later.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
They are doing thousands of test in NY everyday some Positive some negative. I can’t believe these doctors they are all healthcare workers. If it was me I would be calling to try and follow up on the online form you filled out. Being you have it for weeks and no fever hopefully if you have it it is just the lingering effects and you are on the road to recovery. Flu tests also have many false negatives. My thoughts and prayers will be with you to recover sooner rather then later.
I would order a home-self test that are now available to order.

Richard

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Just read this, seems it is the same near me too. Seems the Criteria getting the test has changed. Mind boggling.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just a note I have received from some of my contacts who work in the northern end of Guatemala. To add some perspective

The school we support has been shut down and gone to distance learning. This wasn't that big of a jump, as the school has been using distance learning to bring instruction into some of the remoter villages, where it is infeasible to bus students into the academy.

Meantime, the buses which had been transporting students are now carrying food. There is concern the government will shut that down, as they have almost all other forms of public transportation.

The shutdown of public transportation now results in people having to walk miles just to reach food markets if they don't live in one of the larger towns. Also almost all food is sold in public markets, not in grocery stores. On market day the markets are crowded. Here is a photo of one part of the market in Chichicastenanga on a market day in January 2011. This is actually a relatively uncrowded part of the market. On the other side of that wall to the left the people in the aisles are packed together, and to get through you put two hands together in front of you like you are doing a breast stroke, insert them between people, and push them aside so you can get through. Social distancing anyone?

JWAV Jan 2011 - 028.JPG

Needless to say, there is very little critical care infrastructure in hospitals. It's almost certain to explode in the region. Most of the population in this region is indigenous Mayan, who have been the target of genocide programs for years. So it's likely that the government will be completely indifferent to what happens here as the situation in Guate City or the tourism engines of Antigua and Atitlan will certainly consume whatever scant resources there are.

Meanwhile, next door in Nicaragua the government is actually encouraging people to get out and mingle and join in political rallies and demonstrations. I have heard of one NGO observer who has suggested this may be a cynical ploy by the government to kill off the infirm and elderly, as a way of reducing health care costs.

And this is a third world respirator, out in the countryside:

1585223106802.png

In much of the third world "flattening the curve" really isn't a strategy. It's going to be herd immunity, because there isn't any other realistic option.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Delete

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Here is a medical news article about hydroxychloroquine (also called Plaquenil) written for rheumatologists. Understand that this is NOT a scientific article from a peer-reviewed medical journal. Think of this as a newspaper for rheumatologists. But it will bring you more up to date on the science:

I did read the French study a few days ago (it took a couple of clicks to get to it from a link posted here on TUG), and I agree that it is a flawed study. There were a number of patients who were not included in the final analysis. Essentially, the authors wrote "a bunch of our patients couldn't tolerate this drug because of side effects or, oops, they got really sick or died. So we excluded them from the final analysis. And if we exclude those individuals, wow, our results are really great!" Sorry, but I don't think you get to exclude dead people or treatment failures from your analysis.

One more thing that no one seems to be talking about. The usual dose of Plaquenil for rheumatoid arthritis or lupus is 200 mg twice daily. In the French study, the dosage was 200 mg three times daily. I saw no comment in the French paper about side effects of hydroxychloroquine or the hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin combo other than those comments that they had to drop some people from their analysis because they could not tolerate the drug or got severely ill or died.

Years ago, then-Mayor Marion Barry said, "Outside of the killings, Washington, DC is one of the safest cities in the country."

It's all about fudging the data.

Reactions: RX8

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Have they given you any medications, like the Malaria drug?
No, they gave me inhalers and said if it gets worse get to hospital. I’m fine now actually it’s just shortness of breath and the inflammation that’s worrisome. I will be fine I know it. So many people in this city have it. Two of my friends just got it and they have been inside just going to get food at the market once or twice and they picked it up. For me I was congested with the thickest mucus of my life, diarrhea, nausea, fever, aches, painful watery eyes almost like a pink eye, sore throat, cough, Back and joint aches. I’m relatively healthy and take vitamins and started working out again a month before my symptoms. After the GI stuff the first few days the sore throat, chills and fever only lasted a day when I started taking A LOT of vitamin C. Aches and cough lasted a few days. Then just a cough for another few days with congestion then The shortness of breath came and hasn’t left yet. When I had the chest pain I decided I needed to speak to someone. For the duration and symptoms I feel blessed I didn’t have it worse. I can’t imagine some of the stories I’m hearing/reading
They were doing much more tests last week. I know two other people who also are waiting for “call backs” to schedule testing. My sister in law is a physician at NYU and she won’t be tested even though she was directly exposed but is asymptomatic. She tried getting me tested, because I don’t have a fever currently the direction is stay home. If you have to be admitted we will then test you. I’m actually fine now. All of the symptoms were 3.5 weeks ago and lasted a week and half. The last two weeks have been dry cough and shortness of breath with chest pain coming the last few days. I feel fine like I said, just the shortness of breath and chest pain which is scarier than all the other symptoms. I asked the doctor after a month shouldn’t I be on my way out of it? They responded with its serious because we don’t know about this virus and people respond differently. I’m supposed to monitor my breathing and if it changes get to the hospital without delay. The chest X-ray showed inflammation which is alarming to them but I’m optimistic but still have concerns. Being in nyc, there are many sick with this.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
No, they gave me inhalers and said if it gets worse get to hospital. I’m fine now actually it’s just shortness of breath and the inflammation that’s worrisome. I will be fine I know it. So many people in this city have it. Two of my friends just got it and they have been inside just going to get food at the market once or twice and they picked it up. For me I was congested with the thickest mucus of my life, diarrhea, nausea, fever, aches, painful watery eyes almost like a pink eye, sore throat, cough, Back and joint aches. I’m relatively healthy and take vitamins and started working out again a month before my symptoms. After the GI stuff the first few days the sore throat, chills and fever only lasted a day when I started taking A LOT of vitamin C. Aches and cough lasted a few days. Then just a cough for another few days with congestion then The shortness of breath came and hasn’t left yet. When I had the chest pain I decided I needed to speak to someone. For the duration and symptoms I feel blessed I didn’t have it worse. I can’t imagine some of the stories I’m hearing/reading

