• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Guide to the Tax Changes

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This California gal cannot stand humidity. Will likely establish residence in Reno or Vegas and rent the rest of the year in Calif or Hawaii as a "snowbird."

If we can swing it by establishing a property LLC, we may rent back our own properties in Calif. to get the full SALT deduction and write off all our maintenance fees and property costs to boot as a small business. We can VRBO them when we are in Nevada to offset costs.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This California gal cannot stand humidity. Will likely establish residence in Reno or Vegas and rent the rest of the year in Calif or Hawaii.
+1

When my husband really wanted to retire outside of California, he wanted to check out Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Texas. I said, no, hell no - precisely, as I don't do well with humidity and don't want to live in hurricane or tornado country. He said to check it out anyway as I might change my mind. We happened to have a conference in Orlando Florida and added on a few days on the front end in a coastal area north of Orlando (don't remember which part). After 1 day, my husband said "This is so humid and dreary." We cancelled an appointment with a realtor and spent the time feeling miserable before heading down to Orlando.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 agree on Florida humidity, however winter is nice. Austin area of Texas is nice - looks like Northern California with oak trees. I don't know about summer weather, but rest of the year is nice.

geekette

Reaction score
+1

When my husband really wanted to retire outside of California, he wanted to check out Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Texas. I said, no, hell no - precisely, as I don't do well with humidity and don't want live in hurricane or tornado country. He said to check it out anyway as I might change my mind. We happened to have a conference in Orlando Florida and added on a few days on the front end in a coastal area north of Orlando (don't remember which part). After 1 day, my husband said "This is so humid and dreary." We cancelled an appointment with a realtor and spent the time feeling miserable before heading down to Orlando.
I have never understood the appeal of Florida. Humidity is indeed terrible, but probably my larger fear is to get eaten by a gator.

I also am apparently an oddball that enjoys change of seasons. Today is unexpected ice driving. I don't mind adventures in driving, keeps me sharp, but this was a dicey go of it that I would not have attempted were it not for important med appts today. When retired, I will have the choice of leaving home or not, my mother cancels appts when she can't leave home safely. I like snow driving but usually remain parked with ice unless I really must go out. I prefer this to having to consider AC as a critical need. I can get by without electricity here for days, even in -40 temps.

In the past few years I have come to the conclusion that this is my home and I don't want to leave home for the final chapter of my life.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Our Minnesota relatives feel the same way; they are puzzled why we don't want to visit them during Christmas holidays!

geekette

Reaction score
Our Minnesota relatives feel the same way; they are puzzled why we don't want to visit them during Christmas holidays!
lol. I would visit! It has been odd for me the years I have gone to Houston for Christmas (sis moved there in the 80s). Using an outdoor pool in winter is plain strange to me.

Cold just requires the right gear. I love my long washable down coat and get a lot of use out of it (Burlington Coat Factory has long been my go-to in coat selection; huge variety, excellent prices). -40 doesn't bother me but at the start of every winter, I put my ankle-length wool cape, extra socks and extra shoes into the trunk. In my family, "foul weather gear" is just something you have on hand so it's there in case you need it. I know I will drive in any weather and may get stuck on the road for any number of reasons. I want to be able to hike out of trouble if necessary. Sure, I look like Grim Reaper in that giant black cape, but, hypothermia won't get me since I can put it on over even the bulkiest coat.