• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

$450/yr AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant to $95/yr AMEX Bonvoy

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
FWIW, we have 2 of these cards in each of our names. We’ve managed to get more value out of each than the cost of the card. Switching to the restaurant credit will take a little more effort, but not that much. I would bet, with the pandemic, AmEx was losing more business on this card because a lot of people weren’t traveling, making using that $300 credit for the average traveler difficult. They need more than Marriott timeshare owners to hold this card to make it worth offering. Nearly everyone can use the restaurant certificate, regardless of travel habits. I’d bet far more people spend $25/month at Starbucks than spend $300 in Marriott branded hotels.

I do both, but have changed my prepaid Starbucks card to use the Bonvoy Amex as the default for reloading. That should do a good job of making sure i use the monthly credit. You should be able to do that with any place that offers a prepaid card. I will see how that works.

As for the Free Night certs, i have combined these with cash or points weekends in Wine Country or nights near the airport before early flights.

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the 7% new?

Attachments

• 1658412323791.png
    1658412323791.png
    260.9 KB · Views: 70

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the 7% new?

That and the Automatic Gold Status are new benefits that Chase just announced for the legacy Marriott Premier Plus Business Card. (It use to provide automatic Silver; and a spending path to Gold.)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I also have the Bonvoy Business. So now with Gold on that card and 35k cert that can now be increased to 50k with points, that's a nail in the Brilliant CC coffin.

Fallenone

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Points
That and the Automatic Gold Status are new benefits that Chase just announced for the legacy Marriott Premier Plus Business Card. (It use to provide automatic Silver; and a spending path to Gold.)
Is that 7% on top of member rate, or simply just the member rate vs non-member rate?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Is that 7% on top of member rate, or simply just the member rate vs non-member rate?
Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels which participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.4

VicB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Woohoo! When I called to cancel my $450/yr AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant CC (since AMEX dropped the $300/yr Marriott credit), they offered to downgrade me to the no-longer-offered AMEX Bonvoy CC. $95/yr, 35K FNC. Well worth the price.
2 years ago we purchased 1,000 destination points and then rescinded within 48 hours. We had originally applied for the AMEX Brilliant card but when we rescinded the purchase immediately called AMEX and told them to cancel the cards. They sent them out anyway but we called again and cancelled. Never used the cards and never got the 75,000 Bonvoy points promised. Fast forward to June 2022, things are different, we are both retied and can travel anytime we want. So we purchased 1,000 points, applied for the Brilliant card and was approved. Used the card for the purchase price of the points and so we met the $3,000 purchases within 3 months criteria. But now they say we can't get the 75.000 Bonvoy points because pf our previous "history" of being offered the promotions in the past. I wound the email for the CEO of AMEX and he said he would have someone from his office look into it. I also filed a complaint with BBB seeking $937.50 which is the cost of buy 75,000 Bonvoy points. We do have Gold Elite Status

Any other suggestions?

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pursuant to the published Offer Terms for this card, " Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product . . ." Although I understand you cancelled this card shortly after issuance, the fact is it appears that you previously did have this card. If so, then pursuant to the Offer Terms you would not have been eligible for the Welcome Offer and you are really looking for them to make an exception on your part.

My understanding is that the AmX website is supposed to let you know at the time of application if you are not eligible for the Welcome Offer. If it did not, then maybe that should be your argument (i.e., you would have never completed the application and wasted the credit inquiries had the website let you know as it is supposed to do that you were not eligible for the Welcome Offer).

VicB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - appreciate your insights. We were not informed of ineligibility so we'll see what happens

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Unfortunately, I let my $25 credit go for February. We just didn't eat out much, and I tend to forget the credit. From now on, I am buying all restaurant food, even fast food, with that card. I am not going to lose another $25 credit, that's for sure. Rick will help me remember.

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
Unfortunately, I let my $25 credit go for February. We just didn't eat out much, and I tend to forget the credit. From now on, I am buying all restaurant food, even fast food, with that card. I am not going to lose another $25 credit, that's for sure. Rick will help me remember.
Good idea! The best part about those credits is they accumulate over the month. In other words, it can be one big purchase over $25, or several small purchases that add up to $25. As long as they are all in the same month, the $25 credit accumulates as you spend.

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Good idea! The best part about those credits is they accumulate over the month. In other words, it can be one big purchase over $25, or several small purchases that add up to $25. As long as they are all in the same month, the $25 credit accumulates as you spend.
Good reminder. I had $9 left last month and added $10 to my Chikfila app which I will use eventually.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Though I got rid of mine, the best answer I've read is to calendar the purchase of a $25 restaurant/coffee shop credit. Most of the major chains seem to allow this.

funNsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this thread has been recently resurrected, here is a summary of the changes for this card:

1) annual fee is now $650 per year (up from $450)
2) $25/month restaurant credit instead of $300 annual Marriott credit (this is the change discussed quite a bit above)
3) annual free night certificate now 85K points (and can top up another 15K points)
4) automatic Platinum Elite status (no spend required)
5) 25 Elite Night credits each year (no spend required)

I was extremely lucky as to when these changes were implemented relative to when my annual fee posted. My annual fee posted in early Sept 2022 at the old $450 rate but the change to monthly dining credit did not occur until late Sept 2022. This allowed a double dip: $300 Marriott credit in Sept 2022 and then started using $25 monthly dining credit in Oct 2022. This also allowed me to receive items 3-5 above at the old $450 annual fee amount.

Going forward, for me, I value the dining credit at $300 (I can get that back w/o too much effort) so, as long as I can get $350 in value from the 85K certificate, then I will keep the card. For now, this seems very easy to do and I expect to use the certificate to offset a room cost of $650-$1000. Getting Platinum Elite status is a bonus. The card also has Priority Pass but I already get this from another card so there is no value for this perk for me.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Though I got rid of mine, the best answer I've read is to calendar the purchase of a $25 restaurant/coffee shop credit. Most of the major chains seem to allow this.
This is a good idea. We ate at Raising Cane's a couple of times on Maui and used the credit, but this is great for home. We just don't eat out much at home because I stay on my health program and eating in saves a bundle over eating out.

What got me this time was my closing date for my card this month is 3/4, so on 3/2 on Maui, I told Rick that we need to go to Cool Cats to eat a meal to get the credit. 3/2 is ahead of my statement closing date. I did get the $45 charge on my credit card, saw my payment due was $45, called American Express and was told that the charge had to post by 2/28 to count. That seems very wrong to me, but I learned my lesson and won't be giving up the card anytime soon over $25 lost.

Has anyone had that happen before?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Since this thread has been recently resurrected, here is a summary of the changes for this card:

2) $25/month restaurant credit instead of $300 annual Marriott credit (this is the change discussed quite a bit above)
3) annual free night certificate now 85K points (and can top up another 15K points)

I was extremely lucky as to when these changes were implemented relative to when my annual fee posted. My annual fee posted in early Sept 2022 at the old $450 rate but the change to monthly dining credit did not occur until late Sept 2022. This allowed a double dip: $300 Marriott credit in Sept 2022 and then started using $25 monthly dining credit in Oct 2022. This also allowed me to receive items 3-5 above at the old $450 annual fee amount.

Going forward, for me, I value the dining credit at $300 (I can get that back w/o too much effort) so, as long as I can get $350 in value from the 85K certificate, then I will keep the card. For now, this seems very easy to do and I expect to use the certificate to offset a room cost of $650-$1000. Getting Platinum Elite status is a bonus. The card also has Priority Pass but I already get this from another card so there is no value for this perk for me.

Wow! thanks for the update. That is a huge AF increase and a significant devaluation.

Depends on whether the $350 net after the restaurant credit is worth it for a hotel room. Not to us - as finding a room that is significantly above that for one night is not attractive. We'll be downgrading as soon as our AF posts and we receive our annual cert to a 35k night card At least we can add points to the 35k certs and use it up to 50k with points for an airport stay.

Caution Rant: I am constantly amazed at how quickly Marriott is devaluing their Bonvoy. We stayed in Colorado recently on points. It was 33k / night for a studio during ski season reserved a year ago. Now the same room is 75k/night plus resort fees! Same with a Residence Inn in Salt Lake City. We stayed at W Verbier several years ago for a week for about $240k points. Same with Westin Riverside in Vail. I shudder to think what that costs today. Bonvoy points are now for augmenting the credit card nights. Very limited aspirational stays remaining. It was good while it lasted. Rant over.

Last edited:

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex

Nearly the same situation and thinking here. However, being Select level or higher in Abound which comes with Platinum Bonvoy status, takes that value point away from the equation.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
I told them I was cancelling due to the $200 increase for the card, and they offered me $200 to not cancel, so I took it for the old $450 annual fee. YMMV.
When was this? I thought they just give you points.

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
It's too bad one cannot find a hotel on the islands with just the certs anymore. It seems these companies incl. IHG now regularly price points just above the cert value to extract points...small paper cut devaluations.

Now that BONVOY points have been priced at nosebleed levels for stays at aspirational resorts, it seems the best use now is for cert plus points top-off for airport stays. However need less than 50k Bonvoy balance per year for that so wont use the card beyond MF.

Re $25 We travel and use take out regularly but if not, I plan to reload my Starbucks account. Dont need to step out of the house for that.

Yasssssss!!!! Was trying to figure out a way to use it without going anywhere! Lol

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I told them I was cancelling due to the $200 increase for the card, and they offered me $200 to not cancel, so I took it for the old $450 annual fee. YMMV.
I just cancelled this card yesterday. I called Amex twice and asked for retention bonus. Was told no both times. Not going to pay $650 for this non sense. I still keep $95 Chase Bonvoy and will get the same points for MF payment.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If Marriott would just give me 85,000 points instead of a one-night stay for up to 85,000 points, that would be better for a couple of cheap nights on the road.