• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

22,500 MRP or $175 Amex for preview

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott called me today and offered 22,500 MRP or an Amex gift card worth $175 if we sat through a 90 preview Tuesday at Oceana Palms. I think this is the most I've ever been offered.

Funny thing is that we are not going to be there. This is a room I booked for another Tugger because I had expiring DC points.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked into Grande Ocean. They are offering $175 (+$25), 20K MR (+ $25) or 250 DP (+$25)

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
What do you mean by +25?

The extra $25 is for picking up your gift from the lobby concierge a day or more ahead of the presentation. First time I have ever encountered that. We got the same offer for our upcoming check-in at Harbour Club. They claimed this offer is good only until the end of 2015 because they want to fill the holiday slots at SurfWatch and they are opening a new sales center across the street from Grande Ocean as of January 1.

My question is whether this is really an enhanced short-term offer or whether it is the standard choice of gifts at Hilton Head?

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott called me today and offered 22,500 MRP or an Amex gift card worth $175 if we sat through a 90 preview Tuesday at Oceana Palms. I think this is the most I've ever been offered.

Funny thing is that we are not going to be there. This is a room I booked for another Tugger because I had expiring DC points.

22,500 MR points is worth a minimum of $338 to me (1.5 cents per point), but I usually use 1.7 cents as my trigger to use MR points instead of cash.

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
22,500 MR points is worth a minimum of $338 to me (1.5 cents per point), but I usually use 1.7 cents as my trigger to use MR points instead of cash.

We are currently sitting in Oceana Palms for this presentation. I opted for the $175.. I really need to learn how to use our MR points more efficiently. Low pressure.. More like they didn't even try to sell us anything since our weeks are resale and are not eligible to convert anyway. He did mention that there was a promo back in October that would have allowed us to enroll our post 2010 week for just the enrollment fee. Yea... Don't think so. :rolleyes:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
You were actually typing the post during the presentation?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR

How do you calculate the 1.5 cents per MR point? I really like to know what is the best way to convert my 250k MR points I've accumulated over years.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
How do you calculate the 1.5 cents per MR point? I really like to know what is the best way to convert my 250k MR points I've accumulated over years.

We recently got close to 1.5 cents per MR point. They key is to getting this high of a value is using them to convert to Travel Packages where you get 7 nights in a hotel and then the maximum permitted air miles.

We converted to a united package, though we only took a five day package. We are using the hotel stay in Paris in a hotel that would cost over $3000. We then used 120,000 of the 132,000 United MileagePlus miles for round trip tickets to Europe.

Still, you can do much better than we did. Book the 7 night packages. They are a better redemption. A lot of people will convert two packages, get 240,000 air miles and then use them for two business class round trip tickets to Europe. So two weeks in Europe with round trip airfare. You can usually get very close to if not more than 2 cents per MR points with this route.

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
You were actually typing the post during the presentation?

Yes, was waiting for the survey guy to come sign us out.. :rofl: Came on to check if Marriott by some miracle opened enrollment for post 2010 as stated by the sales guy. Didn't think it would have been a post I would miss on TUG. The sales guy did say to make us feel good.. Our two current weeks are worth approximately 5600 points which would have cost us 67k to purchase direct. His dimished II availability didn't really stand up since we are here in a 2BR oceanfront at Ocean Pointe thanks to II with our 1BR trade.

Love our view from Pomleto!
12366447_10100913858886315_3019321081687484944_n.jpg

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Came on to check if Marriott by some miracle opened enrollment for post 2010 as stated by the sales guy. Didn't think it would have been a post I would miss on TUG.

See THIS thread on the topic. It was possible, but you had to buy points to do it. I believe they re-upped the offer through Dec 30th, but they also upped the point requirement to do so.

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! That thread was very informative! He did mention there is availability to purchase additional points to enroll which we were not interested in since we are now tied to a school schedule and have a touch enough time getting away 4 weeks a year. He said the offer in October was to enroll just for the $2395 enrollment fee and no point purchase requirements. That would have been tempting since it would save on our II fees with all our stays from trades. :D

See THIS thread on the topic. It was possible, but you had to buy points to do it. I believe they re-upped the offer through Dec 30th, but they also upped the point requirement to do so.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beautiful view. Looks like you're in the 2 bedroom side of a 3 bedroom? Enjoy your weather. We went to OP several times between Christmas and New Year. It was always blustery. The last time it rained all but one day.

Thinking out loud (that can be a mistake ;) ). . . if you combined the cost of the points and the enrollment fee and then divided it between your 2 resale weeks what would then have paid for resale? Don't take m/f's into consideration because my next thought is reselling the points to recover some of the costs.

Discussion?

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently got close to 1.5 cents per MR point. They key is to getting this high of a value is using them to convert to Travel Packages where you get 7 nights in a hotel and then the maximum permitted air miles.

Yes this is the best way to use the points. This thread sent me to compare points value for our overnight stays on the way home from GO. It's just too easy to find $79-$99 for the night at FI or RI. Since we'd only be there from late night to breakfast it doesn't make sense to find a more expensive hotel just to get high value out of the points.