• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2021 ] well, this is going to sting! Inside Edition investigates Dave Ramsey's endorsement of Timeshare Exit Team

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana
He certainly does think anyone buying a timeshare is an idiot. The tone of his interactions with many callers has changed recently to a more condescending tone. I have watched a few videos from someone who is a former financial coach in Ramsey's program and he has recognized a change in how he interacts with callers. Even calls unrelated to timeshare, his approach is more talking down to the call and overall condescending. He has always had a matter of fact approach, but I think that can be done in a way to not berate the caller. It seems Suze Orman had it right and hung it up when the time was right. Ramsey keeps plugging away, for better or worse.
He's trying to go viral.
There's a formula.
being rude and mean unfortunately is becoming one of them

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
He's trying to go viral.
There's a formula.
being rude and mean unfortunately is becoming one of them
I think Dave is already viral, his radio show reaches over 18 million listeners.

One thing I notice when he talks about timeshares on his YouTube channel is that he always starts out with his arms crossed. Not sure if this body language is telling of anything.

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana
I think Dave is already viral, his radio show reaches over 18 million listeners.

One thing I notice when he talks about timeshares on his YouTube channel is that he always starts out with his arms crossed. Not sure if this body language is telling of anything.
No doubt he's popular but viral is a different thing

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
I was personally fascinated at the part of the video where the TET CEO claimed that once ramsey started promoting them, their business exploded by an order of magnitude.

shame he chose profit given how his apparent poor advice reached so many.

That's his MO (profit over good advice).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
He still is. Had another hour rant on the radio today.
Seriously a fool for trying to defend his decision to allow that company to advertise on his show.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Do we know if TET unloads weeks through EBay or Timeshare Nation? If EBay, what name do they sell under?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
none of the timeshare exit/cancellation companies im aware of use the viking ship or dump on ebay strategies. its not their goal to dispose of the timeshare via resale or transfer to a 3rd party etc.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Seriously a fool for trying to defend his decision to allow that company to advertise on his show.

Maybe a fool in appearance to those that know better. But saying he was wrong would likely 1) be worse for his reputation and 2) could present increased litigation risk. A good lawyer would probably tell him to not say anything, but a PR consultant would tell him to do what he is doing.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
none of the timeshare exit/cancellation companies im aware of use the viking ship or dump on ebay strategies. its not their goal to dispose of the timeshare via resale or transfer to a 3rd party etc.
So what do they do, try to force the developer to take them back or just let them go to foreclosure?

It seems that Sumday was part of a timeshare exit operation that was forced out of business by Diamond. They resold the timeshares.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

Some of them, which we call PCCs, don't they use E-Bay using the Power of Attorney method?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what do they do, try to force the developer to take them back or just let them go to foreclosure?

Most of them let the TSs go into foreclosure. They lead the owners to believe that they are working hard behind the scenes to get the owners out of their TSs legally and cleanly when all they really are doing is, unbeknownst to the owners, letting the TSs go into foreclosure.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Most of them let the TSs go into foreclosure. They lead the owners to believe that they are working hard behind the scenes to get the owners out of their TSs legally and cleanly when all they really are doing is, unbeknownst to the owners, letting the TSs go into foreclosure.
That is what I thought, but I would think they would take POA on these and at least try to unload them on eBay. There are certainly some companies doing that with all the EBay inventory out there. It is also possible that they are selling them through a third party, much like how Sumday operated. Timeshare Nation seems to be getting inventory from exit companies based on their FAQ.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
while there certainly are still PCCs out there that utilize the dumping on ebay with a bonus payment strategy, it appears many if not most of the major players have migrated to the exit/cancellation strategy which involves using the usual methods of requesting/demanding the resort let the owner out or surrender their deed back etc. The fees charged are astronomically higher, and the overhead/work required is a mere fraction of the viking ship/pcc model.

This of course works remarkably well for those owners who own within systems that have official deedback programs. The caveat is that while the exit company knows this, they certainly dont share that information with the client! Who would pay 5k for someone to call up wyndham for them and initiate a deedback using ovations?

the true fun part comes into play when the exit/cancellation firm instructs the owner to "cease all communication" or similar verbiage with their timeshare which includes communications such as "maintenance fee bills" and "overdue notices" as well as "you are now in default" type messages!

The result of the latter is of course, the client is no longer the owner of said timeshare so VIOLA! arent you happy you used xyz cancellation company?

most folks tend to get upset when they discover they paid a fortune to be duped into simply defaulting on their payments.

the variations of these themes may vary, it really all depends on the timeshare in question the "client" calls about. Dont believe me? call any of these companies up that you come across advertisements for and claim you have a timeshare you KNOW you can surrender back or give away (or even sell) on the resale market and see where that conversation goes. holiday inn, worldmark, hilton, heck even say disney just for kicks. Id really like to know how that last one goes!

21GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable that someone would be so stubborn to continue to endorse a company that clearly is a fraud. Talk about ego. Count me out as a fan of Dave...

MonicaOnVacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vail Resorts @ Hunter, NY Quarter Ownership (13 Weeks)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Was Dave Ramsey getting a cut?
Not sure he was getting paid a cut from every customer signed up, but rather just being paid for his endorsement and advertising of the company on his program.

little1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was Dave Ramsey getting a cut?

I think your question is a rhetorical question. If he is not getting a cut, why would he put his reputation on it. If he was wrong, then he would have come out and stated that he was wrong about it. That's what a reputable public figure would do.

I have listened to Clark Howard for years and occasionally listened to Dave Ramsey. When Clark was wrong, he would come out and state it. I have lost all my respect for Dave Ramsey. For a right price, a (fake) Christian could be bought by the devil.

little1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Little does Ramsey know about timeshares and that some of us not only enjoy great vacations, but we rent some timeshares to pay the dues on the ones we use. Ours is not a huge business, but we do well enough to not feel like we are stupid. When Covid hit, I was wondering why I bought all of my weeks, but this year I won't have any deposits to II because everything has rented. But our daughter is just good at what she does.

I think your statement "...is not a huge business..." is poorly stated. To think of timeshare as a rental, it is s___d.

Owner's who rents out its timeshare is not a "business". If it is, then it is probably the worst "business" anyone can have. At best, it is a break-even venture with a potential for a little profit while the capital outlay (i.e., initial purchase price, maintenance fees, special assessments, etc.) make this a poor business. At the end, the business has no real value.

But considering how much time and efforts go into renting them to "profit", I think working at a minimum wage job would produce more "profit"/income.