• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2022 ] Keen to buy Vistana Villages but very confused, can anyone help?

annie10189

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been to Sheraton Vistana Villages 3 times and been to sales presentation every time.

Husband and I just got married and confident we will return to Orlando at least every second year and believe a timeshare is a more cost effective way to do this.

I've been researching and feel massively confused by fixed timeshare weeks, star options, deeded weeks, non deeded.

Someone recommended I buy mandatory resale weeks but I can't work out why.

Some of the ad's say buyer may receive title credit and I can't work out what this means,

We ideally want to be able to:

- Primarily travel to Sheraton Vistana Villages for 2 weeks every second year in a 2 bed unit
- We'd like the flexibility to change the times of year we travel (so not a fixed 2 weeks)
- It would be nice to occasionally consider going to other countries/resorts so some ability to swap/bank would be good
- In an ideal world Orlando one year and somewhere new the next etc

I'm incredibly confused by all of the options and would really love if anyone could offer some advice.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Welcome to TUG! You have found the exact place to get all your questions answered.

Buy resale whatever you do.
What is your budget?
Mandatory resorts are those where the StarOptions are granted to you each use year and can be used to book other properties in the Vistana network.
Highly flexible for using a variety of resorts.

Others here on TUG will give you the best advice on which Vistana resorts to buy - Westin Kierland is a favorite if your budget allows.

Redweek Westin Kierland resales:
The Westin Kierland Villas Timeshares For Sale | RedWeek

eBay has a Vistana mandatory membership for sale - you can setup an alert on eBay to be notified when new listings are posted
81000 STAR OPTIONS SHERATON VISTANA VILLAGES KEY WEST ORLANDO FLORIDA TIMESHARE | eBay

annie10189

Reaction score
Thanks so much @The Colorado Kid.

Our budget is relatively flexible to be honest. I don't mind spending a little more for 'the right thing'. Would rather have something that will work and allow flexibility long term than buy cheap and it not really work for us.

Welcome to TUG! You have found the exact place to get all your questions answered.

What is your budget?
Mandatory resorts are those where the StarOptions are granted to you each use year and can be used to book other properties in the Vistana network.

Others here on TUG will give you the best advice on which Vistana resorts to buy - Westin Kierland is a favorite if your budget allows.

eBay has a Vistana mandatory membership for sale - you can setup an alert on eBay to be notified when new listings are posted
81000 STAR OPTIONS SHERATON VISTANA VILLAGES KEY WEST ORLANDO FLORIDA TIMESHARE | eBay

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Here is a good introduction to Vistana (and the whole "mandatory"/"voluntary" thing): https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/s...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/

Purchasing an eoy ("every other year") unit at SVV may work well for you, but buy only in the Key West or Bella phases (which are "mandatory"). Also, buy only in prime season; the cost/benefit is much better on maintenance fees.

Take your time; do your research. It's a whole lot easier to buy these things than to sell them.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Kierland would give you a huge pile of points and you could easily book Vistana Villages with them. Figure about 12 grand or so for a resale Kierland.
I think it is more like $14000, right now with limited resales available
Hi all,

I've been to Sheraton Vistana Villages 3 times and been to sales presentation every time.

Husband and I just got married and confident we will return to Orlando at least every second year and believe a timeshare is a more cost effective way to do this.

I've been researching and feel massively confused by fixed timeshare weeks, star options, deeded weeks, non deeded.

Someone recommended I buy mandatory resale weeks but I can't work out why.

Some of the ad's say buyer may receive title credit and I can't work out what this means,

We ideally want to be able to:

- Primarily travel to Sheraton Vistana Villages for 2 weeks every second year in a 2 bed unit
- We'd like the flexibility to change the times of year we travel (so not a fixed 2 weeks)
- It would be nice to occasionally consider going to other countries/resorts so some ability to swap/bank would be good

I'm incredibly confused by all of the options and would really love if anyone could offer some advice.
A 2bd mandatory in Orlando will only come with 81000 staroptions. Right now it could cost upto $4000.
A 2 BD from Westin Kierland will get you 148100 options. It will cost around $14000 right now.

If you have a look at the staroptions value chart you can see how many options are required to book any of the different resorts.

That will help you decide how many to buy

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
We own 2 2br annual weeks at SVV key west. Our MF are $1300/year each. Each week gives 81000 star options that we usually use to go to Cancun in a 2br off season. We have never been to SVV but that is the power of the mandatory weeks. The lockoff rooms allow you to split the unit into 1br week and a different studio week, but the MF is higher for the LO rooms. I paid $1k per week on ebay when I bought the units.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Or just rent SVV as many Owners rent their weeks just to recover Maintenance Fees. Check RedWeek for rental prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if your goal is to simply save money on orlando vacations, renting is most certainly your best choice for now.

you can have your pick of 2br timeshares all over orlando for what they would cost in maintenance fees, many times even less depending on your scheduling flexibility.

same goes for many other locations that contain large numbers of timeshare resorts, although orlando is most certainly the largest/easiest rental market out there.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, I think this can be done by renting. Renting certainly gives you flexibility of time. And, renting probably gives you a cost close to what the annual fees would be, and saves you the need to buy (and, importantly, later sell) anything at all. If you instead needed e.g. Christmas and New Years every year, that might be different. But that doesn't sound like what you need right now.

This on the other hand might be worth exploring a points mini-system. That system could be Starwood, or it could be something else. There are lots of great timeshares in Orlando, so the real question is where else you'd like to focus, and that would help narrow down which system(s) would be a good fit.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
@annie10189 I own in orlando and travel to orlando. I wouldn’t use my star options to book a trip to orlando when you can buy getaways for much less than maint fees. This will free up your star options to travel In the vistana network. How do you buy getaways? Easy, when you own a mandatory property like SVV Key west or Bella phase you’ll receive a free interval account. In interval there are getaways for cash that you can buy in addition to what you own and they are plentiful to orlando. They are just extra one time cash vacations. You can buy as many as you like.

if you have the cash, buy Westin kierland villas. As mentioned a 2 bedroom plat plus week will yield 148,100 SO. You can use this to your advantage and get more than one week per year at many destinations in the VSN. It will also allow for star option usage along with an interval exchange if you wanted to lock off the unit. If you like orlando and are looking at Disney trips, then you may be able to deposit a prime WKV week into interval and exchange for a stay in a Disney property. A lockoff at WKV comes with so many excellent usage options. Whatever you do, BUY RESALE!!! Look for a mandatory resort and the best season.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score

What is your budget?

Just an FYI, the eBay listing is for a 2bd lockoff gold season. I put in a bid thinking it was a 2bd platinum, but then I saw the data sheet.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Either the market has taken a significant jump or there are a lot of other people thinking it's a high season week, as the bid is close to $2000
I think it is a supply/demand issue right now. Vistana soaked up a lot of weeks people didn't want with deed back programs. They were also very heavily pushing trading in weeks to sell new Sheraton Flex. I suspect a lot of people did this causing a lot of weeks to come off the market as Vistana added them to their Flex trusts. Also in the past, a lot of weeks came from exit companies that would list timeshares for resale. That business model kind of died to where now the exit company first tries to have the resort take it back (through deed back programs the owner can do themselves) or they tell the owner to stop paying and let the resort foreclose. I think the days of lots of Marriott and Vistana resales on eBay are behind us.

I wonder what a 2BR dedicated prime week would sell for now on eBay? Those in the past used to go for less than $1000. Then slowly crept up. The only hope of scooping a good deal is taking advantage of a seller or broker who doesn't really know what they are selling. Most Sheraton properties don't have ROFR, so Vistana can't scoop a good deal that you snag.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

What is your budget?

That one on ebay sold for a lot of $$$. I cannot imagine paying that much and then paying those fees every year. Am I the crazy one?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think it is a supply/demand issue right now. Vistana soaked up a lot of weeks people didn't want with deed back programs. They were also very heavily pushing trading in weeks to sell new Sheraton Flex. I suspect a lot of people did this causing a lot of weeks to come off the market as Vistana added them to their Flex trusts. Also in the past, a lot of weeks came from exit companies that would list timeshares for resale. That business model kind of died to where now the exit company first tries to have the resort take it back (through deed back programs the owner can do themselves) or they tell the owner to stop paying and let the resort foreclose. I think the days of lots of Marriott and Vistana resales on eBay are behind us.

I wonder what a 2BR dedicated prime week would sell for now on eBay? Those in the past used to go for less than $1000. Then slowly crept up. The only hope of scooping a good deal is taking advantage of a seller or broker who doesn't really know what they are selling. Most Sheraton properties don't have ROFR, so Vistana can't scoop a good deal that you snag.

This is exactly why I have had a tough time buying more SBP and SDO weeks. I would love to own more but they are hard to come by. Too bad Vistana got wise to all of the ebay ads for my favorite ones to own.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I agree that eBay listing went for pretty high based on other recent sales. I am seeing more resales increasing in the final prices on eBay as I think the resale market is recovering a bit from the last 2 years.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
This is exactly why I have had a tough time buying more SBP and SDO weeks. I would love to own more but they are hard to come by. Too bad Vistana got wise to all of the ebay ads for my favorite ones to own.
I have been trying to get SBP weeks as well. Looking for a 2 bed lockoff but cannot find it.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Westin Kierland would give you a huge pile of points and you could easily book Vistana Villages with them. Figure about 12 grand or so for a resale Kierland.

More like $15K today I believe. Prices have increased post-pandemic.

DandM1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages
[Text deleted. Solicitations are not permitted in the discussion forums. Please review the Posting Rules you agreed to when you registered as a user here.]

Last edited by a moderator:

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
[quote of removed post]
unfortunately your unit is not mandatory so doesn't come with the staroptions. You will likely have to give it away, possibly with incentives

Last edited by a moderator: