• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A general question on getting to Hawaii : planning a future trip / possible 1st Class ticket plan

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I took advantage of an Alaska Airline’s bonus miles Credit Card offer earlier this year.
I used the bonus miles to book return flights in coach for my sister-in-law and nephew (HNL to DTW) and then upgraded them to premium economy with cash.

I forgot to mention...

TIP: I normally consider the various credit card bonus offers whenever we have a big spend coming up like our annual timeshare maintenance fees, cruise payments, home improvement projects, etc.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I forgot to mention...

TIP: I normally consider the various credit card bonus offers whenever we have a big spend coming up like our annual timeshare maintenance fees, cruise payments, home improvement projects, etc.
Definitely. And American Express gives a 50% bonus if you make a $5,000 purchase or more. So if you have a big purchase you were going to pay cash for, if you can put it on AX and then promptly pay the AX card, you get miles/points.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Prior to Covid, I believe that FC flights to HI have been some of the hardest points seats to book. I have to think that there is a glut of points sitting out there (I'm at or near record highs in most of my programs) and that combined with hardly anyone traveling in close to a year will only increase the competition for those seats. To the pent up demand point, I booked two R/T tickets for 10/2021 from the East Coast to Kona back in December for $850 each, which is about $150-$200 less than I would normally expect. Those same flights today are just shy of $1800 each. And that is for Economy!

amyhwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Ko Olina
Remember that the flight THERE is much longer than the flight back due to wind, so if you are in First only one way, going may be better.

I find the opposite for me; our return flight is a red eye, and I cannot sleep in economy seats. If anything, I need lie flat for the return flight.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
(The following is for late Jan and mid Feb travel)

As others noted above, Dallas via AA may be your best choice. We do San Antonio to Maui annually, usually in Premium Economy, but went with FC this year.

The lie flat 777 out of DFW will cost you big points, outside the COVID situation. I think we did one leg via points in FC each and it varied from 110K to 145K. Flights via Phoenix or LA were dramatically cheaper.

I prefer to use Chase Rewards to book cash seats at a discount and that might be something to consider. Some good bonuses to get you started on their cards. Points Guy is you friend for learning more about card mixes.

Historically PE from SAT-DFW-OGG Maui would be a great price at $1200-1300 R/T. Was as little as $800 this Jan. Little Rock probably similar.

FC in lie-flat seats is usually $2200-3200+. I’ve seen $1800. These are all for Saturday flights. I found Sun-Tue were much better this year, but this was a weird year.

FC via Phoenix, LA, etc can be $1500 RT in the big traditional seats.

Lots of options, but accruing enough points fir to lie-flight seats in a short window, might be a stretch. Mostly depends on your annual spending after bonuses.

Hope that helps...

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We fly from Chicago and there are not direct flights to any islands except Oahu. If you are going to another island, don't take this. It is painful to get off a 7-8 hour flight, wait in the airport for a few hours for a 45 minute flight to another island. We normally fly AA or United and always first class. If you want to use miles and go for credit card deals mentioned here, be aware that those tickets go fast, usually the first day the flight is offered. You might want to look into Chase Sapphire Reserve. You get a 50% point bonus for travel and you can use points for part of your ticket and cash for the rest.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We fly from Chicago and there are not direct flights to any islands except Oahu. If you are going to another island, don't take this. It is painful to get off a 7-8 hour flight, wait in the airport for a few hours for a 45 minute flight to another island. We normally fly AA or United and always first class. If you want to use miles and go for credit card deals mentioned here, be aware that those tickets go fast, usually the first day the flight is offered. You might want to look into Chase Sapphire Reserve. You get a 50% point bonus for travel and you can use points for part of your ticket and cash for the rest.
We love the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Even when we don't use it to pay for flights, we use the points for stopover hotels and rental cars. You even get a 3x bonus when you use the card for timeshare maintenance fees.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
We fly from Chicago and there are not direct flights to any islands except Oahu. If you are going to another island, don't take this. It is painful to get off a 7-8 hour flight, wait in the airport for a few hours for a 45 minute flight to another island.

We always take the long non stop direct flight from New York/New Jersey to Honolulu.

Yes, it’s a pain to wait for connecting flight anywhere you go but Hawaiian Airlines has constant flights going in/out of Honolulu. If our United flight arrives late or our Hawaiian flight is canceled, I feel our odds are better in HNL for catching another flight.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Yes, it’s a pain to wait for connecting flight anywhere you go but Hawaiian Airlines has constant flights going in/out of Honolulu. If our United flight arrives late or our Hawaiian flight is canceled, I feel our odds are better in HNL for catching another flight.
HNL is one of the nicest airports for a layover. This garden area is inside the secured area and is close to the gates.
2017-01-31 14.13.41.jpg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
HNL is one of the nicest airports for a layover. This garden area is inside the secured area and is close to the gates.
View attachment 32658
Thank you for this reminder. I’ve been meaning to look into this.

From https://airports.hawaii.gov/hnl/shop-dine/things-to-do-while-you-wait/

Daniel K. Inouye International Airport offers travelers a pleasant break from their travels at several garden sites. The Chinese, Hawaiian and Japanese Gardens were designed by Richard C. Tongg, FASLA, in 1962 when Daniel K. Inouye International Airport was built on this site. The Gardens surround the Ticketing Lobby and the E Gates of the airport.
The C. B. Lansing Garden is located on the ground level of Terminal 1 near the walkway to Terminal 2.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Thank you for this reminder. I’ve been meaning to look into this.

From https://airports.hawaii.gov/hnl/shop-dine/things-to-do-while-you-wait/

Daniel K. Inouye International Airport offers travelers a pleasant break from their travels at several garden sites. The Chinese, Hawaiian and Japanese Gardens were designed by Richard C. Tongg, FASLA, in 1962 when Daniel K. Inouye International Airport was built on this site. The Gardens surround the Ticketing Lobby and the E Gates of the airport.​
The C. B. Lansing Garden is located on the ground level of Terminal 1 near the walkway to Terminal 2.

Great to know about, and I saw this when we transited there recently and was curious about it.

For overnight flights, the longer the better for me. For daytime connecting flights to the west coast, if interested in breaking up the trip with a night's sleep, SFO quite recently opened an actual onsite airport hotel Hotels in South San Francisco | Grand Hyatt at SFO, and there are also many good hotels quite nearby.

There are a LOT of them and they range in price and points programs from the simple just purely a place to get some sleep and a shower to the somewhat more luxurious place to sleep and get a shower, but on the waterfront and closer to SFO. They all, as far as I know, have shuttles. For locals some of them have parking while we are away.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also use Chase Ultimate Rewards to apply points towards the purchase of 1st class seats or transfer to a Frequent Flyer program. We fly Premium Economy or First Class on our long flights from the East Coast (NJ).

Keep in mind, 1st class seating can vary greatly. If you want lie-flat seating, you‘ll need to verify which routes and frequency. Here are some articles to give you a general idea of what you need to look for.

Booking lie-flat seats via reduced miles can be difficult.
Excellent information. Thank you.
We will be flying from the east coast. We live in the Norfolk-Virginia Beach, Virginia area.

Last edited: