• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

95,700 staroptions

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any real advantage compared to 81,000? On a SVN exchange to a 1 BR, there is not much use for the remaining points, is there?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
95,700 is an odd number of Staroptions, which doesn't match the standard requirements at most resorts. Under the new rules, you can roll unused SO's over to the next year and combine them with SO's from the next year, but it will cost you $99 - and it will still give you an odd number of SO's. You could also use the leftover (14,700) SO's for a weekend reservation at some resorts, but you can't reserve short stays until 90 days out from check-in. Unless you have a specific usage for them, it's probably not practical.

See the Staroption chart in SW Owner Resources at the top of the page to see how 95,700 matches up to most SO exchanges.

gtm2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, if you are just looking for a 1 bedroom there isn't much of an advantage. Depending on the season though, you can get some nice 2 bedrooms for 95,700 SO. So it really just depends on what you need and when you need it. I own a 1 bedroom 81,000 SO unit, but at times I wish I had 95,700 SO.

J&JFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any real advantage compared to 81,000? On a SVN exchange to a 1 BR, there is not much use for the remaining points, is there?

I have looked into buying additional timeshare(s) in the SVN network and would MUCH prefer to buy one for 95,700 versus 81,000. Here are some examples of what 95,700 SO could get you that 81,000 SO could not:

1. 2 BR L/O at Westin Riverfront in summer would be 95,700 SO. If you only had 81,000 SO you would be limited to a 1 BR (for 51,700 SO) that sleeps 4 (maybe 5???).

2. 2 BR at Sheraton Steamboat in summer would be 95,700. You could not get into this resort in summer with less than 95,700 because they only have 2 and 3 bedroom units - no lockoffs at this particular resort.

3. 2 BR L/O at one of the Orlando resorts (SVV or SVR) in summer would be 95,700 SO. 81,000 SO could get you a 2 BR without the Lockoff, which are fine but significantly smaller and more crowded feeling, especially if you're traveling with another family or with children.

4. 2 BR in Bay Vista phase of WSJ in summer requires 95,700 SO. If you had only 81,000 SO you could not get into the Bay Vista phase in summer, and while you have enough SO to get into the Hillside/Virgin Grand phase of WSJ in summer, you are VERY unlikely to be able to get there unless you own in that phase/season.

5. 2 BR L/O at Harborside in summer requires 95,700 SO. 81,000 SO would get you a 2 BR without the lockoff, which sleeps only 6 (up to 8 or 9 in the 2 BR L/O). At Harborside this is really important as you will only be given wristbands for the occupancy limit in your unit.

Anyway, these are a few examples of vacations we have taken (or considered taking) using our staroptions. We currently have over 95,700 SO so it hasn't been a problem for us, however, if you had only 81,000 SO you would be limited, as the examples explain. Keep in mind that we have kids and travel primarily during summer, so I'm sure there are other examples for different seasons that demonstrate similar advantages to 95,700 versus 81,000.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Depending on which resort you choose, you may also be able to stay eight nights rather than just a week, etc.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise, I thought the rollforward rules for Staroptions are only for Elite owners

That was last year - this year everyone (with Staroptions) can roll their Staroptions over. Starwood just sent out an email about it this week.

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on which resort you choose, you may also be able to stay eight nights rather than just a week, etc.

Would Starwood allow you to make the entire 8 night reservation at the 8 month window, or would you have to reserve a week then add a night at the three month window?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Would Starwood allow you to make the entire 8 night reservation at the 8 month window, or would you have to reserve a week then add a night at the three month window?

You can do it at 8 mos.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

The key item to remember when booking more than a week at once is that you must either start or end your visit on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I've done this multiple times, with nine and ten night stays at WKORV and Harborside, etc. You book this at one time, as one reservation. To me, this is actually one of the benefits of SOs as compared to other weekly programs.

J&JFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
The key item to remember when booking more than a week at once is that you must either start or end your visit on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I've done this multiple times, with nine and ten night stays at WKORV and Harborside, etc. You book this at one time, as one reservation. To me, this is actually one of the benefits of SOs as compared to other weekly programs.

I couldn't agree more! This truly is one of the benefits of SVO vs. other programs, especially for those of us who generally take one long vacation during the kids' summer break. If we're going to spend the $ it costs to take a family to Hawaii, Bahamas, St. John, Orlandao, etc... it is more cost effective to make it a longer stay - we're already paying airfare, car rental, etc., might as well make the stay longer. Then, add even more nights, if possible, using starpoints (through SPG).

It is also important to note that the SVO employees do not always understand the rules about extending your stay. I called today about an 11 night stay and the reservationist said I couldn't do that because I was asking for a check-in on a Monday. I politely explained that as long as I was checking in OR out on a check-in/check-out day for that resort, the stay could be extended and that the extended days could be added before OR after the 7-night stay. So my requested stay was a Friday to Friday stay with 4 days added prior to that stay, thus the Monday check-in. She was very polite, as they always are, and said "Oh that makes sense". I've experienced this several times, where the reservationist says that she/he can't check that availability because they fail to understand the rule.

lamarjames

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from Maui, cancelled our studio at WKORV (with no lanai) at 8 months out and used additional options (14,000) for the 1 bedroom that gave us a one bedroom for both weeks. Still have 81,700 options to use which will get me about anything I desire. As we love Maui, owning the 95,700 accomplished what we had wanted (not using the studio but 2 weeks in the 1 bedroom).

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
You can also book a 1 bedroom deluxe Harborside summer, and a 1 bedroom premium Harborside summer for 95,700 total. Stay two weeks, or rent one to cover your MFs and stay for free using the other week/unit.

David