• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A 4-Year-Old Died Of The Flu After Facebook Anti-Vaxxers Pushed His Mom To Avoid Medical Treatment

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
What a tragic outcome. And it could possibly have been prevented if Facebook was more interested in protecting some of its more vulnerable users from being the subject of misinformation campaigns disseminated by idiots, rather than hanging its hat all the time on "freedom of speech" excuses.

I'm guessing they could shut down these anti-vaxxer groups very quickly if they really wanted to do so. They seem to know almost instantly what sites I have visited and what purchases I have made, so identifying dangerous sites can't be that difficult. Maybe a class-action lawsuit or criminal charges, such as "contributory negligence in the care of a child leading to death", might catch their attention and light a fire under their a***s! :mad:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish this were a one-off tragedy, but it is becoming sadly, normal. Kids are dying and their anti-vax parents are getting off because they have a 'deep-seated' religiosity and fear of modern medicine. It's 'God's Will' that the children are 'called back'.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What a tragic outcome. And it could possibly have been prevented if Facebook was more interested in protecting some of its more vulnerable users from being the subject of misinformation campaigns disseminated by idiots, rather than hanging its hat all the time on "freedom of speech" excuses.

I'm guessing they could shut down these anti-vaxxer groups very quickly if they really wanted to do so. They seem to know almost instantly what sites I have visited and what purchases I have made, so identifying dangerous sites can't be that difficult. Maybe a class-action lawsuit or criminal charges, such as "contributory negligence in the care of a child leading to death", might catch their attention and light a fire under their a***s! :mad:
The story is tragic, but the fault ultimately lies with the parents in this case. They had a prescription for medication that may have helped save the child's life, but they chose not to even fill the prescription.

BTW. Freedom of speech isn't an excuse, it is a constitutional right (at least in the USA). Facebook, among other social media companies is considered a platform rather than a publisher. Thus it is immune to a degree from what people on its platform spew. You might not like the speech, but you don't have a right to not be offended. Perhaps the groups should be shut down, but what other speech is later deemed offensive and also shut down?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I find it a bit off putting that the parents are now starting a Go Fund Me to cover the child's medical expenses.
Perhaps the anti-vaxxers from that Facebook group will chip in?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To all the parents, who are anti vaccination. I feel you should only asks your anti vaccination group’s to cover your child’s medical expenses and funeral costs. Why, because you made the decision to listen and to follow them; base upon their desires and beliefs. You now need to Live with your Decisions.
IMO.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
That is sad.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Just like sex Ed is a required course in high school, I feel there should be an one-week course about vaccinations, anti-bodies, anti-gens, and anti-gens’ ability to attack the body.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just like sex Ed is a required course in high school, I feel there should be an one-week course about vaccinations, anti-bodies, anti-gens, and anti-gens’ ability to attack the body.
There should be a 'general health and social skills class starting in middle school. Teach the youth about disease, sex, and basic finances- like the power of compound interest and stuff like saving, check writing and insurance. Too many adults are clueless, and parents simply don't always have the skill-set to teach their kids.

Jim

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
The story is tragic, but the fault ultimately lies with the parents in this case. They had a prescription for medication that may have helped save the child's life, but they chose not to even fill the prescription.

BTW. Freedom of speech isn't an excuse, it is a constitutional right (at least in the USA). Facebook, among other social media companies is considered a platform rather than a publisher. Thus it is immune to a degree from what people on its platform spew. You might not like the speech, but you don't have a right to not be offended. Perhaps the groups should be shut down, but what other speech is later deemed offensive and also shut down?

Agree the primary fault lies with the parents and I really don't understand what led the mother to seek out advice from an internet group dedicated against vaccine instead of administering the vaccine to her child that she was given by her doctor.

While "freedom of speech" under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution or "freedom of expression" under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms of Canada are legally protected, neither right is absolute in either country. While the application of those restrictions differs slightly between the two countries, especially in the application of hate speech restrictions, the Supreme Courts of both countries have upheld several categories of speech that can and have been restricted.

The legal distinction, unique in the USA, of social media being a third-party "distributor" or delivery "platform", like a telephone company or courier, rather than a mass "publisher" or "broadcaster", like a newspaper or TV station, came about when the internet was in its infancy under the protections afforded by Section 230 of the US Federal Communications Decency Act of 1996. It ultimately provided immunity from liability and prosecution to nascent social media networks. Those networks are no longer small entities, but massive operations that permeate every aspect of modern society.

I happen to personally believe that controls similar to those exerted on more traditional media outlets can also be sensibly and sensitively applied to social media outlets, without it necessarily becoming the "slippery slope" that is so often trotted out as the reason for not intervening. However, that is just my personal opinion. I don't want this to become political, so we may have to agree to disagree. In the end, it is up to US citizens and their governments to decide how to govern these "platforms" in their own country. Many other countries, including the European Union, have taken a different tack. Time will tell if those reasonable limits can be implemented and enforced without creating the slippery slope.

IMO the case cited here makes a compelling argument for some type of sensible restriction for when the "speech" is not only factually inaccurate but potentially dangerous and even deadly.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
It’s just not the Anti-Vaxxers movements. I am a special needs parents and what ppl try to suggest and/or peddle is often laughable however to vulnerable parents, it gives false hope/unrealistic expectations. When I try to explain to others that cheap OTC vitamin will not cure their child, I’m the clueless one. Or I’m not progressive because I use prescription meds instead of CBD oil. I know many of my Special Needs FB Groups ban CBD and vaccine discussions.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Freedom of speech is not the same as freedom from consequence. Also, Freedom of Speech is guaranteed (with limitations) against GOVERNMENT interference. Faceplant could choose to not allow the topic as it bans other topics.

