• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

290,000 MRP's For 4 Economy Tickets to Hawaii

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just booked my flights to Hawaii (HNL) from LAX for July, 2009 and, after comparing other carriers, United seemed to be the most economical, but sheesh what a grind! 4 tickets valued at $2,800 (total) required 140,000 United miles (down from 280,000 from AA, Delta and Hawaiian). I did have 28,000 United miles, so the balance (112,000) required 290,000 MRP so a value of about .9 cents per point.

I feel luck but also ripped off. Had I opted for AA, Delta or Hawaiian, it would have required 570,000 MRP's. :annoyed:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
did you use a hotel/ff package?

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
did you use a hotel/ff package?

No - the MVCI rep could not see how that would benefit me. I had looked at the numbers before. Do you think the numbers would have been better with a package? I am using my home (MKO) resort lock off for two weeks (the efficiency at MMO).

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Do you think the numbers would have been better with a package?
Yes. For 235,000 MR points, you could have requested an 0830 air-hotel Travel Package with 120,000 UA Mileage Plus miles and a 7-night stay at any category 1 through 5 hotel in the Marriott family (Marriott, Courtyard, Residence Inn, etc.).

Had you done that, you would now have 55,000 more MR points and the use of that 7-night hotel stay.

Here is the Marriott Rewards page with the various air-hotel Travel Packages.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No - the MVCI rep could not see how that would benefit me. I had looked at the numbers before. Do you think the numbers would have been better with a package? I am using my home (MKO) resort lock off for two weeks (the efficiency at MMO).

Since you inquired with a MVCI Rep., I think you should call Marriott back and have them change this for you if possible. The "Rep" obviously did not give you good advice IMO.

Terry

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Ouch! I'm hurting about this use of points on bad advice. I suspect you might have problems getting changes now as the MR points used for FF miles can't be returned ... but maybe Marriott will come through for you. Good luck. Let us know how it works out

Brian

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about this advice. The OP needed four tickets. The package only gives 120,000 miles. Not enough for 4 tickets.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
You are correct ... 120,000 is the max with one air+hotel pkg. so the OP would have to have (or buy) some extra miles - he did have 28,000 already:

United saver chart shows economy seats at 35,000 FF miles each from US to HI. 4 x 35,000 = 140,000 FF miles.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1142,00.html

He must have used 'standard' FF miles which are much higher.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,59,00.html

Hawaii is about the hardest place to get flights on FF miles. If you don't do bookings early enough you might have to use 'standard' awards which are considerably higher .... better to pay for the flights in my opinion and earn points so eventually you can grow your points for (saver chart) future business class seats where the dramatic savings come in.

Brian

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about this advice. The OP needed four tickets. The package only gives 120,000 miles. Not enough for 4 tickets.

The OP already had 28,000 points so only needed 112,000 more. The travel package is the cheapest way to get these points.

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I will check with MVCI. I failed to indicate that I already had 29,000 UA miles so I only needed 111,000 more to reach the 140,000 mile cost for the four tickets.

I'll let you know what I find out.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

jazzfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just posted a message in the Travel site that I was able to purchase four roundtrip tickets from SFO to HNL (leave July 3 and return on July 18) on United Airlinesfor $475 each including taxes and fees if you don't have enough frequent flyer points or miles.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just did the same search on united.com for SFO-HNL from Jul 3-18. All I got are fares of $892 and up...

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did the same search on united.com for SFO-HNL from Jul 3-18. All I got are fares of $892 and up...
maybe all the low cost seats have been sold. Airlines are like car rental companies. Price can change any minute of the day it seems.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A search of that same itinerary on Orbitz shows fares of about $771 on those dates and adjacent dates, but nothing lower.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo

I sure hope this isn't one of those "special" marriott vacation counselors that only direct purchasers get....:D

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't feel too frustrated...I had USAirways points that I was assured I could use on Star Allaince but could not when I called 7 different agents. Yet when I looked on United sites they had seats which were not released to the partners. In fact I wanted to book tickets with a stop inbetween which I have done for years. Not one agent could offer me that anymore either.

We ended up using 280000 points for two First Class PHL to Hawaii next summer. Glad I got the trade I wanted.

The use of FF miles is getting more and more tight. At the time I booked these United was showing for 140000 online for two First Class seats but we had no access even though Star Alliance partners are told we can fly United. The industry is really changing.

Sue

jazzfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is really strange. I booked this airfare on www.bestfares.com this morning but in trying again this afternoon, the web page that quotes the fares has a totally different look and is showing the higher fares indicated by everyone else. The United Air website verifies my reservation and I have confirming emails showing the total cost for four roundtrip tickets as $1901. The website actually showed the cost as $2061 and when it subtracted a $40 discount, it showed the final cost as $1901. I must have been able to take advantage of a big glitch in their system.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
maybe not a glitch, see my post #14 above.

Last edited:

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
290,000 MRP's For 4 Economy Tickets to Hawaii /Trip Insurance

Since you inquired with a MVCI Rep., I think you should call Marriott back and have them change this for you if possible. The "Rep" obviously did not give you good advice IMO.
Terry

Many thanks for all your tips - especially Terry and Brian. I did speak to the Silver Elite Desk Supervisor and she immediately corrected the problem. I wound up with the Cat 7 + 120,000 miles for a cost of 270,000 MRP's.

Has anyone used the MVCI Trip Insurance through AIG/Travel Guard? Seems pretty reasonable, almost cheap. $102 for all four with comprehencive coverage including Trip Cancellation /Interuption up to $8,000 (since I booked two weeks).

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Go for the insurance. The more people you have going the more chances something could go wrong healthwise...as it covers not just the ones on the trip but close relatives not going as well. I've made two claims with II trades with AIG and other than getting doctor records they were paid promptly. With AIG I don't know how 'safe' your fee is but worth a chance if there isn't any a more secure and cost efficient alternative.

Brian

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent 140K per ticket for first class to Hawaii and 70K for coach (4 total tickets) on USAIR. I did buy a travel package. Points aren't what they used to be........

But have FUN no matter what!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Be careful with the insurance offering. Some carry lots of restrictions. For instance, some stipulate that the trip can only be canceled due to weather or (non-preexisting) health problem. You should check the details of the policy out.

Has anyone used the MVCI Trip Insurance through AIG/Travel Guard? Seems pretty reasonable, almost cheap. $102 for all four with comprehencive coverage including Trip Cancellation /Interuption up to $8,000 (since I booked two weeks).