• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A good place to live.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Midtown 45, Santa Barbara, Avenue Plaza
someone just pointed out to me the city I currently live in, Tacoma, WA is not the best place to be. Not only is it crime ridden but the low cost of living that once attracted me to Tacoma is going crazy. Surrounding areas are even worse. I’ve been contemplating moving to another State, more particularly a tax free State. So far, I’ve researched Texas, Nevada and Tennessee. Can anyone from any of those states tell me about where you live and where in the State you would recommend taking up residence in? I’m partial to being near Nashville, San Antonio and Carson City. With family in Hawaii, I think about that too but would have to keep my Washington residence to avoid paying a 9% income tax. I just want someplace to hang my hat and not worry about anything anymore. Does Mayberry RFD still exist?

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
There is no such thing as a tax-free state. The ones that have no income tax typically have a property tax rate twice as high as others. Most states also have sales tax approaching 10%. Some states have personal property taxes, most often on vehicles, boats, etc. Also, as they say, you get what you pay for. Taxes are very low in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama, but there is a reason for this. Are you retired or near it? Most states exempt Social Security, and some exempt all or part of certain pensions and IRA income.

Nashville is nice. I love Carson City. Haven't been to San Antonio, but it's supposed to be a bit like San Diego, only with a river.

There is a lot of affordable area in the midwest. We followed our son to Indiana, and bought a perfectly adequate 2000-sf house for $199k. Taxes are about $2200 on that. We don't have kids; the schools are not great; the teachers are underpaid. One thing different here from crowded urban areas is that there may be 100 miles between major cities. This is actually good, as it causes a city of 100k people to have every kind of store you want, good health care, and maybe a university. In between, it's quiet and rural, and if that suits you, great -- but if you want a nice library, music venues, a nearby hospital of any repute, and more than a few restaurants, you might find it wanting.

There are even less expensive real estate areas in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio and some parts of Kentucky, for example. But worse weather.

Other than real estate, and in some places gasoline and utilities, most places are about the same.

Much more important is the environment and weather. Look at temperature extremes (Nashville is OK) and tornado belts (Nashville is semi-OK on that one). We ended up in Evansville two years ago, and we were surprised to find that so far the winters are not bad -- usually above 20 degrees, maybe four snows, not more than 4-5 inches at a time, although worse have happened -- and the summers can be 90 degrees and 75% humidity, but we were actually expecting wetter. Summer nights are MUCH warmer than in the west -- maybe 72. Don't like that much. Spring and fall are beautiful. Visit first, or monitor the weather on Wunderground. Or sign up as a pet-sitter and come visit for free (DM me).

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Drop by Idaho for a visit. Low humidity, manageable Winters, the Politics suck if you're used to Western Wash. Taxes are pretty low, as is electricity. It's not hard to get to Hawaii and S. Cal. We have unfortunately been discovered, and R.E. prices are sneaking up, but still pretty reasonable. Schools are decent, but not outstanding.

No place has everything, but we have more plusses than minuses.

Shhhh. don't tell. We're keeping it to ourselves.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
more particularly a tax free State. So far, I’ve researched Texas, Nevada and Tennessee.

Want to buy one of my houses in Las Vegas? They're all for sale. I can't leave this place soon enough. If you want cheap, this is the happy hunting ground. Las Vegas is what happens when you get two million people together and all they care about is how cheap life can be. It will be the second-happiest day of my life when I finally leave this hell-hole for good.

But it is cheap.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drop by Idaho for a visit. Low humidity, manageable Winters, the Politics suck if you're used to Western Wash. Taxes are pretty low, as is electricity. It's not hard to get to Hawaii and S. Cal. We have unfortunately been discovered, and R.E. prices are sneaking up, but still pretty reasonable. Schools are decent, but not outstanding.

As a former Idaho resident for about 4 years I was extremely lucky to have had the privilege to live in Idaho. I got in the RE market before it went up due to Covid. Thanks to Covid my employer forced us to work remote and I chose to relocate back to the east.

Just be careful of the winters. Southeast Idaho can be brutal in the winter. @Passepartout is generally speaking about Southwest Idaho.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just be careful of the winters. Southeast Idaho can be brutal in the winter. @Passepartout is generally speaking about Southwest Idaho.
It's true. S.E Idaho is a few thousand fee higher than S.W. Idaho and the climate reflects it. Boise's growing season is probably 2 months longer than Idaho Falls/Pocatello.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
A few years ago DAVENV moved from Western Washington to Mesquite Nevada. A couple of folks on www.wmowners.com have moved from Western Washington to Henderson Nevada.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We used to live in Tennessee and loved it. It's a state that just works--clean, well-maintained, with Southern hospitality, which is a real thing and is immediately noticed by those of us from the West Coast or the Northeast (and I've lived in both, so I know whereof I speak). I'd recommend Franklin, which is a lovely town of about 90,000 just south of Nashville. That's a place I would seriously consider moving to, except for the fact that our three grandchildren live here in Northern California. By the way, here's a great tool you can use to immediately compare things like cost of living, tax rates, climate, and other considerations by putting in your hometown and anyplace in the USA you'd consider moving to. It's been an excellent guide for us as we've studied the possibilities.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We moved from San Jose, CA to Las Vegas seven years ago and have enjoyed it. We chose the west side and are just north of the Summerlin area. Like most bigger cities there are some issues, but overall it has worked out well. It certainly is not a hell hole. It isn’t for everyone, but it is worth consideration.

