• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A few ?s about Palm Springs

chkvtzn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently have been looking for a Spring Break place to go with my wife and 4 children, ages 6-13. I have never been to Palm Desert. I would appreciate peoples opinions on Palm Springs in general, as well as, opinions on which Palm Springs Marriott TS would be best for my family....Shadow Ridge I & II, and Desert Springs Villas I & II. I see several available for rent on Redweek.com for the week of our school district's Spring Break.

Also, I realize that Palm Springs has very balmy weather in late March, but are there nearby places to go skiing if one drives up into the mountains?

Thanks everyone!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Palm Springs is a great place to visit

Palm Desert is one of my favorite places to go. I liked it so much that I ended up buying a Marriot DS 2 on eBay last year. We go there twice a year.

Marriott Timeshares are very nice.

Differences between the Marriotts in PD - - DS1 units are the biggest. But the efficiency units face the parking lot. The DS2 units are a bit smaller, and a bit newer. But I think all of the DS1's have recently been refurbished. I recommend that you stay in at least a 1 BR or maybe a 2 BR. Most TS efficiencies are like hotel rooms, IMHO.

I have toured Shadow Ridge but haven't stayed there. They seem like they are a little smaller than the DS2's.

My favorite things abt. Palm Desert:
Weather
Restaurants
College of the Desert Swap Meet
Thursday Night Street fair in downtown Palm Springs
Hiking in Joshua tree N.P.
Tram

The only thing negative abt. going to PD during spring break is that there might be a bunch of college kids enjoying their spring break. If you're staying in a timeshare, it probably won't be bad. But the JW Marriott may be busy.

chkvtzn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks BJR

Anyone ever gone skiing near Palm Springs? I want to skiing for Spring Break, but my wife wants some place warm. Palm Springs might be THE place!

Thanks

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have young kids and have stayed extensively at both Shadow Ridge (where we own) and DSV. Our kids are 8 and 5 and there are definite differences to consider between the four different units you can stay in. Let me briefly give you my opinions and views about each one.

DSV II is where we preferred to stay when the kids were smaller. The property is very lush and the pool area very nice, with a nice kiddie pool that was important when the kids were babies. With kids in tow, the DSV II units were much preferable over DSV I because the lock off unit (where your kids will sleep) is directly connected to the main one bedroom unit, whereas in DSV I it is seperated by a foyer and the doors lock when closed (so you would have to constantly prop them open or the kids would have to always use the key). We felt very secure having the kids in the lock-off at DSV II because we could keep connecting doors open throught the night so I could easily check on them or they could get me if there was a problem. The lock off in DSV II has a kind bed and a sofa bed, so you can easily sleep 4 kids in there. These units are 1450 sq. ft.

DSV I is a bigger sqaure footage (about 1600 sq. ft), but because of the lock-off configuration, I would highly recommend against these units when traveling with young kids. Even with teens I'd be nervous because then they would have more independance than what I would like! THese lock offs have 2 queen beds and no couch.

Shadow Ridge Villages - these are the units where we own and the lock off situation is very similar to DSV II. The lock off has king bed and a sofa bed couch and is directly connected to the main unit with doors. Very nice arrangement. Shadow Ridge has a lot more to offer kids, so it is the best resort between the two properties. The MAZE activity center at Shadow Ridge is the biggest I've seen. It's huge! It has a large arcade with all kinds of games, they have two Wii stations in the main room and they have a large movie theater all their own! It's really fantastic. Now that the Enclaves section is open, there are many fun things for the kids to do at the pool areas. Both pool areas have splash zones and the Villages pool has a pool slide. Units are 1250 sq. feet. Some of the buildings are currently being renovated with all new surfaces, so if you stay here, request a newly remodeled unit. We are going in June and will reqeust this.

