• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2021 ] well, this is going to sting! Inside Edition investigates Dave Ramsey's endorsement of Timeshare Exit Team

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I think your statement "...is not a huge business..." is poorly stated. To think of timeshare as a rental, it is s___d.

Owner's who rents out its timeshare is not a "business". If it is, then it is probably the worst "business" anyone can have. At best, it is a break-even venture with a potential for a little profit while the capital outlay (i.e., initial purchase price, maintenance fees, special assessments, etc.) make this a poor business. At the end, the business has no real value.

But considering how much time and efforts go into renting them to "profit", I think working at a minimum wage job would produce more "profit"/income.

I think you don’t really know what you’re talking about. If I buy a timeshare for $2.35 and rent it out every year for a major event, am I stupid. I’m not calling what I do a business. I just use a couple of my weeks to cover ALL my maintenance fees for my various weeks. It’s called free vacations.

Brerrabbit

Reaction score
This investigation did not seem to go very well for dave, or TET

went about as anyone here on TUG would have expected....

I sure would have expected better than this from Dave Ramsey. I have listened to a lot of his stuff and thought he had some good advice.

Maybe what somebody should do is sue this Timeshare Exit company, and subpoena Dave Ramsey as a witness, and require him to bring documents, etc., and put him on the witness stand and make him testify about some of this stuff. I would also use this discovery process to find out who these people were who supposedly got satisfactory results from this Timeshare Exit company, and subpoena them, along with their paperwork, bank records, etc. and get to the bottom of this.

Any lawyers out there with any comments about the feasibility of this?

Personally I would have these people who run these ripoff Timeshare Exit operations like this thrown in jail and be told they will stay there until they pay back every penny to everybody they ripped off. I can hear some of them right now - "we can't pay them back, we don't have the money / already spent it, etc." and I would respond by telling them they just better start thinking about how they're going to get it because that is the only way they will ever get out of there.
I would figure they probably stashed a lot of it in bank accounts in the Cayman Islands or somewhere, thinking they will do a relatively short stretch in some prison somewhere, then get out and be able to get their hands on it, and will wind up having made several hundred thousand bucks a year by doing that. But that would not be able to happen if they were told they couldn't get out until they paid it all back. And if that means they stay in there until they get carried out in a pine box? Well, tough s***.

Brerrabbit

Reaction score
Interesting article. It mentioned "3 proven DIY exits". It should have mentioned a fourth one. If the other three fail, just stop paying maintenance fees and let the resort foreclose.

I did that myself. Probably about 10-12 years ago, I don't really remember exactly when. I never had any negative repercussions on my credit score about it, I don't think. I really did not think through it, it just happened that way, but I don't have the time share any more and I am no longer paying maintenance fees, which seemed to go up about every other year at least, even if I did not use it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Maybe what somebody should do is sue this Timeshare Exit company, and subpoena Dave Ramsey as a witness, and require him to bring documents, etc., and put him on the witness stand and make him testify about some of this stuff. I would also use this discovery process to find out who these people were who supposedly got satisfactory results from this Timeshare Exit company, and subpoena them, along with their paperwork, bank records, etc. and get to the bottom of this.
He did mention on his radio show that they are wanting to bring him in for deposition.

Brerrabbit

Reaction score
He did mention on his radio show that they are wanting to bring him in for deposition.

It would be interesting if somebody could find out the court that it will be in, case number, etc. so somebody could either be there to watch the trial and/or look through all the records, transcripts, etc. afterwards, which I think would be public records.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did that myself. Probably about 10-12 years ago, I don't really remember exactly when. I never had any negative repercussions on my credit score about it, I don't think.

Which is exactly why many here on TUG do not recommend using these exit/cancel/relief companies. If they're not an outright scam, they will charge you thousands of dollars to do something you can do yourself for a lot less money.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Which is exactly why many here on TUG do not recommend using these exit/cancel/relief companies. If they're not an outright scam, they will charge you thousands of dollars to do something you can do yourself for a lot less money.
Also given that Dave preaches about no debt. Thus there should be no need for credit and credit score shouldn't matter to his listeners.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't usually post my videos here, but thought I would share this one I made about why I think Dave Ramsey is wrong about timeshares and Timeshare Exit Team. Who knows, maybe he will even see it :) It looks like a couple of timeshare exit company employees have already watched, two thumbs downs on the video :p

Last edited:

little1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you don’t really know what you’re talking about. If I buy a timeshare for $2.35 and rent it out every year for a major event, am I stupid. I’m not calling what I do a business. I just use a couple of my weeks to cover ALL my maintenance fees for my various weeks. It’s called free vacations.
[Deleted - if you can't be polite, don't post on TUG, DeniseM Moderator]

Even if you buy it for $2.35 and rent out for a "free vacation" now, why is that product was $2.35? Even if you were able to make it work for you, how much time you have to spend managing this business for a "free vacation"? What are the risks: maintenance fee going up, resort going down, special assessments that will eventually comes, etc.? When I died, the worst case for my business (which I owned several) is my heirs shut it down with no other obligations. You? pass it (timeshare) on to your heirs hoping that they can manage it as well as you or become a huge liability for them. If my parents owned and deeded me their timeshare when they die, I will dig them up from the grave, roll them over, and re-bury them. Hence, the expression "rolling in the grave"...just kidding....lol

What about 1 of the most important costly factors that may take you personally and your "business" down? Lawsuits. If a renter gets hurt for whatever reasons at a resort that you rented them and decides to suit, do you think he/she will spare you of the lawsuit? What insurance do you have to cover you for a timeshare lawsuit that you used as a "business"?

What if your renter significantly damaged the suite (intentionally or unintentionally), who would be responsible for the damages? Do the renters have enough assets or cash to cover any significant damages caused by them? Do you have a legitimate contract with the renter? Did you do a background check on the renter to make sure that the name and address given to you are legitimate in case something goes wrong? The list goes on....

I don't own any timeshare. I almost bought one in 1997. However, I have been effectively traveling all over by renting timeshares from owners like you. Over 90% of the time, rent fees were less than the cost of the maintenance fees paid by the owner. Maybe I should call my practice a "business". A good business, where I don't need to put up any money (which you put up $2.35...lol), flexible on when I want to use it (which you are not, because you have to use it, rent it or loose it), all for less than the cost of the maintenance fee (which you paid), and no special assessment/risk to worry about...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if your reply starts with calling someone else stupid, you should probably rethink your reply.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't own any timeshare. I almost bought one in 1997. However, I have been effectively traveling all over by renting timeshares from owners like you. Over 90% of the time, rent fees were less than the cost of the maintenance fees paid by the owner. Maybe I should call my practice a "business". A good business, where I don't need to put up any money (which you put up $2.35...lol), flexible on when I want to use it (which you are not, because you have to use it, rent it or loose it), all for less than the cost of the maintenance fee (which you paid), and no special assessment/risk to worry about...lol

These are some of the exact reasons why, when someone coming on here asks about buying, we recommend try renting first.

Reactions: RX8

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
When I died, the worst case for my business (which I owned several) is my heirs shut it down with no other obligations. You? pass it (timeshare) on to your heirs hoping that they can manage it as well as you or become a huge liability for them. If my parents owned and deeded me their timeshare when they die, I will dig them up from the grave, roll them over, and re-bury them. Hence, the expression "rolling in the grave"...just kidding....lol
You may rest easy for @buzglyd on this particular concern. Heirs who do not want a timeshare inheritance can legally Just Say No, and walk away. They are not obligated to accept a timeshare if they do not want it.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heirs who do not want a timeshare inheritance can legally Just Say No, and walk away. They are not obligated to accept a timeshare if they do not want it.

Correct! We have been emphasizing that here on TUG for years. Sadly, these exit/relief/cancel companies claim otherwise.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't usually post my videos here, but thought I would share this one I made about why I think Dave Ramsey is wrong about timeshares and Timeshare Exit Team. Who knows, maybe he will even see it :) It looks like a couple of timeshare exit company employees have already watched, two thumbs downs on the video :p
Well, my video has been garnering a lot of interesting comments :LOL: ;
1624743222541.png

1624743211766.png

1624743266730.png

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
I was listening to a Dave Ramsey podcast and there was a number to text to join a survey about timeshares and one's experience. I did the survey and gave our positive reviews. Our timeshare has been good for us-It's forced us to take vacations and we've been places we likely wouldn't have gone without it. We've also included family on our vacations. That being said, we've always had the money for our purchases and didn't go into debt. Another plus was purchasing Marriott so the quality has always been excellent. We've never been disappointed in our accommodations and enjoy the resorts/activities. Also, TUG has been a valuable resource in helping us understand what we own and how best to use it to our advantage. I do believe there are many people who have purchased timeshares that have become a financial burden and good for Dave Ramsey for helping people who aren't in a good position financially to avoid that pitfall in their lives. TET sounds like a scam though and disappointed that he promoted something that isn't really helping people but just taking their money.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I was listening to a Dave Ramsey podcast and there was a number to text to join a survey about timeshares and one's experience. I did the survey and gave our positive reviews. Our timeshare has been good for us-It's forced us to take vacations and we've been places we likely wouldn't have gone without it. We've also included family on our vacations. That being said, we've always had the money for our purchases and didn't go into debt. Another plus was purchasing Marriott so the quality has always been excellent. We've never been disappointed in our accommodations and enjoy the resorts/activities. Also, TUG has been a valuable resource in helping us understand what we own and how best to use it to our advantage. I do believe there are many people who have purchased timeshares that have become a financial burden and good for Dave Ramsey for helping people who aren't in a good position financially to avoid that pitfall in their lives. TET sounds like a scam though and disappointed that he promoted something that isn't really helping people but just taking their money.
So they were trying to get your information so TET can contact you and help you get out of your "financial burden." I wonder if they will get in touch with you after your positive comments.

I consider all exit companies, all postcard companies, every one, as scams.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
So they were trying to get your information so TET can contact you and help you get out of your "financial burden." I wonder if they will get in touch with you after your positive comments.

I consider all exit companies, all postcard companies, every one, as scams.

Sad that Dave Ramsey continues to provide TET with easy marks through this “survey”.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
[Deleted - if you can't be polite, don't post on TUG, DeniseM Moderator]

Even if you buy it for $2.35 and rent out for a "free vacation" now, (SNIP) Maybe I should call my practice a "business". A good business, where I don't need to put up any money (which you put up $2.35...lol), flexible on when I want to use it (which you are not, because you have to use it, rent it or loose it), all for less than the cost of the maintenance fee (which you paid), and no special assessment/risk to worry about...lol

You must be a joy at cocktail parties.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There are some great timeshares that can be had for less than $2.35 (closing costs included).