• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Good Problem...

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My DD and SIL are expecting our third grandchild at the end of July. I am a retired teacher so, until recently, we always traveled during the summer and school vacations. We have three summer weeks - one in Cape Cod, one in NH and one in PA - one is in July, one is August and the third is a float. We use two of the three every year. Because of her due date, we deposited all three weeks for this year. With a few leftovers we now have 112 TPUs. I guess the good new on that is that we aren't going to "lose" any weeks. But, geez, 112 points? If we get to travel next year, we will have enough points for almost anything. In addition, we have Wyndham points but a lot of our 231,000 points was spent on Smugglers Notch in mid June so that our oldest grandson, who is on the Spectrum, could enjoy their SNAP program. That isn't looking too good either right now. So, if we can travel in 2021, we are going to have a boatload of TPUs and points but, we will also still have three timeshare weeks to use. I just don't know that I can use them all. Not a real problem, just odd for us.

I am thinking that I could book a desirable week in Orlando and raffle it off to benefit our local food bank. That wouldn't count as "financial gain," right? Perhaps my DH and I could try a month as "snowbirds?" But, again, that is predicted on people being willing and able to travel and us being willing and able to travel.

At the end of the day, my family (except for a SIL, a nurse who has since recovered quickly and well) is healthy and happy, able to work remotely and able to get the food and supplies they need. So, now that I think about it, I'll keep this "problem" happily.

Judi Z

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
You can also just pay to extend TPUs for another year. My Mom had 186 TPUs that we have been whittling down for 5 years. We're at 83 and will be rolling over again in Aug.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I have a similar issue, though not quite to your extreme. :) I banked my Cold Spring week 24, which gets 26 TPUs, so now I have 48. That's loads for me...I tend to gravitate to extra vacations for Feb break, and pick up last minute low TPU deals for additional summer weeks. It's been fun to think about next summer...which will hopefully happen!

Smuggs is planning to open, as of right now, June 15, with summer programming starting 6/26. (I'm thinking 6/26 is the start date for camps/pool openings and such.) We have an RCI trade there starting 7/12. Crossing my fingers!

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also just pay to extend TPUs for another year. My Mom had 186 TPUs that we have been whittling down for 5 years. We're at 83 and will be rolling over again in Aug.

Although I have never had to do it before, that may be the best solution. Thanks for reminding me of that option!

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smuggs is planning to open, as of right now, June 15, with summer programming starting 6/26. (I'm thinking 6/26 is the start date for camps/pool openings and such.) We have an RCI trade there starting 7/12. Crossing my fingers!

Our week starts June 21st. When I called the SNAP program office, they said that would be the first week of summer programs. Knowing now that programming and pools won't open until June 26th, I will definitely call and get the scoop. I can't imagine it would be much fun without the pool or the programs. Thanks for letting me know!

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
:) I have 324 TPU's. I keep combining them every two years......haven't been able to use them. We also have two Marriott weeks, getaways, and AC's. Someday I actually have to sit down and figure out someplace to use these points. Their website is so pathetic, every time I search for something ....frustration sets in.
We used to use them every other year for Hawaii, but the last few years, using II has been more successful.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
:) I have 324 TPU's. I keep combining them every two years......haven't been able to use them. We also have two Marriott weeks, getaways, and AC's. Someday I actually have to sit down and figure out someplace to use these points. Their website is so pathetic, every time I search for something ....frustration sets in.
We used to use them every other year for Hawaii, but the last few years, using II has been more successful.
Ricci,
I am blown away! What does one do with that many points? I am paralyzed by 112! My DSIL said that perhaps we could do a family vacation of two weeks somewhere in New England - the whole family, two weeks. Maybe the Berkshires. We are looking at that and also thinking about charity. Is there a charity to whom you would want to donate a week? You could give a week anywhere with 324 TPUs. Last week, a friend mentioned that she would love to go to Hawaii. I found a week for 42 TPUs so I know they must go higher. When I said I could do it, she panicked and said she was too afraid to plan that far ahead. This is the gift of the plentiful - too much to know with what we should do!
Judi

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the Hawaii weeks we have booked in the past have been in the low to mid 30's. I have three ongoing requests (not Hawaii) with RCI now ,.....I am not optimistic. :/