They were doing much more tests last week. I know two other people who also are waiting for “call backs” to schedule testing. My sister in law is a physician at NYU and she won’t be tested even though she was directly exposed but is asymptomatic. She tried getting me tested, because I don’t have a fever currently the direction is stay home. If you have to be admitted we will then test you. I’m actually fine now. All of the symptoms were 3.5 weeks ago and lasted a week and half. The last two weeks have been dry cough and shortness of breath with chest pain coming the last few days. I feel fine like I said, just the shortness of breath and chest pain which is scarier than all the other symptoms. I asked the doctor after a month shouldn’t I be on my way out of it? They responded with its serious because we don’t know about this virus and people respond differently. I’m supposed to monitor my breathing and if it changes get to the hospital without delay. The chest X-ray showed inflammation which is alarming to them but I’m optimistic but still have concerns. Being in nyc, there are many sick with this.

Stay positive! Drink lots of liquids, etc.

How’s your family?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Stay positive! Drink lots of liquids, etc.

How’s your family?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have been drinking a lot and taking a lot of vitamin C. Funny thing is I’ve been checking in on them like a hawk and I’ve been the one sick, go figure. I live alone so I’m not infecting anyone. I have also been stocked up so self isolating has been easy.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you! I have been drinking a lot and taking a lot of vitamin C. Funny thing is I’ve been checking in on them like a hawk and I’ve been the one sick, go figure. I live alone so I’m not infecting anyone. I have also been stocked up so self isolating has been easy.
I feel for you. Self isolating is hard with company. I can imagine how hard it is by yourself being sick.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Vexing questions about COVID-19 scientists still can't answer.

Richard

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I feel for you. Self isolating is hard with company. I can imagine how hard it is by yourself being sick.
It’s quite easy. I enjoy it to be honest

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Wow :thumbup:

The Javits Center operation -- the 1,000-bed project developed by the state and the four 250-bed FEMA-run and staffed areas -- will be fully operational by Monday, Cuomo said Friday. As he told personnel, "You built a hospital in a week." The Manhattan center will house non COVID-19 patients to help take some of the non-viral loud off the shoulders of hospitals.
Cuomo is looking into four new potential sites for temporary hospitals as well: Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, the Aqueduct Racetrack facility in Queens, CUNY Staten Island, and the NY Expo Center in the Bronx. Each would have 1,000 beds. Cuomo said he would ask Trump to authorize the plan later Friday. The governor said Friday he was suspending all non-essential construction in the state, though declined to give specifics. Presumably, work on hospital infrastructure continues.
There are a number of FEMA-run field hospitals going up in New Jersey as well, including one at the sprawling Meadowlands complex just across the river.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo made an emotional speech to the National Guard on Friday, thanking them for converting the Jacob K. Javits Center in Manhattan into a hospital.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
CPNY please feel better soon and keep us posted.
Thinking of you.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@CPNY sending you good wishes for a fast recovery. On the positive note, you might be able to travel sooner than the rest of us if it proves that you have immunity...think of all the great travel deals...and no crowds!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@CPNY sending you good wishes for a fast recovery. On the positive note, you might be able to travel sooner than the rest of us if it proves that you have immunity...think of all the great travel deals...and no crowds!
For once I would welcome the crowds! That would mean this whole thing would be behind us lol. Thank you for the wishes. Had a rough one today where shortness of breath lead to a panic attack and more shortness of breath and chest pain. I just reached out to a local hospital because they are collecting blood serum to begin antibody treatment. Hopefully I’ll qualify and learn a few things and help others. After reading and hearing stories of others with this, I had an extremely mild case it’s just lasting a month at this point since first symptom, possibly longer since other symptoms may have been so mild.

terrygee

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what flattening the curve is about. It is prolonging the epidemic to be able to provide more health care to the most severely affected, and also possibly develop and deploy countermeasures before everyone is exposed. But that absolutely comes with a cost - the cost being prolonged shutdown. And I wonder about the ability of governments to actually be able to make all of the financial commitments that are being made. Where is the money going to come from if the economy is shut down and taxes aren't being paid. Who is going to buy government debt if there isn't confidence in the ability of the government to repay that debt?
The Federal Reserve will buy ALL the debt as bonds using money it creates out of.. nothing.
How cool is that?
(Look at a dollar bill.)

Status
Not open for further replies.