• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

700 Billion Bailout bill H.R. 6049: Tax question ???

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was an article in the USA Today (10/2/08) that explained the Senate Plan's Provisions of the subject bill as passed. I have a question on one of provisions and can find no info on the web that explains it.
This is the provision in question: Extends a tax break that lets homeowners who don't itemize deduct up to $500 in property taxes a year, or $1000 if they're married and file jointly."
I don't remember ever seeing or using this tax break in past years and can't find anything about it in the current H.R. 6049 bill as passed by the Congress. It was my understanding that the House passed the Bill without any changes from the one passed by the Senate. :shrug:
Hope someone can help. This would be a great tax break for us.
KCI's Wingman

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, there were some changes from the original bill to the one that was passed. The primary change was to include the various tax break extensions, such as the one you mention.

The provision allowing a property tax deduction for those who don't itemize was enacted as part of the earlier Housing Assistance Tax Act of 2008 and the deduction applied only for 2008. The bailout bill extends that, but I don't know how long the extension is for. I haven't seen the language yet.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did turbo tax and don't have enough deductions to itemize, but don't recall this, but is that because we have not yet filed for 2008 right?

Yes, there were some changes from the original bill to the one that was passed. The primary change was to include the various tax break extensions, such as the one you mention.

The provision allowing a property tax deduction for those who don't itemize was enacted as part of the earlier Housing Assistance Tax Act of 2008 and the deduction applied only for 2008. The bailout bill extends that, but I don't know how long the extension is for. I haven't seen the language yet.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here is some more info....

The AMT exemption was $44,350 for singles and $66,250 for married couples in 2007 and was set to go down to $33,750 and $66,250 respectively for this year. The bill increases the 2008 exemption to $46,200 for singles and $69,950 for married couples. If no additional legislation is passed, the exemption will go down for 2009.

The property tax provision mentioned above is extended through 2009.

The bill also reinstates tax credits for energy efficient home improvements.

Some other individual tax items in the bill are an enhanced child care credit for very-low-income taxpayers, an extension of the higher education tuition deduction through 2009, an extension of the option to deduct sales and use taxes instead of state income taxes through 2009, an extension of the teacher -related deduction for classroom expenses through 2009, and an extension through 2012 of the provision generally excluding the income that would normally result from cancellation of debt on a foreclosed home with a mortgage.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We did turbo tax and don't have enough deductions to itemize, but don't recall this, but is that because we have not yet filed for 2008 right?
That's correct. The deduction wasn't available for 2007 and the provision was first enacted earlier this year.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave M :wave:
When I saw that the tax break I mentioned earlier in this thread was extended, my first thought was "how could I have missed that deduction in the past and how many years did I miss it ?" Now you have cleared up my confusion by saying the tax break was originally scheduled for the year 2008 and was extended to include 2009. That will be a big help for those two years. They must be planning a new line on the 1040 for the deduction.
KCI's Wingman