• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A-Line commuter train from Denver Union Station to DEN airport

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We’re planning a trip this November that will end in Denver at a hotel across from the Union Station. I’m wondering about the feasibility of three senior adults riding the A-Line to the airport, with luggage in tow. We’ll probably have two or three full size suitcases as well as carryons, which we’d be prepared to manage through the airport, but I haven’t seen any clear information about what riding the train with it would entail. We’ll only be in Denver for a day, so we’re trying to decide whether to rent a car or not. Anyone with experience riding the A-Line to the airport with luggage?

Thanks!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
No personal experience but some friends took the train from the airport to Union Station with no issues. If you are only in Denver for one day I wouldn't rent a car.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No personal experience but some friends took the train from the airport to Union Station with no issues. If you are only in Denver for one day I wouldn't rent a car.
Thanks! Did they say anything about handling luggage? Is there a place to stow the larger pieces during the trip? The RTD website says there are overhead bins (not practical for checked-size) and also mentions a place for larger items “like skis and snowboards” (that in my mind stand up leaning against a wall) - not sure that it accommodates suitcases!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks! Did they say anything about handling luggage? Is there a place to stow the larger pieces during the trip? The RTD website says there are overhead bins (not practical for checked-size) and also mentions a place for larger items “like skis and snowboards” (that in my mind stand up leaning against a wall) - not sure that it accommodates suitcases!
I don't think they mentioned anything about luggage storage. They were only in Denver for a week I don't think they had much luggage and they are younger than I am, like in their early 50's.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
We’ll probably have two or three full size suitcases as well as carryons, which we’d be prepared to manage through the airport,
If you arrive on the 'B' or 'C' concourses, you will have to take elevators/escalators down to the train to the main terminal then back up, walk to different elevators/escaltors, then back down to rental car shuttles or the RTD A-line train.

If you can manage the airport train from the concourse to the main terminal, you can manage the trip on the A-line to downtown. It will be MUCH more convenient than rental car shuttle, waiting in line for car, finding parking in downtown Denver, then the reverse hassle to return the rental car. There are steps into and out of Union Station, but there is sure to be handicap accessible ramps for wheeled luggage.

Here is a picture I found online for the luggage storage area on the RTD A-line train cars.

Attachments

• A line car interior.jpg
    A line car interior.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 19

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you arrive on the 'B' or 'C' concourses, you will have to take elevators/escalators down to the train to the main terminal then back up, walk to different elevators/escaltors, then back down to rental car shuttles or the RTD A-line train.

If you can manage the airport train from the concourse to the main terminal, you can manage the trip on the A-line to downtown. It will be MUCH more convenient than rental car shuttle, waiting in line for car, finding parking in downtown Denver, then the reverse hassle to return the rental car. There are steps into and out of Union Station, but there is sure to be handicap accessible ramps for wheeled luggage.

Here is a picture I found online for the luggage storage area on the RTD A-line train cars.
Thank you so much for the photo! We could handle that. We’ll be traveling from Union Station to the airport, and I read on the airport website that there’s an area on the level where the train arrives where we can check our luggage before we go up to security and the gates. That would be very convenient!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thank you so much for the photo! We could handle that. We’ll be traveling from Union Station to the airport, and I read on the airport website that there’s an area on the level where the train arrives where we can check our luggage before we go up to security and the gates. That would be very convenient!
I don't know if this service is available at the Denver Union Station, but dh and I used some type of porter service a few years ago where the porter took us, and our luggage on board. He even showed us where the best seats for viewing would be. I was thinking it was at New York Penn Station, but as I think harder it was actually in Montreal.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know if this service is available at the Denver Union Station, but dh and I used some type of porter service a few years ago where the porter took us, and our luggage on board. He even showed us where the best seats for viewing would be. I was thinking it was at New York Penn Station, but as I think harder it was actually in Montreal.
Thanks, I appreciate the information. Now we’ve decided to rent a car for the day we’ll be in Denver, so we can explore a little outside the city, and return it at the airport the next morning. Hopefully, riding the rental car shuttle from car drop off to the terminal will be easier, or at least no more difficult, than riding the train!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The train is so easy. So easy to get luggage onto the train, too. Downtown Denver can be a nice place to visit. I have not been since the tents went up in the various areas. I have heard from firefighters Rick worked with that some of the areas of downtown are pretty unsavory and buildings have been graffitied and it's a little sketchy. The hotel check-in desk can help you get to areas that have been cleared.

