• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2020] A little stock market sense

Brett

Reaction score
You can't avoid risk. There is risk in everything. With cash you have inflation risk. With a pension you have counterparty risk. With stocks, market risk. With bonds, CDs ect there is interest rate risk, and on and on. All one can do is manage these risks best they can...

George

For sure

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago we saw a relative who has extreme political views. He advised us to buy gold and silver coins, bury them in several locations, keep some in our home so that when those that observed us buying these coins came to steal them they would not kill us.
I asked him if he had shared his burial locations with anyone in case something happened to him he said yes.
He is expecting a massive crash that is planned by the Chinese. we will then dig up our coins and use them to purchase necessities.
He recently shared a long intricately plotted plan by certain politicians to declare martial law on Wednesday January 6 to overturn the election.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
A few years ago we saw a relative who has extreme political views. He advised us to buy gold and silver coins, bury them in several locations, keep some in our home so that when those that observed us buying these coins came to steal them they would not kill us.
I asked him if he had shared his burial locations with anyone in case something happened to him he said yes.
He is expecting a massive crash that is planned by the Chinese. we will then dig up our coins and use them to purchase necessities.
He recently shared a long intricately plotted plan by certain politicians to declare martial law on Wednesday January 6 to overturn the election.
♂️♂️ Reminds me of Cousin Eddie in Las Vegas Vacation

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
New ETFs based on momentum. They change holdings every month. Check out WIZ and DUDE

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know someone who is similar to your relative but his behavior does not have anything to do with politics. He is paranoid about Uncle Sam watching all his moves. He does not have a bank account and buries his money in his backyard.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know someone who is similar to your relative but his behavior does not have anything to do with politics. He is paranoid about Uncle Sam watching all his moves. He does not have a bank account and buries his money in his backyard.
Mine us paranoid about Uncle Sam too

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

I tend to lump this type into the preppers category, though admittedly there are various sub-categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
All I know is that the market's been on a tear lately.
So, I'm taking some profits to stash ammo for the next correction.

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score

BOB or Best in Breed will be out soon, maybe Feb 1. I plan to buy both DUDE and BOB with any extra cash I have every month. I own WIZ and it is up 28 percent for one year and it holds 20 percent bonds. So it is conservative compared to DUDE. BOB is supposed to be in the middle, less aggressive than DUDE but more than WIZ.

When the trend turns down, all of them go to bonds, gold or cash and later will buy back in when the trend turns up. In the long term, they will outperform the market. Great for non retirement accounts and easy to stay long.

Brett

Reaction score

BOB or Best in Breed will be out soon, maybe Feb 1. I plan to buy both DUDE and BOB with any extra cash I have every month. I own WIZ and it is up 28 percent for one year and it holds 20 percent bonds. So it is conservative compared to DUDE. BOB is supposed to be in the middle, less aggressive than DUDE but more than WIZ.

When the trend turns down, all of them go to bonds, gold or cash and later will buy back in when the trend turns up. In the long term, they will outperform the market. Great for non retirement accounts and easy to stay long.

sector surfer momentum fund "DUDE"

This mutual fund tries to determine whether the stock market is going up or down and then invests to maximize returns
It will be interesting to see the long term results ....

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
sector surfer momentum fund "DUDE"

This mutual fund tries to determine whether the stock market is going up or down and then invests to maximize returns
It will be interesting to see the long term results ....

We'll see if they can "jazz the glass" or "pearl" their list. . .

PeterS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Interesting topic... A couple questions... Why would you say "Great for non retirement accounts and easy to stay long"?
It looks like the conservative stance and the ability to shift in market drops would work well in retirement accounts.
Also I tried to find info on fees for these (if any) and can't find them listed. Any info on that?
Thanks, PeterS

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Also I tried to find info on fees for these (if any) and can't find them listed. Any info on that?
Thanks, PeterS

I find that etfdb.com is a good source for basic info on ETFs. Currently, though, I only see data there on WIZ, which has an expense ratio of 0.95%.

As an aside, there is also a useful site for closed end mutual funds: cefconnect.com

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fees on all are around one percent. But if you are beating the index, by 10 percent or more and taking less risk, I don’t care about fees. They move to bonds, gold or cash when the trend turns down. That happens about 10-15 percent from the top, but it is better to be out then and not ride out a 30-50 correction. It does a 1035 exchange when it moves to other sectors, so no tax to pay until you sell. That is why I recommend these for non-retirement accounts.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good source for scanning best stocks or ETFs. I went overboard on clean energy ETFs about six months ago. I just picked the best SCTR and they all did well. Selling some right now, but still hold six ETFs like TAN, PBW, QCLN, SMOG, FAN, etc.... These are good for retirement accounts because I trade a lot.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Everybody wants to get into the act.

Here's another risk management ETF that I just read about, the Global X Adaptive U.S. Risk Management ETF (ONOF).

Brett

Reaction score
Everybody wants to get into the act.

Here's another risk management ETF that I just read about, the Global X Adaptive U.S. Risk Management ETF (ONOF).

yes, everybody wants to get in on the "act"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/warren-buffetts-latest-challenger-will-fizzle-like-the-rest-11610204581

"Fund managers are often compared with dart-throwing monkeys. That might be too flattering for those who get the most attention. Hot funds’ performance is often worse than random on the downside"

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
yes, everybody wants to get in on the "act"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/warren-buffetts-latest-challenger-will-fizzle-like-the-rest-11610204581

"Fund managers are often compared with dart-throwing monkeys. That might be too flattering for those who get the most attention. Hot funds’ performance is often worse than random on the downside"

Brett, I saw that article in the WSJ. I had bought ARKK ETF in a October at $103. It has done quite well closing about $141 today. Will it (she the manager) stand the test of time in performance...who knows? I thought the strategy made sense and I liked the holdings.

I’m looking for a good ETF that focuses on the electric Vehicle market. There are so many players and angles to invest in from...battery makers, lithium miners, charging stations and the manufacturers and parts suppliers.
I’ve seen a couple out there but nothing that really impressed me.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brett

Reaction score
Brett, I saw that article in the WSJ. I had bought ARKK ETF in a October at $103. It has done quite well closing about $141 today. Will it (she the manager) stand the test of time in performance...who knows? I thought the strategy made sense and I liked the holdings.

I’m looking for a good ETF that focuses on the electric Vehicle market. There are so many players and angles to invest in from...battery makers, lithium miners, charging stations and the manufacturers and parts suppliers.
I’ve seen a couple out there but nothing that really impressed me.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sorry, I do not have any stock market tips

Except large cap stock index funds (ETF) for the long term.
and maybe some mid and small cap and international funds for diversification

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dumped a lot of my mutual funds and some other investments in October for two reasons. Election fears and tax efficiency. Some mutual funds throw off huge capital gain distributions but the total value remains the same. I am saving a big amount on taxes this year

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I had no idea the Dow was climbing like this. I just checked current numbers. I am thinking of closing our Roths to use for MF's for the next few years. We put some of our Roth money into an annuity years ago and won't touch that for a long time.

I don't really care to learn a lot about our investments, Rick listens to the advice of our former pastor who is a Primerica advisor. Primerica is kind of a multi-level marketing company because he pushed to get us to sign up, kind of like Amway, and I told him to stop asking us because we have enough on our plate. Pushed our son into trying it and he failed because he cannot sell anything.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I dumped a lot of my mutual funds and some other investments in October for two reasons. Election fears and tax efficiency. Some mutual funds throw off huge capital gain distributions but the total value remains the same. I am saving a big amount on taxes this year
Did you reinvest the proceeds back into the market immediately after you sold? If not, you have missed a market rise of 10% since October. And don't you now have to pay tax on the capital gains of what you sold? Not seeing where you saved yourself anything, but I could be wrong.

Kurt

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you reinvest the proceeds back into the market immediately after you sold? If not, you have missed a market rise of 10% since October. And don't you now have to pay tax on the capital gains of what you sold? Not seeing where you saved yourself anything, but I could be wrong.

Kurt
No i know I missed a 10 per cent rise but the fund was a big loser, so I took a giant winner a year early and balanced them. I figure there will be another drop and I can get back in then.