• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

$8000 Special Assessment and Fee for 2021 [ Legacy Vacation in Brigantine NJ ]

Hutton in NJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine Villas Condo
We have a 1 BR condo with Legacy Vacation in Brigantine NJ adjacent to the beach since 1990. Last years, the fee was $1.700; half of which showed as bad debt in the budget. This year, our bill is $1,850 plus Special Assessment totaling $8,000! It looks to me like they want to take the property back from the owners who will likely all default then resell it. It’s probably worth $10 -$15 million to redevelop based on being beachfront. Where do we begin to find the other owners?
Thanks, Lost in This!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a 1 BR condo with Legacy Vacation in Brigantine NJ adjacent to the beach since 1990. Last years, the fee was $1.700; half of which showed as bad debt in the budget. This year, our bill is $1,850 plus Special Assessment totaling $8,000! It looks to me like they want to take the property back from the owners who will likely all default then resell it. It’s probably worth $10 -$15 million to redevelop based on being beachfront. Where do we begin to find the other owners?
Thanks, Lost in This!

Interesting situation,. Hang in there. Maybe most will surrender and you'll receive a juicy buy out offer at some point. You hope. ;)

Hutton in NJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine Villas Condo
Interesting situation,. Hang in there. Maybe most will surrender and you'll receive a juicy buy out offer at some point. You hope. ;)

That would be If we would put the 8k out. Not knowing who anyone else is or the truth of the finances, we expect they will turn whatever happens to a loss situation. I am an IRS agent and familiar to an extent with scams but this is a new one to me. I will be pulling the thread...

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the special assessment for? To cover the bad debt? This timeshare sounds like it is in a "death spiral." I would reach out to the board members ASAP and have them start thinking less about a SA and more about figuring out what it would take to sunset the timeshare and sell it. They do not have to re-invent the wheel on this; other timeshares have done this successfully. Once the bad debt reaches a certain percentage, there's really not much that can be done to salvage it as a sustainable timeshare.

These articles looked like good, thoughtful overviews. The first one cites other, successful termination scenarios. They are both, unsurprisingly, from real estate attorney firms, but not apparently overly-scammy ones:

I hope this helps. The key is to be proactive with the board NOW, although it may already be too late.

Hutton in NJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine Villas Condo
What is the special assessment for? To cover the bad debt? This timeshare sounds like it is in a "death spiral." I would reach out to the board members ASAP and have them start thinking less about a SA and more about figuring out what it would take to sunset the timeshare and sell it. They do not have to re-invent the wheel on this; other timeshares have done this successfully. Once the bad debt reaches a certain percentage, there's really not much that can be done to salvage it as a sustainable timeshare.

These articles looked like good, thoughtful overviews. The first one cites other, successful termination scenarios. They are both, unsurprisingly, from real estate attorney firms, but not apparently overly-scammy ones:

I hope this helps. The key is to be proactive with the board NOW, although it may already be too late.
Thanks Amy. Going to start with a few questions tomorrow. Half of the annual is bad debt and half of the SA is for bad debt for Reserves they say are zero. With fractional owners that turn over and maybe 20 units, it’s difficult to grasp. With our Fla condo, I know our rights and how to ask for the financials. Here, not so sure. I imagine 99% will turn their deeds in.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI 5181

Legacy Vacation Club Brigantine Beach
is a Historic Oceanfront Resort located at:
1400 Ocean Ave.Brigantine, New Jersey 08203

RCI - Urgent Information - Mandatory fees
Mandatory Usage Fee is 10.00 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.
Mandatory Security deposit is 100.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.

Housekeeping Fees
" There may be a fee of 30 U.S. dollars for Studio, per stay. "
" There may be a fee of 35 U.S. dollars for 1 Bedroom units, per stay. "
" There may be a fee of 45 U.S. dollars for 2 Bedroom units, per stay. "

https:// www.legacyvacationresorts .com
/destinations/newjersey/brigantinebeach/

Contact The City of Brigantine Beach New Jersey to see if someone can provide you a link to search online Deeds (info@brigantinebeachnj.com)

Among the many tasks related to the Office of the Municipal Clerk, one of the core duties is to maintain custody of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts, ordinances, resolutions and archive records of the municipal corporation and provide information in a timely & efficient manner and provide technical assistance to individuals and public officials.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

Contact The City of Brigantine Beach New Jersey to see if someone can provide you a link to search online Deeds (info@brigantinebeachnj.com)

Among the many tasks related to the Office of the Municipal Clerk, one of the core duties is to maintain custody of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts, ordinances, resolutions and archive records of the municipal corporation and provide information in a timely & efficient manner and provide technical assistance to individuals and public officials.
Most deeds are recorded at the county level. Not sure what you would be searching for, but deeds would not be a city matter in most counties.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Atlantic County

BRIGANTINE VILLAS
17 Units (220-225, 320-325, 420-421, 423-425) 1/51 vote

DECL COVENANTS COND & RESTR
Book and Page 4731/134 (23 page pdf)

MASTER DEED
Book and Page 4731/157 (98 page pdf)

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Personally, I think this way...

$8000 a week x 52 weeks (in theory full unit) = $416,000.00

They need THIS much for ONE unit. So an 800 to 900 square foot unit needs a complete tear down and rebuild from scratch? Is that want they are claiming?

I think some simple math hard questions are in order with the resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Many of the reviews of this place are pretty brutal.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark

They need THIS much for ONE unit. So an 800 to 900 square foot unit needs a complete tear down and rebuild from scratch? Is that want they are claiming?

That's nuts. A company I worked for only paid $350,000 per key to buy an upscale hotel on Central Park, NY.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Thanks, Lost in This!
What on earth is it for?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

They may only need $4000 per unit, but if half the people don't pay, then they need $8000 per unit from those that pay.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
That's nuts. A company I worked for only paid $350,000 per key to buy an upscale hotel on Central Park, NY.

I agree. Sometimes these special assessment figures are way out of line.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
They may only need $4000 per unit, but if half the people don't pay, then they need $8000 per unit from those that pay.

Even at that, they need $208,000 per unit? That’s still out of line.

Everett J Smith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Lost in This!
That is terrible. I see a Class Action Suit as the only possible leverage. You all put your fees in escrow and force them to make things right.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
That is terrible. I see a Class Action Suit as the only possible leverage. You all put your fees in escrow and force them to make things right.

Class actions are good for the plaintiffs' attorneys, not so good for the plaintiffs.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not knowing the Resort or the value of RE in the area I will go out on a limb and venture that paying $9,850 (sum of Regular plus Special Assessment) to ensure being included in the payout if property is sold is foolish...

George

MPrince

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC The District by Hilton Gold, HGVC Oceans 22 Platinum, Elara Gold, Elara Platinum, Flamingo Gold
Class actions are good for the plaintiffs' attorneys, not so good for the plaintiffs.

Plaintiffs' attorneys will get millions of dollars, plaintiffs will get a coupon for 50 cents off a McDonald's happy meal.

Hutton in NJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine Villas Condo

Exactly. The letter said some balcony work (there are 15?) and interior walls. Seriously? It’s only 3 floors with parking beneath.

MPrince

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC The District by Hilton Gold, HGVC Oceans 22 Platinum, Elara Gold, Elara Platinum, Flamingo Gold
All at 1 time, 01/01/2021. The letter said “we welcome your feedback”. Hahaha

I would tell you what my feedback would be, but that would likely earn me a lifetime ban from this website (and deservedly so! :D)