You can also take the train to Golden and uber to a hotel in Lakewood/ Golden.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The train is so easy. So easy to get luggage onto the train, too. Downtown Denver can be a nice place to visit. I have not been since the tents went up in the various areas. I have heard from firefighters Rick worked with that some of the areas of downtown are pretty unsavory and buildings have been graffitied and it's a little sketchy. The hotel check-in desk can help you get to areas that have been cleared.

You can also take the train to Golden and uber to a hotel in Lakewood/ Golden.
Great information, thanks! My dad, who’s financing this trip and will be 96 at the time, really wants to drive outside the city (my DH being the actual driver) during the day and have dinner at the Buckhorn Exchange that evening, so I’ve got the train as Plan B for traveling from our downtown hotel to the airport the next morning.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Great information, thanks! My dad, who’s financing this trip and will be 96 at the time, really wants to drive outside the city (my DH being the actual driver) during the day and have dinner at the Buckhorn Exchange that evening, so I’ve got the train as Plan B for traveling from our downtown hotel to the airport the next morning.
You can just go directly to Golden from DEN. But that station is kind of in a big open space. I don't go to Golden that often. I can ask our friend who lives very close to the station if a rental car place is nearby. Seems a hotel may have popped up by now. We drive everywhere and don't really look for hotels near the lightrail stations. Renting a car out of Denver airport might be expensive, but it could be convenient for getting around. Most places in Denver do not charge for parking, like Museum and Zoo, both in the same area. If you go to Boettcher or the convention center, parking has a fee. They may have free parking in handicapped spots on the street.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can just go directly to Golden from DEN. But that station is kind of in a big open space. I don't go to Golden that often. I can ask our friend who lives very close to the station if a rental car place is nearby. Seems a hotel may have popped up by now. We drive everywhere and don't really look for hotels near the lightrail stations. Renting a car out of Denver airport might be expensive, but it could be convenient for getting around. Most places in Denver do not charge for parking, like Museum and Zoo, both in the same area. If you go to Boettcher or the convention center, parking has a fee. They may have free parking in handicapped spots on the street.
Thanks, we’re set for hotel in Denver. I appreciate your offer very much, though!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I was going to say that if you only have one day in Denver that I would just concentrate on Denver. But then I saw that your dad is the one who wants to take a drive outside the city.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
and return it at the airport the next morning.
I-70 is under a major rebuild project from I-25 to I-225. To access DIA from downtown Denver, take I-25 north to I-270 east, then join I-70 east to Pena Blvd.

If you are returning the car on a weekday morning, allow a lot of extra time for stop-and-go traffic delays.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I-70 is under a major rebuild project from I-25 to I-225. To access DIA from downtown Denver, take I-25 north to I-270 east, then join I-70 east to Pena Blvd.

If you are returning the car on a weekday morning, allow a lot of extra time for stop-and-go traffic delays.
Thank you! If we’re coming from the area around Union Station on a Thursday morning, how much time should we allow? I think we might want to change our flight time!

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! If we’re coming from the area around Union Station on a Thursday morning, how much time should we allow? I think we might want to change our flight time!
I am the type of person who would rather get to my gate an hour early than 10 minutes after they closed the door. If it were me and it was between 7:30 a.m. and 10 a.m., I would leave the hotel 2 hours before my check-in time plus another hour to check-in, get through security, take the train to the course, and walk to the gate. Taking the train instead would probably save about an hour and 15 minutes of transit and car rental return time.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am the type of person who would rather get to my gate an hour early than 10 minutes after they closed the door. If it were me and it was between 7:30 a.m. and 10 a.m., I would leave the hotel 2 hours before my check-in time plus another hour to check-in, get through security, take the train to the course, and walk to the gate. Taking the train instead would probably save about an hour and 15 minutes of transit and car rental return time.
Thank you so much! Very helpful! We’re exactly the same - much rather way early than a little late!