Best regards.

Mike

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
San Antonio is nice (for Texas), but you have to be prepared for THE HEAT.

As said in another post, even though Texas does not have a state income tax, we make up for it in:
  • Sales Tax (8.25%)
  • Property Taxes (City, School & County)
  • Expensive Electricity (Thank you Enron)
  • Fees (No new taxes!!!)
    • Toll roads/Express lanes
  • High growth
    • Elon Musk (Bastrop County)
There is some mitigation:
  • Property Tax - Homestead exemption and 65+ exemption
  • San Antonio
    • Good Medical Infrastructure
    • Hill Country
    • Good water access - Edwards Aquifer
We have lived in Texas for nearly 40 years and love it, but it does have its "quirks".

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Haven't been to San Antonio, but it's supposed to be a bit like San Diego, only with a river.
Ha! I always say that with regards to tourism, San Diego is to California as San Antonio is to Texas. Both have a Sea World theme park. San Antonio also has a Six Flags theme park. Both cities attract huge numbers of families for a few days of vacation.

The cost of electricity in Texas has gone up tremendously. Some people can choose their electricity plan (powertochoose.org), and others only have access to one electricity company. It just depends on what city you are in. I was pretty happy with the choice of plans for many years, but pricing has become more challenging since the deep freeze of February 2021.

• Fees (No new taxes!!!)
This depends on where you live. I live in the Dallas suburbs, and have never used an express lane. The only time I might consider a toll road is if I'm headed to Dallas.

With family in Hawaii
If you are planning to travel a lot, you can get from DFW airport to Honolulu or Maui non-stop. I would guess that Southwest Airlines (Dallas Love Field) is more affordable, and they can get you to Hawaii with one stop. Southwest has a strong presence in both San Antonio and Dallas Love Field.

I've been in the Dallas area for 25+ years, and I have no plans to move when I retire. There is plenty of medical care, travel options, restaurants, and everything else I could possibly want.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a tax-free state. The ones that have no income tax typically have a property tax rate twice as high as others. Most states also have sales tax approaching 10%. Some states have personal property taxes, most often on vehicles, boats, etc. Also, as they say, you get what you pay for. Taxes are very low in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama, but there is a reason for this. Are you retired or near it? Most states exempt Social Security, and some exempt all or part of certain pensions and IRA income.

Nashville is nice. I love Carson City. Haven't been to San Antonio, but it's supposed to be a bit like San Diego, only with a river.

There is a lot of affordable area in the midwest. We followed our son to Indiana, and bought a perfectly adequate 2000-sf house for $199k. Taxes are about $2200 on that. We don't have kids; the schools are not great; the teachers are underpaid. One thing different here from crowded urban areas is that there may be 100 miles between major cities. This is actually good, as it causes a city of 100k people to have every kind of store you want, good health care, and maybe a university. In between, it's quiet and rural, and if that suits you, great -- but if you want a nice library, music venues, a nearby hospital of any repute, and more than a few restaurants, you might find it wanting.

There are even less expensive real estate areas in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio and some parts of Kentucky, for example. But worse weather.

Other than real estate, and in some places gasoline and utilities, most places are about the same.

Much more important is the environment and weather. Look at temperature extremes (Nashville is OK) and tornado belts (Nashville is semi-OK on that one). We ended up in Evansville two years ago, and we were surprised to find that so far the winters are not bad -- usually above 20 degrees, maybe four snows, not more than 4-5 inches at a time, although worse have happened -- and the summers can be 90 degrees and 75% humidity, but we were actually expecting wetter. Summer nights are MUCH warmer than in the west -- maybe 72. Don't like that much. Spring and fall are beautiful. Visit first, or monitor the weather on Wunderground. Or sign up as a pet-sitter and come visit for free (DM me).
Please don't suggest that San Antonio is ANYTHING like San Diego. SD is one of my favorite places. The ONLY thing I liked about S.A. was the Riverwalk.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The cost of electricity in Texas has gone up tremendously. Some people can choose their electricity plan (powertochoose.org), and others only have access to one electricity company. It just depends on what city you are in. I was pretty happy with the choice of plans for many years, but pricing has become more challenging since the deep freeze of February 2021.
As I said:
The law that brought about powertochoose.org, encouraged power companies to maximize profit and adding capacity for emergencies took away from the bottom line, which gave us the deep freeze of February 2021.The wholesale cost of electricity (spot) is tied to the cost of natural gas. In February 2021, the spot price of electricity skyrocketed and utilities were forced to buy power at usurious costs, which we are still paying off.

But it turns out that ERCOT set the price too high:

Appeals court says state agency set electricity prices too high during 2021 winter storm​

The PUC overcharged utility companies by $16 BILLION and the state's reaction was "Too Bad, So Sad. Tough"

The "fix" was to add more infrastructure cost for this idle power capacity. (See fees)

Even though you may be able to "choose" your power company, you still have to also pay a delivery company (ONCOR in my case) for a TDU charge. Add to that, the rates on the web sites are for new customers, renewals are at a higher rare AND you have to understand how much power you consume to understand the pricing tiers.

To sum up, to get the best rate, you have to change companies at the end of your term and make sure you choose a company that does not go TANGO UNIFORM during your term. Fun Times for all!

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You’re right about no tax free State. WA has no income tax, sales taxes are 10.2 in my County. Property taxes are in the ballpark with San Antonio for a bigger house at half the price.
We moved from San Jose, CA to Las Vegas seven years ago and have enjoyed it. We chose the west side and are just north of the Summerlin area. Like most bigger cities there are some issues, but overall it has worked out well. It certainly is not a hell hole. It isn’t for everyone, but it is worth consideration.

Best regards.

Mike
las Vegas. AKA “da ninth’ Island”.

Politics in WW is what’s driving the quality of life down, trying to get out of it. Income taxes in ID? How bad are property taxes? Not too far from the West coast. Love your lakes there. Hmmmm…..

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We used to live in Tennessee and loved it. It's a state that just works--clean, well-maintained, with Southern hospitality, which is a real thing and is immediately noticed by those of us from the West Coast or the Northeast (and I've lived in both, so I know whereof I speak). I'd recommend Franklin, which is a lovely town of about 90,000 just south of Nashville. That's a place I would seriously consider moving to, except for the fact that our three grandchildren live here in Northern California. By the way, here's a great tool you can use to immediately compare things like cost of living, tax rates, climate, and other considerations by putting in your hometown and anyplace in the USA you'd consider moving to. It's been an excellent guide for us as we've studied the possibilities.
Real estate agent recommended GreenHills. Know anything about that area?

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
San Antonio is nice (for Texas), but you have to be prepared for THE HEAT.

As said in another post, even though Texas does not have a state income tax, we make up for it in:
  • Sales Tax (8.25%)
  • Property Taxes (City, School & County)
  • Fees (No new taxes!!!)
  • High growth
    • Elon Musk (Bastrop County)
There is some mitigation:
  • Property Tax - Homestead exemption and 65+ exemption
  • San Antonio
    • Good Medical Infrastructure
    • Hill Country
    • Good water access - Edwards Aquifer
We have lived in Texas for nearly 40 years and love it, but it does have its "quirks".
Thank you. Love your service roads! Good medical is important! Already paying 10.2% sales tax. The property taxes are frightening. I thought ours were bad but can get way more house (or in our case a nice downsize) for the money. Did not know about the 65+ exemption. Real estate agent never mentioned it! I wonder why?

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Virginia is a good place to live y'all

(if you can handle the humidity)
Thank you. I have family in Victoria, VA. loved Norfolk. Beautiful state.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Politics in WW is what’s driving the quality of life down, trying to get out of it. Income taxes in ID? How bad are property taxes? Not too far from the West coast. Love your lakes there. Hmmmm…..
Income taxes don't seem too onerous, since our schools (sadly) rank about 48th in the country. There is not a single Democrat in statewide office, so don't expect taxes to rise anytime soon. Sales tax is 6% on everything, but we get a tax rebate every year to cover what tax we pay on groceries. Did I mention that humidity averages under 20%? No tornados, hurricanes, tsunamis, few thunderstorms, I don't even know anybody that owns a snowblower. Electricity price ($.09kWH) is similar to yours in Tacoma, and our gasoline is a buck cheaper.

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Please don't suggest that San Antonio is ANYTHING like San Diego. SD is one of my favorite places. The ONLY thing I liked about S.A. was the Riverwalk.
San Antonio for me was a one and one. Didn't even like the Riverwalk all that much. Too commercial and too crowded.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To sum up, to get the best rate, you have to change companies at the end of your term and make sure you choose a company that does not go TANGO UNIFORM during your term.
This is exactly what I do. I mark the calendar, and it takes maybe ten minutes total to review the rates and sign up. I've never had a service interruption due to the switch. One company went under, but the contracts were immediately picked up by one of the major electric companies with no issues.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... Sales tax is 6% on everything, but we get a tax rebate every year to cover what tax we pay on groceries. ...
Texas does not tax grocery items at the register.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Texas does not tax grocery items at the register.
Money grubbing Idaho gets their tax money from everyone and just rebates residents. Oh yes, there is that $200/yr EV or $75/yr to register a hybrid.