• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

5 Night packages are [NOT!] for everyone now

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm not surprised to see the 5-Night Packages being talked about but this isn't Marriott or MVW saying that the rules have been changed. The Points Guy is an entity known for finding loopholes and other ways to exploit loyalty systems - what's surprising is that it's taken this long for TPG to learn about and publish 5-Night Packages info.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, I thought one was only for MVC owners and one was for general MR members. My mistake. I thought it was a change in policy.

But I don't think of TPG as exploiting loopholes. I know he has pointed me to some bonus earning opportunities I would have missed otherwise; including some Marriott ones. I think some other sites promote mistake fares and loopholes, but never much thought TPG fell into that category.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ah, I thought one was only for MVC owners and one was for general MR members. My mistake. I thought it was a change in policy.

But I don't think of TPG as exploiting loopholes. I know he has pointed me to some bonus earning opportunities I would have missed otherwise; including some Marriott ones. I think some other sites promote mistake fares and loopholes, but never much thought TPG fell into that category.

But that's what he's doing here, isn't he? He knows that as published it's supposedly a benefit of being an MVW timeshare owner but he still called around to see if he could find Marriott reps who would book one of these for him. I'd call that a loophole. :shrug:

It used to be that the only way to book these was through the ownership telephone line but very infrequently you'd hear of a Marriott rep booking one (usually at the urging of a timeshare owner who wasn't aware s/he should have called Owner Services.) During the last 2 years or so you'd hear of it happening much more often. MVW could close this loophole by reminding Marriott to not allow their reps to book them.

hhoope01

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this article as well and got my hopes up (as as a LT Plat member, but not an owner). So I called Marriott to verify and unfortunately, as far as anyone in Guest Services knows 5 night awards are for MVCI owners only and they know of no plans to change that. :bawl:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sent an email to MVW Exec asking them to look into this and today, got a call back. Nothing in the rules has changed as far as these 5-Night Travel Packages being available to ONLY the timeshare owners. They'll follow up as needed, and I've edited this thread title.

Thanks for the notice, GreenTea and hhoope01!

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does one need to buy from the developer to get the 5-night packages, or are they also available to Marriott owners who bought resale?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Does one need to buy from the developer to get the 5-night packages, or are they also available to Marriott owners who bought resale?

It is available to every Marriott timeshare owner no matter how you acquired your week.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of 5 night stays. Back in my early retirement years when I was taking a trip every month (traveling single) many times I would only stay 5 nights. My recollection is the main reason was that it enabled me to get the cheapest air fares.

George

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I like the idea of 5 night stays. Back in my early retirement years when I was taking a trip every month (traveling single) many times I would only stay 5 nights. My recollection is the main reason was that it enabled me to get the cheapest air fares.

George

What 5 nights gave you the best opportunity for best air fare ?

We get the best deal to reserve a stay Sunday thru Thursday 5 nights.

A Friday / Saturday, 2 night stay takes the same points as the other 5 nights.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Just like any policy, there are reps that either don't know it or don't follow it. Unless there is a system limitation these things can and will likely continue to happen.

I really have no issue if non owners are offered the ability to book five night travel packages. No skin off my back. Having them available to me gives me no real sense of exclusivity.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is available to every Marriott timeshare owner no matter how you acquired your week.
Thanks!

Is the 5-night package a much better deal than the 7-night package? Also, can the 7-night package be used towards a Southwest Companion Pass?

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have purchased a 5 night TP which I would like to give to one of my grown kids. Am I able to transfer the package?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have purchased a 5 night TP which I would like to give to one of my grown kids. Am I able to transfer the package?

Transfer, no, but you can book the room in their name.
Just book the room like normal and then call up Marriott and tell them your kids are going to be staying.

I did this for my daughters honeymoon.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks!

Is the 5-night package a much better deal than the 7-night package? Also, can the 7-night package be used towards a Southwest Companion Pass?

Actually, the 5 night package is a worse deal, because you don't really get the 5th night free like you do with the 7 night packages. So the per night cost is a little higher with the 5 night packages when compared to the per nights points cost for 7 nights.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What 5 nights gave you the best opportunity for best air fare ?

We get the best deal to reserve a stay Sunday thru Thursday 5 nights.

A Friday / Saturday, 2 night stay takes the same points as the other 5 nights.

Seems like a bit of confusion going on here.

The 5 nights that are being talked about are through Marriott Rewards. They can be used for any night during the week as long as it is available, regardless the $ amount the hotel is charging.

Your post sounds like you were confusing it with a 5 night reservation using Destination Points.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, the 5 night package is a worse deal, because you don't really get the 5th night free like you do with the 7 night packages. So the per night cost is a little higher with the 5 night packages when compared to the per nights points cost for 7 nights.
Thanks for the info!

I'm not that familiar with Marriott Rewards points. (I have technically been a member for ages, but have never racked up many points.) Anyone know if the 5 (and maybe the 7) night package is the only way to use Marriott Rewards towards a Southwest Companion Pass? Or, can one just transfer Marriott Rewards to Southwest miles (without also getting a hotel stay in the same transaction) and have the miles count towards a Southwest Companion Pass?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the info!

I'm not that familiar with Marriott Rewards points. (I have technically been a member for ages, but have never racked up many points.) Anyone know if the 5 (and maybe the 7) night package is the only way to use Marriott Rewards towards a Southwest Companion Pass? Or, can one just transfer Marriott Rewards to Southwest miles (without also getting a hotel stay in the same transaction) and have the miles count towards a Southwest Companion Pass?

According to post #14, the points transferred to Southwest from the travel packages count toward the Companion Pass. I have seen this mentioned in other threads as well.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, some 20 years ago, I was able to book a 7-night package for only 100K MRP and used 4 nights in Kauai and 3 nights in Maui. Does Marriott still allow a 7-night package to be broken down into 4 and 3 nights sand use at 2 separate locations?

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Probably a stupid question, some 20 years ago, I was able to book a 7-night package for only 100K MRP and used 4 nights in Kauai and 3 nights in Maui. Does Marriott still allow a 7-night package to be broken down into 4 and 3 nights sand use at 2 separate locations?

My understanding is that you must use all nights during one stay. I know that is true for the 5 night package as we have used that. No experience with the 7 night package.

Mike

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't readily find the Ts & Cs to confirm it, but I have always understood that the accommodation with Travel Packages cannot be split into 2 shorter stays.
I have only just ordered my latest 5 night Travel Package, as BA were offering a 35% bonus on Avios so I received 160k rather than the usual 120k.
There was no specific reference to usage of the 5 nights though.

hhoope01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Marriott still allow a 7-night package to be broken down into 4 and 3 nights sand use at 2 separate locations?
The special Hawaii Sampler award you are referring to is no longer offered. There were a couple of those "Sampler" awards around back in the day, but those were stopped around the same time Marriott changed their program to the current 5 night award structure (i.e. 5 award nights for the price of 4.)

This means the hotel cert from a TP award (be it a 5 or 7 night award) must be used at a single hotel for a single stay. Any unused portion will be lost.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, the 5 night package is a worse deal.......the per night cost is a little higher with the 5 night packages when compared to the per nights points cost for 7 nights.

I believed this was more than offset by lower airfares and sometimes lower car rental rates.

George