• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

50% Off Owner's Rate [merged]

BradC

Reaction score
We had a thread going here earlier (before the pissing match began) about the 50% off SVO owner's rate coupons that were distributed for paying our maintenance fees early. I was hoping we might collect more data here about what rate people find, and when it wasn't available.

I called this week to ask about both Arizona resorts for New Year's weekend. I was quoted a SVOWN50 rate of $65/night for a 1-bedroom Deluxe at SDO, and $124/night for a 1-bedroom Deluxe at WKV. I was surprised that a holiday weekend would be available at all.

Does anyone else have any other (constructive) data points to add?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I called this week to ask about both Arizona resorts for New Year's weekend. I was quoted a SVOWN50 rate of $65/night for a 1-bedroom Deluxe at SDO, and $124/night for a 1-bedroom Deluxe at WKV. I was surprised that a holiday weekend would be available at all.

No, but those are sweet rates! Glad to see some positive news!

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score

Nice find! I just checked the dates I need at WKV in March and no luck.

If anyone who is not an SVO owner that prepaid to earn the SVOWN50 coupon wants to stay at WKV over New Year's weekend for a similar rate as found by BradC, make sure to check out www.hotwire.com. People have posted here that they were able to get a small one bedroom at WKV over the Christmas/New Year's holiday for $135/night.

-nodge

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Brad & Nodge - Thanks for the info.!

Let's not make this thread a "pissing contest," OK? ;)

Feel free to post anything you want about the deal - negative or positive, but let's NOT make it personal.

Remember - no one makes you read these posts - if you don't like what you are reading - QUIT READING!

Happy New Year!
Ms. Grinch

grinch_loves_xmas.gif

Last edited:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
i changed some of my bookings using the coupons. and right now i have 3-2brunits and 2-1br units for 12/27-12/30 2010 in orlando for my entire family.

at $85/night for the 2 br and $65 for the 1 br we will in 5 rooms for much less than my MF's.

you can not transfer the reservations to anyone else, the owner must be there.

Happy New Year everyone. here form Seattle.

barbra

pharmgirl

Reaction score
just tried at WKORV and code made no difference in fact a message stated it was invalid

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prepaid couple of my ts at the last min 12/14/09. when will I receive the coupon for 50% off owner rate? will these coupon show up at mystarcentral account? Will this coupon work at orlando during spring week? thanks

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prepaid couple of my ts at the last min 12/14/09. when will I receive the coupon for 50% off owner rate? will these coupon show up at mystarcentral account? Will this coupon work at orlando during spring week? thanks

go on spg.com and open your account on the lower right side there is a list of items, hit awards earned, the svown50 should be there.then you have to call to book a reservation.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pointsjunkie, thanks you

I check spg.com but the coupons are not there under earned rewards. How long will starwood take to credit the account with the coupons. I only pay for my maintenance fee on 12/13. I have also emailed starwood regard this issue via mystarcentral. Hopefully, they will show up in my account soon.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Lily - since it's just a code and not a paper coupon that you need to have in hand, you could go ahead and call and try to make the Resv. Reservations probably has no idea if you paid your MF or not. It's worth a try, anyway.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pointsjunkie, thanks you

I check spg.com but the coupons are not there under earned rewards. How long will starwood take to credit the account with the coupons. I only pay for my maintenance fee on 12/13. I have also emailed starwood regard this issue via mystarcentral. Hopefully, they will show up in my account soon.

it took about 3 weeks fro each one to end up in my account.

BradC

Reaction score
since it's just a code and not a paper coupon that you need to have in hand, you could go ahead and call and try to make the Resv. Reservations probably has no idea if you paid your MF or not.
The award email I received stated that you must present a copy of that email when you check in (there was even a place within the email to write in the reservation number). And the check-in desk agent definitely wanted the email when I arrived.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
The award email I received stated that you must present a copy of that email when you check in (there was even a place within the email to write in the reservation number). And the check-in desk agent definitely wanted the email when I arrived.

What is the name of the sending person? I've tried to find the email that confirms my payment and awarding me the SVOWN code, but I can't find it in my Outlook mail.

BradC

Reaction score
I just checked the dates I need at WKV in March and no luck.
Be sure to check back as you get closer to your travel dates. When I first called a few weeks before my trip, only SDO was available at the owner rate. When I called back a week later, WKV was then also available. I'm not sure if the new availability at WKV was from cancellations, or if there's some other factor that releases inventory at the owner rate.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check back as you get closer to your travel dates. When I first called a few weeks before my trip, only SDO was available at the owner rate. When I called back a week later, WKV was then also available.

Will do. Thanks! I just checked again and still no luck using the SVOWN50 coupons for the nights I need in March.

On the plus side, I was able to book the Westin Kierland HOTEL for the late March week I needed for $85/night via hotwire. (That's right, peak, peak season in Scottsdale and the Westin Kierland hotel is offering rates of $85/night). At that rate, I figure my extended family can all hang out at the Villa during the day and then we'll sort out later who gets to hike (or get conveniently carted) to their hotel room as needed.

-nodge

PS. In case anyone is interested in learning how to figure out which hotel is the Westin Kierland, according to betterbidding.com, the 4 star resort in "North Scottsdale" on www.hotwire.com with these amenities:

Resort, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Spa, Children’s Activities, Laundry

is the Westin Kierland Hotel.

The 4 star "condo" in "North Scottsdale" on www.hotwire.com with these amenities:

Condo, Resort, 1BR, Daily Housekeeping, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Golf, Tennis, Spa, Children’s Activities
(at one point didn't show Children’s Activities)

is a small one bedroom at the Westin Kierland Villas.

You may need to select a particular listing on hotwire and then click on a link near the amenities list to view ALL of the amenities at the resort before you can properly compare them with the above lists.

Of course, Hotwire can change the amenities list for the Westins at the drop of a hat, so there is some level of risk with using Hotwire to try to pinpoint a particular resort based purely on that list. Then again, isn't that part of the bargain hunting fun? -n

Last edited:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
paying maintenance fees early

for those of you who paid their maintenance fees early, you ere supposed to receive an award for 50% off the VO rate to stay at our timeshares. they are not mailing these to you, they are on your SPG account. log in and in the bottom right hand corner there is a list, look up awards earned and they should be listed there. then you have to call to redeem these coupons.

they are really quite valuable, we booked 4- 2 bedrooms at SVV for 3 nights during Christmas week for under $90 per night per unit.

barbra

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barbara - is that discount being honored at the newer, higher demand resorts?

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Call if you don't get your coupons

I paid my MF's early (Novermer) and never recieved the coupons. Had to call several times..........found out finally it is b/c the MF's that were on my bill in Nov. were not the "real" MF's but an estimate......so I paid the estimate that was given to me that date and later when I got an additional small bill in the mail and paid that...it was after the pay early date, so I got no credit. But upon looking in their records they could see that Harborside didn't send out the 2010 MF's until AFTER the pay early date, so all we had to go off of was the estimated payment before hand. It took about two weeks after that phone call to finally get my coupons. They do no include the following three resorts: Harborside, Lake side Terrace, and cave creek.
I guess I din't get entered into the drawing for the million starpoints either........so much for paying early. I am glad to see that people are getting good rates off these.......I figured that they were crap coupons and not really a good discount, but looks like they are, so I will call and see what kind of rate they will give for the Swan or Dolpin hotels? Anyone remember when they expire? I am guessing December 31st??
So for others of you that didn't get your coupons this could be the problem for you also?? Just give starwood a call and you might have to do that a few times until you get a rep that will actually figure out why......the first several just kept telling me it would show up soon!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe the hotel coupon is for 50% off the rack rate - which is the the highest rate, so even 50% off is usually not as good as the lowest rate you can get on the internet. Pointsjunkie was talking about the timeshare discount coupon - not the hotel discount compon.

bullroc3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awards

I just checked my SPG rewards and found the 50% off rack rate and this reward - SVOWN50 RATE-SINGLE USE-NO AWD.

Could someone refresh my memory as to what this is?:shrug: