• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2023 ] Credit Card: Hilton, Marriott, others?

T5travels

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas Boulevard
I just purchased my first HGVC deed and I want to get a rewards credit card for hotel stays. I already use the southwest card a ton and have a companion pass so I’m set for airlines. Should I get the Amex Hilton aspire and double down on Hilton or would it be better to get the Marriott Bonvoy card to diversify and give me different options or another card that I haven’t considered? I don’t travel for work so I won’t have a ton of hotel purchases for bonus points. My spending will consist mainly of everyday purchases both for personal and business.
What do you all have in your wallet? Let me know your experiences.
Thanks
We are also in the purchase process for first HGVC deed and have typically been doing 1-3 night mostly Hilton stays several times a year. So currently, between my wife and I we have 2 Aspires and 2 Surpass cards but we are thinking about upgrading each Surpass into a 2nd Aspire at the end of the year (hoping to maximize the resort credits on Maintenance Fees, plus 4 automatic free nights and lots of airline credits).

We dumped the Chase Sapphire Reserve a few years ago and each got Capital One Venture X cards (pays for itself annually, Priority Pass for authorized users, Primary Rental Car Insurance, transfer partners).

Also each have a Delta Platinum Card (recent move to get sign up bonus, more companion certs and $150 stays credit). This will be the go-to card for a while so we can build up skymiles as I'm seeing decent domestic point redemption values if I'm early to book.

That's definitely a full wallet, but I also have some Freedom Cards, Costco Citi Card, Alaska Airlines Visa, and AA Citi Mastercard for those specific purchases. May get a Chase Sapphire Preferred soon to better utilize the accrued Ultimate Rewards points. Used to have the Marriott and Hyatt Cards but recently cancelled cause we have enough points for occasional stays and we want to focus on Hilton.

Edit - later realized this was a "revived thread" from last year (still getting used to this forum Lol). Happy Point gathering!

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I now use my Costco Visa card to pay for Everything. I average $1,500 from Costco and another $300 from Visa.

I use Target, Amazon, and REI to get 5% off when shopping from those stores.

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
The Aspire "resort credit" only works at select locations. It does work at Elara, which your profile says you own.

Now that resort credit is bi-annual, i pay half my MF in December, and the other half in the following year.
That’s good to know. Hmmmm.

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
My wife and I just got an aspire card each ($550 x 2) and trying to maximize paying maintenance fees for both our hgvc flamingo 2br and potentially a new Craig Lodge unit (closing in 2 weeks).

I assume the "purchase" of the Craig unit itself won't be covered (as it's processed as Craig owners group), but was hoping to get 14x points at least? If not, I'll prob use my Sapphire preferred for points.

As far as MFs, can they be paid partial after January 1? I know you can split the fees when you pay, so we'll each do $250 on each card when fees become available this fall for flamingo.. giving $400. But they're due by January 1... Do I need to pay the rest on January 1 exactly?

I've always just paid my fees in the fall, so don't know how later payments would work.

Thanks!

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
My wife and I just got an aspire card each ($550 x 2) and trying to maximize paying maintenance fees for both our hgvc flamingo 2br and potentially a new Craig Lodge unit (closing in 2 weeks).

I assume the "purchase" of the Craig unit itself won't be covered (as it's processed as Craig owners group), but was hoping to get 14x points at least? If not, I'll prob use my Sapphire preferred for points.

As far as MFs, can they be paid partial after January 1? I know you can split the fees when you pay, so we'll each do $250 on each card when fees become available this fall for flamingo.. giving $400. But they're due by January 1... Do I need to pay the rest on January 1 exactly?

I've always just paid my fees in the fall, so don't know how later payments would work.

Thanks!
I have gotten the resort credit in the past with the purchase at Craig and the 14x. This past year, I received the resort credit with our Blvd but did get the 14x at Craig for MFs.

yes, you split. You can just pay the resort credit amount before Jan 1st and then rest after. You will get a $200 credit before and after ($400 total) for each card. MFs aren't late until about 45 days after Jan 1st, depending on the property. Some folks like to split them again to push the 3rd payment into the Feb CC billing cycle.

We actually split our between 4 cards, 2 Aspire and 2 Surpass to get $1k credit last year toward our MFs.

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
Finally set up the spreadsheet to look at the fee vs benefits and our typical spending habits. It looks like with a Surpass (which we currently fully utilize) and an Aspire, we could probably get $15K and $30K respectively for 3 FNC a year, as long as at least one of my properties triggers the resort credit (Elara and W57th).

Went ahead and signed up for one with the 175000 HH point bonus. That is almost 2 FNC in points by itself as well.

Will also generate a few more HH points by using the appropriate card for the spend categories.