• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A-Bay Shark Attack!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
What is unprovoked versus provoked regarding shark bites ? Does anyone actually go out in the water and slap a shark ? Maybe if you hook one and get bit but I doubt anyone tries to get bit. Maybe shark petting is a thing, lol. Wait, I remember the tour operators would feed sharks while we were diving. Those must be the unlucky provokers.

Bill

there were a total of 73 confirmed, unprovoked shark bites on people and 39 confirmed, provoked bites in 2021

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh! Isn’t A-Bay considered to be one of the “safer” beaches?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
there were a total of 73 confirmed, unprovoked shark bites on people and 39 confirmed, provoked bites in 2021

This is worldwide attacks not just Hawaii BTW. Not sure why you think A bay is any safer of hazardous, as water has sharks, period. However A-Bay is generally not a areas that have people doing activities that interest sharks, like spear fishing and surfing.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
This is worldwide attacks not just Hawaii BTW. Not sure why you think A bay is any safer of hazardous, as water has sharks, period. However A-Bay is generally not a areas that have people doing activities that interest sharks, like spear fishing and surfing.

I thought it was interesting that people actually provoke sharks and I wondered why they had a distinction. We have been on scuba tours in the Playa del Carmen area where bull sharks were fed. Too me, that seems like provoking sharks. Only the tour operators fed the sharks.

Just so you can be sure Sandy, I didn't say anything about A Bay being dangerous or that Hawaii is where all the shark attacks occurred according to the article. Even so, Hawaii does have unprovoked fatal shark attacks like the woman that went missing in Maui earlier this year. If I'm reading your post right you must think snorkeling, fishing and surfing interests sharks. Is interest the same as provoke in your opinion ? Below are the definitions. I think scuba ,surfing and snorkeling fall into the unprovoked bites.

Bill

“Unprovoked bites” are defined as incidents in which a bite on a live human occurs in the shark’s natural habitat with no human provocation of the shark.

“Provoked bites” occur when a human initiates interaction with a shark in some way. These include instances when divers are bitten after harassing or trying to touch sharks, bites on spearfishers, bites on people attempting to feed sharks, bites occurring while unhooking or removing a shark from a fishing net and so forth.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sharks are not "interested" in activities like surfing or spear fishing, and do not actively look to hang out in areas just because those activities happen there. They hang out where they regularly find food (fish). I grew up in Hawaii spending a lot of time in the ocean, including those activities. I have had close encounters, but not because I was in areas popular for those activities. It's because I was in the ocean, period. A tourist at the beach once asked me "Are there sharks here?" My response: "Is the water salty?"