It is not a common carrier which accepts all customers like an internet provider. A common carrier is shielded from the content over its network. Once you start picking and choosing, all bets are off.

geekette

Reaction score
I continue to be shocked by the fact that some people will do (or not do) what anonymous persons on the internet urge. Who are these people that crowd source their personal life decisions? I'd like to see an epidemic of Thinking For Yourself. Heck, she made it to the doctor, why did she return to non-medical internet "treatment"? preventable tragedy. what are those anti-vaxxers saying now? urging same lack of treatment for the other kids sick at home? yikes. this family has to live with the consequences, that is a massive brick of guilt to tote through life.

geekette

Reaction score
I don't think this is a freedom of speech issue as much as a freedom of gullibility issue.

A person that instantly believes whatever they hear, see or read is entitled to those instant beliefs. There is no law against it and there never will be.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
There should be a 'general health and social skills class starting in middle school. Teach the youth about disease, sex, and basic finances- like the power of compound interest and stuff like saving, check writing and insurance. Too many adults are clueless, and parents simply don't always have the skill-set to teach their kids.

Jim

I wholeheartedly agree! Far too many young, and not so young, have no idea or common sense about day to day living. I just found out that my 25yo nephew has blown through $75K (Cndn) inheritance from his grandma in 10 months! All he has to show for it is a used car, 2 new skateboards some clothes and about 25lbs of extra body weight from eating out! He did use some of the money for his wedding which was largely paid for by his fiancé's family and held in her grandma's backyard. There was no money for a honeymoon. Now he is mad at his parents for not giving him the other half of the inheritance. They told him they'd release it after he had a full time job, had some savings and was ready to put a deposit on a house.
At least my sister made sure her kids were vaccinated! SMH

~Diane

geekette

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree! Far too many young, and not so young, have no idea or common sense about day to day living. I just found out that my 25yo nephew has blown through $75K (Cndn) inheritance from his grandma in 10 months! All he has to show for it is a used car, 2 new skateboards some clothes and about 25lbs of extra body weight from eating out! He did use some of the money for his wedding which was largely paid for by his fiancé's family and held in her grandma's backyard. There was no money for a honeymoon. Now he is mad at his parents for not giving him the other half of the inheritance. They told him they'd release it after he had a full time job, had some savings and was ready to put a deposit on a house.
At least my sister made sure her kids were vaccinated! SMH

~Diane
whoa, not even a full time job? skateboards and eating out? Married but no money for honeymoon? Can imagine him pointing to skateboards, "but, honey, these aren't just ordinary skateboards..." He doesn't sound mature enough to marry. Glad his parents held some back. Let him be mad, it sure does paint his character. Seems that at 25, he still needs someone to do what's good for him long term. Hopefully new wife keeps her paycheck where she has an eye on it, he's not going to respect money she toiled for any more than he respected the nest egg granted him.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
whoa, not even a full time job? skateboards and eating out? Married but no money for honeymoon? Can imagine him pointing to skateboards, "but, honey, these aren't just ordinary skateboards..." He doesn't sound mature enough to marry. Glad his parents held some back. Let him be mad, it sure does paint his character. Seems that at 25, he still needs someone to do what's good for him long term. Hopefully new wife keeps her paycheck where she has an eye on it, he's not going to respect money she toiled for any more than he respected the nest egg granted him.
Haha, his wife has no job either! They both quit their menial jobs in Toronto last summer to move to the basement apt at the grandma's lakeside country home about 2 hrs away. The wife worked part time in a coffee shop in the village and is now enrolled full time in a 2 yr nursing program and no longer working. Nephew never found a job he "liked" after the move so he took a welding course last fall because he thought it sounded neat & he'd get to "wear a cool helmet"! He graduated with honours but still hasn't found a full time job, but I don't think he is trying too hard.
When my sister complains about him, I reply 'you raised him'!

~Diane

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Soo many ppl do not have support in real world. They believe their online friends, whom they have never met, have their best interest in hand. I always encourage ppl to try to meet in real life. I am part of a # of FB groups who encourage local meetups so parents can build relationships outside of FB.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Yeah, online groups are the.worst.......oh, wait......
:LOL:
A radio show host used to say:
"Don't believe anything you hear on my show, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction."

These groups may be a source of (mis)information, but it can broaden your horizons to do research. The problem is many cannot evaluate the veracity of the source of the information they are reading.

geekette

Reaction score
Haha, his wife has no job either! They both quit their menial jobs in Toronto last summer to move to the basement apt at the grandma's lakeside country home about 2 hrs away. The wife worked part time in a coffee shop in the village and is now enrolled full time in a 2 yr nursing program and no longer working. Nephew never found a job he "liked" after the move so he took a welding course last fall because he thought it sounded neat & he'd get to "wear a cool helmet"! He graduated with honours but still hasn't found a full time job, but I don't think he is trying too hard.
When my sister complains about him, I reply 'you raised him'!

~Diane
wow, basement living, that's high on the hog. If that's all they want for themselves, then, ok. Can't imagine grandma is going to be happy with this arrangement long term but maybe she does like having others around and I assume they help her.

I can't imagine having so little motivation. People make choices.