• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A couple of off-the wall questions

sharktzu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether someone who owns a 2 bedroom gold season at a voluntary resort (resale purchase, not requalified) can reserve a one bedroom platinum week? I would guess you'd have to trade through RCI or II, but I don't know.

I've read a couple of people rave about how well the SDO weeks trade, does anyone know about WMH gold weeks? How well do you think that they trade?

Thanks!

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can not reserve any week in a season or resort that you do not own by using a non-requalifies voluntary week.

As you noted, you might be able to do this using an exchange company. Using the example of WMH, just split the lockoff and make two "1 bedroom" depsoits with II. II doesn't use the same color season that Starwood does - in fact II classifies all WMH weeks as "red". So it is theoretically possible to trade into another "red" week at a different Starwood resort.

Two things would help: Get Starwood to deposit the BEST gold WMH week they can - Thanksgiving would be a good week. Then you need to hope that Starwood bulk banks the week you want to trade for (which they don't do very often).

It is possible - look at the Ka'anapali weeks they deposited recently - but you would have to request as early as possible.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
In this thread

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50954

the use of a WMH Silver week is discussed. The owner snagged awesome trades, and could see WKORV 1 bedroom weeks & 2 bedroom weeks.

Makes me want to buy a Silver week....:wave:

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can not reserve any week in a season or resort that you do not own by using a non-requalifies voluntary week.

As you noted, you might be able to do this using an exchange company. Using the example of WMH, just split the lockoff and make two "1 bedroom" depsoits with II. II doesn't use the same color season that Starwood does - in fact II classifies all WMH weeks as "red". So it is theoretically possible to trade into another "red" week at a different Starwood resort.

Two things would help: Get Starwood to deposit the BEST gold WMH week they can - Thanksgiving would be a good week. Then you need to hope that Starwood bulk banks the week you want to trade for (which they don't do very often).

It is possible - look at the Ka'anapali weeks they deposited recently - but you would have to request as early as possible.

Actually I.I. correlates the demand for actual week number with what it will trade for. While you are correct that Thanksgiving is the most highly demanded Gold Season week, July 4th week (also Gold at MH) is another good one. I.I. considers all weeks Red for trading in purposes. All weeks, therefore, have a right to request a Prime season exchange.Getting it filled is another matter entirely. In this respect, Silver season at MH is generally as good a trader as Gold season. Why? Demand. Although Silver is considered low season in the desert (summer) because of temperatures, it is the time most families can conveniently travel. One would be surprised at how much demand that actually does create.

Therefore, my advice concerning the selection of a MH Gold or Silver would default to the times that it would most likely be occupied by the owner, even if purchased primarily as a trader. Gold season includes June through July 4th week, and September through 1st week of December. The fall months offer perhaps the most ideal climate of the year, with longer days and balmier evenings than Platinum season, without the Platinum season crowds. Platinum season is the worst time of year elsewhere for the snowbirds taking up winter residence, or vacations, in the Desert.

These distinctions are not lost on secondary market pricing. Without minimizing the price differences, the spread between Gold and Silver is only about 3k. Hence, the consideration for when it might likely be occupied by the owner.

In response to the trade quality of Mission Hills, it is a very good trader. What it has going for it (as a trade vehicle) that Kierland and SDO do not, is its location. A convenient 2 hour drive from the LA, Orange County, San Diego megalopolis. 25 million people can create a lot of demand.

Last edited: