• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

40 Year Florida Timeshare Expires in 3 Years - Then What?

bbakernbay

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if I will ever find out how this Sunsetting will work out. Because the Maintenance Fees have skyrocketed with so many delinquencies it is hard to imagine how many Owners are in good standing and would be around to benefit from the payout upon liquidation.

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just heard that the MFees have now I increased to an astronomical $1,300 per week. The 4 remaining units will be held for timeshare owners/exchangers until sunset in 2021.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just heard that the MFees have now I increased to an astronomical $1,300 per week. The 4 remaining units will be held for timeshare owners/exchangers until sunset in 2021.

And in 2021 there may be a very large pay out for those few remaining owners........

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how the payout is calculated. Say there is 70 units x 52 weeks = 3,640 owner weeks but assuming only 5% or 182 owner weeks are fully paid up and in good standing, do they get the full net proceeds? Say the 70 units sell for $50,000 each or $3,500,000 and outstanding liabilities and costs are $700,000 for a net of $2,800,000 then each of owner weeks gets $15,000 or thereabouts. The 70 units are each bringing in $1,300 in rent per month.

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
It just dawned on me that if the Timeshare is not renewed by the Owners at the end of the 40 year sunset period, and in our case it won’t be, then do the existing Owners in good standing actually participate in a liquidation payout.

Has anybody have any experience in what happens when a timeshare is not rolled over?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Take a look at the Apple Valley Resort thread.

Sure are a lot of discussions like this nowadays.

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
The End is near. We received an email yesterday saying that they intend on starting foreclosure proceedings or that we could Deed back our 4 weeks for a fee of $295. I advised that I would be willing to sign the paperwork to Deed back but in principle I am not paying $295 to benefit them considering they effectively expropriated our 4 weeks of deeded unit(s) so they could rent them out to permanent residents. We have not paid the exorbitant MFees for last 2 years.

The Manager said that she wasn’t authorized to waive the fee but to write a letter explaining our position and she would pass it up the line.

I still feel somebody in the ‘know’ is going to steal this income property for cents on the dollar. Hopefully Florida law provides some fair public notice and auction.

In theory, if there is only 10 paid up owner weeks out of 2,000+ weeks, do they get to split the net proceeds?

The resort is Lago Vista at Buenaventura Lakes in Kissimmee. The sunset is 2020.

Hopefully others with experience in these situations will chime in as I suspect that Lago Vista at BVL will not be the only timeshare going through this windup.

Last edited:

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received notice today that another timeshare we own in Palm Beach is about to sunset and the Board of Directors will soon be deciding as to how to wrap it up by either selling for redevelopment or converting each unit to a fully owned condominium. Apparently too many owners are becoming delinquent in the non-prime weeks. Looks for sure we can utilize our 2020 week but beyond that will take time to see what direction is taken. Looks like this story will be repeating itself as many 40 year Florida timeshares sunset.

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
WeEden11. I presume you are referring to Lago Vista at BVL. I haven’t received any written communication from LV@BVL for several years now but I tried to rent a unit for several weeks but their asking price was too high and we made other plans. Our family had many enjoyable times there in the past 25-30 years but realize times change. My only concern is someone is going to scoop that property up cheap and have a great cash flow and the owners get nothing because they squeezed everybody out.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received notice today that another timeshare we own in Palm Beach is about to sunset and the Board of Directors will soon be deciding as to how to wrap it up by either selling for redevelopment or converting each unit to a fully owned condominium. Apparently too many owners are becoming delinquent in the non-prime weeks. Looks for sure we can utilize our 2020 week but beyond that will take time to see what direction is taken. Looks like this story will be repeating itself as many 40 year Florida timeshares sunset.

Which Timeshare property in Palm Beach are you referring to?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The End is near. We received an email yesterday saying that they intend on starting foreclosure proceedings or that we could Deed back our 4 weeks for a fee of $295. I advised that I would be willing to sign the paperwork to Deed back but in principle I am not paying $295 to benefit them considering they effectively expropriated our 4 weeks of deeded unit(s) so they could rent them out to permanent residents. We have not paid the exorbitant MFees for last 2 years.

Florida being a non-judicial foreclosure state, costs and time and effort to foreclose are minimal. I would surely let them go right ahead and foreclose, if in your shoes. Paying them $300 per owned week to take (4) deeds back (at an operation which is plainly already "circling the drain") is nothing short of an insulting slap right across the face, in my personal opinion.

Last edited:

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received a phone call from our timeshare asking that we sign and return Waiver form that is apparently being sent to all 1,500 week owners. Sale process is underway and she said that several offers have already been submitted.

We only paid $1 for it on eBay so it will be interesting to see what each owner receives after everything is wrapped up.

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
We never heard anything further after we said we weren’t paying any fees for deeding back nor were we paying any further MFees.

I need to check to see whether it still has RCI affiliation which I seriously doubt as there were only 4 units left for timeshare owners or exchangers.

our Palm Beach timeshare sunsetted and owners voted at AGM not to extend so property likely to be sold at some point, possibly in 2021.