Enclaves - we've seen these units although we haven't stayed in one yet. They are very modern with very nice appointments throughout, but I have some real issues with these units. First, they are the smallest out of all the units. At 1100 sq. feet, they are really pushing the bounds with how small can we make a two bedroom unit! There is zero privacy between the family room and master bedroom, with just a multi-pocket door situation, not a solid wall. They have eliminated an actual dining room and just t-boned a dining table up to the galley kitchen. This irritated my when I saw it. The lock off unit was nice with a king bed and sofa bed, but the main family room felt itty-bitty. Even with just two kids, the place would feel cramped. The pool area is very nice, although smaller than the Villages pool, but you have complete use of all pool areas once you are there, so you have a lot of variety.

I love both properties, but for your family, staying at Shadow Ridge in the 2 bedroom villages unit would be the best fit, IMHO!

Please feel free if you have any specific questions or would like building recommendations at either resort.

Cheers,
Janna

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mt. High, in Wrightwood, about 90 minutes, also making snow with a small natural base.
Liz

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Janna has given you a great breakdown of the properties -- we also love Shadow Ridge when we go with our children (11, 9 and 6) and love it. We go in May when it is very warm making the swimming wonderful.

I agree that skiing isn't very viable from Palm Desert.

Good luck!

Greg

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Janna

We have young kids and have stayed extensively at both Shadow Ridge (where we own) and DSV. Our kids are 8 and 5 and there are definite differences to consider between the four different units you can stay in. Let me briefly give you my opinions and views about each one.

DSV II is where we preferred to stay when the kids were smaller. The property is very lush and the pool area very nice, with a nice kiddie pool that was important when the kids were babies. With kids in tow, the DSV II units were much preferable over DSV I because the lock off unit (where your kids will sleep) is directly connected to the main one bedroom unit, whereas in DSV I it is seperated by a foyer and the doors lock when closed (so you would have to constantly prop them open or the kids would have to always use the key). We felt very secure having the kids in the lock-off at DSV II because we could keep connecting doors open throught the night so I could easily check on them or they could get me if there was a problem. The lock off in DSV II has a kind bed and a sofa bed, so you can easily sleep 4 kids in there. These units are 1450 sq. ft.

DSV I is a bigger sqaure footage (about 1600 sq. ft), but because of the lock-off configuration, I would highly recommend against these units when traveling with young kids. Even with teens I'd be nervous because then they would have more independance than what I would like! THese lock offs have 2 queen beds and no couch.

Shadow Ridge Villages - these are the units where we own and the lock off situation is very similar to DSV II. The lock off has king bed and a sofa bed couch and is directly connected to the main unit with doors. Very nice arrangement. Shadow Ridge has a lot more to offer kids, so it is the best resort between the two properties. The MAZE activity center at Shadow Ridge is the biggest I've seen. It's huge! It has a large arcade with all kinds of games, they have two Wii stations in the main room and they have a large movie theater all their own! It's really fantastic. Now that the Enclaves section is open, there are many fun things for the kids to do at the pool areas. Both pool areas have splash zones and the Villages pool has a pool slide. Units are 1250 sq. feet. Some of the buildings are currently being renovated with all new surfaces, so if you stay here, request a newly remodeled unit. We are going in June and will reqeust this.

Enclaves - we've seen these units although we haven't stayed in one yet. They are very modern with very nice appointments throughout, but I have some real issues with these units. First, they are the smallest out of all the units. At 1100 sq. feet, they are really pushing the bounds with how small can we make a two bedroom unit! There is zero privacy between the family room and master bedroom, with just a multi-pocket door situation, not a solid wall. They have eliminated an actual dining room and just t-boned a dining table up to the galley kitchen. This irritated my when I saw it. The lock off unit was nice with a king bed and sofa bed, but the main family room felt itty-bitty. Even with just two kids, the place would feel cramped. The pool area is very nice, although smaller than the Villages pool, but you have complete use of all pool areas once you are there, so you have a lot of variety.

I love both properties, but for your family, staying at Shadow Ridge in the 2 bedroom villages unit would be the best fit, IMHO!

Please feel free if you have any specific questions or would like building recommendations at either resort.

Cheers,
Janna

Great job on your reply! Even as an empty nester I learned some pointers.