• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

4 Star Elite

SGould

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had an update this week and they really pushed 4 Star Elite. I was curious if anyone was 4 Star Elite and if they see any benefit.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Had an update this week and they really pushed 4 Star Elite. I was curious if anyone was 4 Star Elite and if they see any benefit.

I'm 5-Star Elite.

First, I would certainly not make a purchase with the primary goal of attaining 4-Star or Any-Star Elite. My achievement of 5-Star Elite was prior to discovering Tug.

Benefits I find useful (and I use) as a 5-Star Elite:
  • Early check-in of 2:00 pm
  • Late check-out of 12:00 noon
  • Bank StarOptions as late as December 31
  • No fee for banking StarOptions
  • For those times I've needed to convert to Bonvoy points - no fee and a 10% bonus
  • Prior to attaining Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum it was nice to have Platinum status in the hotel program without worrying about the number of stays each year
There are other benefits but I find I do not utilize them. Another benefit is certain Vistana resorts offer discounts to Vistana Elite members and the 5-Star benefits (such as F&B discounts, spa discounts, etc) are usually higher than the 3- and 4-Star Elite benefits.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Short answer: no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with Ken. For the price to get to 4 star, no.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I'm 5-Star Elite.

Benefits I find useful (and I use) as a 5-Star Elite:
  • Early check-in of 2:00 pm
  • Late check-out of 12:00 noon
  • Bank StarOptions as late as December 31
  • No fee for banking StarOptions

How hard do you have to push to get the early check in/late check out? I agree that the extended banking deadline and no banking fee are both useful.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
How hard do you have to push to get the early check in/late check out? I agree that the extended banking deadline and no banking fee are both useful.

I've received it every time I've requested in Hawaii and that's been at least a dozen trips or more. I've also received it at WMH the one time I requested it. I did not receive it at Westin Riverside and my understanding is that it is rarely granted at Riverside due to their small number of villas.

SGould

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were thinking, if we did this, to purchase something on the resale market and have them requalify knowing we would need a minimum spend. Has anyone had success doing this? If so, any tips?

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
There is a HUGE difference between 4 and 5 Star elite. My vote is no. I’m 4 and we did it before I found TUG. Luckily I could afford it and we use our ownership to it’s fullest but never would I recommend it for achieving 4 star elite benefits and I would never go for 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
We were thinking, if we did this, to purchase something on the resale market and have them requalify knowing we would need a minimum spend. Has anyone had success doing this? If so, any tips?

I obtained 3* via a retro+developer purchase in August. 3* was a nice addition but not the primary reason for doing so.

If considering doing this:

- Above all else buy a resale that you would want to use if the whole VSN system were scrapped.
- Next consider how many SO you actually want and can reasonably use
- It doesn't make much sense to retro in a mandatory unit since there are already SO associated with - if I intend to own for a long time my preference would be to get a cheaper voluntary resale that has a good $/SO ratio.
- Keep in mind that min spend for first requalification is $10k, each additional one in same purchase is $5k.
- Consider whether WFlex or SFlex is better for you. WFlex is a bit more expensive but will probably be easier to dispose of
- All things being equal you may want to go with a EOY flex contract vs. an annual to meet min spend given MF

Edited to add:

- I would also go through central sales rather than on onsite office. Some locations are limited in what products they can sell. Central sales can be more flexible in designing a deal that is less onerous (you'll still be paying through the nose).

Last edited:

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I've received it every time I've requested in Hawaii and that's been at least a dozen trips or more. I've also received it at WMH the one time I requested it. I did not receive it at Westin Riverside and my understanding is that it is rarely granted at Riverside due to their small number of villas.

Good to know. We're heading to WKORVN at the end of May, and early check in & late check out would be great!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Good to know. We're heading to WKORVN at the end of May, and early check in & late check out would be great!

Be sure and request it online through the Vistana dashboard so it is associated with your reservation.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
I'm only 3-star elite, but I've always understood the benefits of 4-star elite to be minimal.

Question for those who are 5-star, do you get the 5 suite night awards each year with Marriott Bonvoy? Or only if you stay the actual 50 nights?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I'm only 3-star elite, but I've always understood the benefits of 4-star elite to be minimal.

Question for those who are 5-star, do you get the 5 suite night awards each year with Marriott Bonvoy? Or only if you stay the actual 50 nights?

Marriott Bonvoy is the hotel program separate from Vistana timeshares. The suite night awards are when you get 50 hotel nights. Vistana timeshares stays however, do count towards that 50.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Marriott Bonvoy is the hotel program separate from Vistana timeshares. The suite night awards are when you get 50 hotel nights. Vistana timeshares stays however, do count towards that 50.
Yes, was just wondering if by any chance being Platinum through Vistana 5-star gave you the 5 suite night awards/annual choice benefit without having to actually stay 50 nights. I had read something about that when Bonvoy first launched, but figured it was false!

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Actually your timeshare nights do count now but you really need to stay on top of the situation to make sure you get credit.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

As does the 15 night credit if you have a Bonvoy card.

Pipercub925

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is something in writing somewhere that states benefits for being 4 or 5 star elite owners?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Lately I’ve been booking an extra day or try and find a cheap rate online for an extra Night. That’s the best late checkout you can get!

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Interesting in that chart that they no longer offer Bonvoy status with 3 or 4 star. As we have discussed previously the waitlist feature is useless.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Yes, was just wondering if by any chance being Platinum through Vistana 5-star gave you the 5 suite night awards/annual choice benefit without having to actually stay 50 nights. I had read something about that when Bonvoy first launched, but figured it was false!

No. Even though 5-Star Elite provides Platinum status in Marriott Bonvoy, one must still receive 50 nights of elite credit prior to being able to choose an annual award including the 5 Suite Night Awards. Credit card 15 nights, Vistana/MVC nights and award nights do count towards the 50 nights of elite night credit.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

The 5x SNAs are one of the choices of threshold gifts you can choose amongst at 50 and 75 nights credited. Those happen to be the thresholds for achieving Platinum and Titanium status through nights credited.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting in that chart that they no longer offer Bonvoy status with 3 or 4 star. As we have discussed previously the waitlist feature is useless.

Don't you get Bonvoy Gold automatically if you have a developer purchase? I don't think it was ever a 3* or 4* benefit.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Don't you get Bonvoy Gold automatically if you have a developer purchase? I don't think it was ever a 3* or 4* benefit.

Yes, any developer purchase gives you Bonvoy Gold.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The 5x SNAs are one of the choices of threshold gifts you can choose amongst at 50 and 75 nights credited. Those happen to be the thresholds for achieving Platinum and Titanium status through nights credited.

Hmm..I earned platinum again in 2019 after some years and didn’t receive any offer, option, or anything upon reaching it. I do remember receiving the 5x SNA when I reached it last time. Perhaps this is only offered once?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk