• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 night stays

jbird

Reaction score
How easy is it to book 3 night stays using your points. Can I use this feature 8 or 9 months in advance. Its hard to believe this would be possible. I would like to schedule 3 days at HGVC South Beach and at the clubs in cal. How do you make this work. Thanks

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Through HGVC site, you can reserve 3 nights online with no problem.
It's all subject to availability though.
If you are looking for a peak season, maybe there's no availability, but I have seen good availability for 3 nights stay even in Oahu, Hawaii for 2-4 months out.
Yes, you can check 3 nights availability at 9 months out.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The minimum stay for a "club" (points) reservation is 3-Nights.
Club reservations start 9-months (276 days) B4 check-out.
(NY-W.57th St = 45d)

The minimum stay for an "open season" (cash) booking is 2N.
OS reservations start 30 days from check-out (W.57th St - 15d).

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
If you're checking 9 months out at midnight eastern almost everywhere will have availability as it is loaded into the system. With changeable reservations that allow unlimited changes there's no reason you can't get a three night stay almost anywhere (in the online booking system) at any time.

jbird

Reaction score
If you're checking 9 months out at midnight eastern almost everywhere will have availability as it is loaded into the system. With changeable reservations that allow unlimited changes there's no reason you can't get a three night stay almost anywhere (in the online booking system) at any time.

Do you get confirmation right away or are you put on a waiting list. Thanks

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

It's immediate. The system won't let you book it if there's no availability. So when you book it, you get an immediate confirmation that shows where and when you're staying, and how many points (or dollars, if open season) it cost. You can print that confirmation and take it with you.

-BOb

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Do you get confirmation right away or are you put on a waiting list.

There's no waiting list, unless you call to ask for an RCI on-going search.
Booking thru the website, however, is cheaper than calling the C/S center.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch

Sorry it took so long to get back to your question. I spent the day driving back from Valdoro. It looks like it was well covered but I'm feeling chatty.

HGVC is an easy system to use when it comes to booking the resorts available online and it is instant. Availability is better updated in the "Classic" system than it is in "Revolution" so I generally prefer using the "Classic" system over going through the entire booking process only to find my hopes dashed as someone took one of my days 15 minutes prior.

Some hassle can be involved in booking the Florida affiliates and others that aren't in the online booking system because they do require phone calls to check on availability. Some of the affiliates in Florida and Scotland are available to book online for open season, however. Use the "Classic" reservation system to check open season on those resorts.

I've done the RCI ongoing search and had great results with that feature. It takes a call through the HGVC line to set one up, and it does require paying the fee up-front (refunded if they don't secure your dates/location). One thing I thought was very useful is that they will set up searches for different properties and weeks and secure the first available for you, automatically canceling the other searches. The fee is $199 for a full week if you do an ongoing search or book over the phone. It's $179 if you book through the RCI portal through HGVC online.

jbird

Reaction score
I am still in the process of buying I have not signed my name yet so I appreciate all info I receive. What is "classic" reservation vs. Revolution".

Also:If I do an ongoing search in rci say at nine months out what would be your guess at how long it woul take to secure a high end property in plat. (red) season

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am still in the process of buying I have not signed my name yet so I appreciate all info I receive. What is "classic" reservation vs. Revolution."

Also: If I do an ongoing search in rci say at nine months out what would be your guess at how long it woul take to secure a high end property in plat. (red) season

"Classic" was the original booking system. It was a bit clunky, and so to give HGVC's IT-geeks something to do, they designed a new and improved system named "Revolution." The latter was arguably better becuz it was more interactive.

Now, "Revolution" gets the big-button in the middle of the page, and "Classic" has been relegated to a link in small type at the bottom. It may soon disappear altogether, but some of us think its more accurate.

How long does an RCI on-going search take?
It depends on how broad your criteria are. IOW, the gods know.

Last edited:

aarones

Reaction score
you can check 3 nights availability at 9 months out.
g.gif

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"Classic" was the original booking system. It was a bit clunky, and so to give HGVC's IT-geeks something to do, they designed a new and improved system named "Revolution." The latter was arguably better becuz it was more interactive.

Now, "Revolution" gets the big-button in the middle of the page, and "Classic" has been relegated to a link in small type at the bottom. It may soon disappear altogether, but some of us think its more accurate.

How long does an RCI on-going search take?
It depends on how broad your criteria are. IOW, the gods know.

Accurate and works with iOS devices. It's also the same format for their reservation change system, which leads me to believe it'll stick around. But, who knows.

jbird

Reaction score
Last question on this matter. Are all openings listed ,available for either week or 3 day use? Is it the same for both hgvc and rci? Thanks

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Are all openings listed, available for either week or 3 day use? Is it the same for both hgvc and rci?

The HGVC member website allows you to book any number of nights for which you have points from 3 out... including borrowed points (borrowing is automatic). However, you have to call in to book affiliates, as their reservation calendars do not show up online.

RCI is a different kettle of fish. HGVC has a portal to a dedicated RCI-club reservation site with its own RCI search engine. When trying to book online, you only discover what dates are available after you narrow your criteria sufficiently to pick out a manageable number of resorts to evaluate.

Last edited: