• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2021 trip to Boston and Hancock, Mass, things to see and do? Is there a Hop on/ Hop off company in Boston?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I love history, would love suggestions on what to do while in Hancock and Boston and nearby.

We love the Hop On/Hop Off buses in San Francisco and would like recommendations for those, if there are some.

We have our National Park passes, too. We are going April, so we are hoping things are open.

When we flew in/out of Boston to visit Maine and Cape Cod a few years ago, we did see The House of Seven Gables, which was great. I enjoyed it so much. We want to see everything in Boston that we can in a week.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When we visited Boston a few years ago it was recommended we did a Duck tour. This was before the incident in Missouri where a Duck tour boat sank and there was loss of life. If they are still doing them, and if you feel comfortable, it was a lot of fun. It's also well worth while to walk the Freedom Trail. You can do that on your own, no tour needed.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
There are so many things to do in Boston. You can walk the Freedom Trail, visit Nathaniel Hall, and, one of my favorites, take a Ghost Stories Tour to name a few.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love Bentley Brook in Hancock MA. The Norman Rockwell museum is close by as well as Chesterfield (Lincoln Monument was produce there). Short ride to Bennington VT. Great museum in Pittsfield. So much history in Boston. Quincy is a suburb and two presidents are buried at the Church in Quincy. The Boston Aquarium is superb. Quincy Market and Fanuel Hall are a must..

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will have many options in Boston (covid restrictions or not). Hancock....that one may be tough in April. We just returned a couple days ago from 4 nights at Bentley Brook in Hancock. Not sure if I could have entertained ourselves for more than that......alot was shut down mid week and I can only assume April is so off season it would be the same Covid or not.

Are you staying at Custom House?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We were able to buy a hop-on-hop-off day pass for Boston through Groupon several years ago and saved over 50%. It was a great way to see the city on our first day to make quick stops at places to see if we wanted to spend more time at them later in the week. Anytime we are planning a trip to someplace new I check for Groupon deals.

~Diane

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
BOSTON: (this is my personal ultimate list, in no particular order)

Driving out-trips to historic Lexington and Concord same day (bus tour possible too)..also include Walden Pond (author Henry David Thoreau).
Driving trip to Ogunquit, Maine, a quintessential little NE village...shops and cafes!!!
...........Most importantly, Walk the famous "Marginal Way"--an awesome (and easy) one-of-a-kind walkway along the cliffs overlooking sea
...........and the rocky coast..waves do crash in spectacular fashion!!! and there are benches! (bus tour available???).....
...........https://newengland.com/today/travel/maine/ogunquit/marginal-way-ogunquit-maine/
One day bus tour to Newport, RI to see "The Mansions".... see concierge. Awesome day!!!!!
Walk the Freedom Trail...don't miss Copp's Hill Burying Ground--2 min up hill from Old North Church....https://goo.gl/maps/DiYCiQzHQcmuwsgv5
Walk through Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall.... free and just fun!!!
Tour the USS Constitution, ship & museum (check their modified hours).
Lobster rolls and chowder for lunch at James Hook & Co...inside a "trailer" type bldg on the water
.........just south of Custom House/Marriott Long Wharf Hotel area. Wow, just Wow.
Walk to dinner into North End's Little Italy....(reservations recommended) ....amazing Hanover Street & area around it.
...........Get something from Modern Pastry (the best!).
Visit Sleepy Hollow Cemetery ("Author's Ridge" is located in there).
Take the "T" to Harvard Yard and visit bookstore "The Coop".
Uber or take the "T" to Beacon Hill---beautiful and famous brownstone residences of many dignitaries... cobbled streets & shops.
Horse & Buggy tour......just before dusk, truly beautiful & so fun. Originates from area at Quincy Market.
Boston Museum of Fine Arts.
Paul Revere's House...in North End.
Pizza at Regina Pizzeria---America's FIRST pizzeria on Thatcher St......only go to the Original location on Thatcher St./upper North End.
Lunch or dinner at Black Rose Irish Pub----across street from Custom House. https://goo.gl/maps/LdgasnWzRiBdBMZG7
Boston Common park....it's beautiful and quite large. Gorgeous pond! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Common
Fenway Park, if that interests you.
Ghost Tour.
Walk through the Marriott Custom House--- even if you're not staying there...the observation deck views are spectacular of the North End,
..............and of Boston Harbor, and can even see the Old North Church's white steeple, all visible.

Enjoy!!!
Boston is our favorite big city, and Custom House is our favorite Marriott property.....
we've visited 6 of last 8 years (9th this upcoming mid-October was cancelled due to Covid :cry: )

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am definitely worried that April could be off-season and less to do. I know it will be chilly. We were in Boston for one night and day before we went to Samoset, MN a few years ago. We saw the Salem Witch museum. Kind of fun, then The House of Seven Gables. Same day. We went to Melting Pot for dinner, too, spent two nights at a Hyatt and then drove to Samoset for a week, then back to Brewster Green in Cape Cod for a week. It was also April, and not much was open in Cape Cod or Samoset, including restaurants.

We still enjoyed the entire trip and went to the ocean most days while in Cape Cod and walked the beach a bit. Now that I have lost 76 pounds, I can walk even longer.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I am definitely worried that April could be off-season and less to do. I know it will be chilly.

I would humbly suggest that you get some input from our TUG resident Bostonian and guru, SueDonJ........
If she doesn't know, nobody knows. I'm in reality just a Fall tourist and dreamer.
I know a few things but not to the extent that Susan does, of course.
(I'd also be interested in knowing what it's like in April, since we usually take the second week of April off each year for travel.)

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I love booking walking tours. You get a lot more content than the on/off trolley and they often take you into buildings, etc. We got drenched on the tour we booked (by an author who was a descendant of Ben Franklin, IIRC), but still thoroughly enjoyed it.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
April can be hit or miss weather wise...mild or chilly, sunny or snowy...its New England as they say. Thoughts: when in Berkshires, head to Grandma Moses in Bennington, Vt, Williamstown has the Clarke Art institute really nice. Head west to Pioneer Valley. Northampton, Deerfield, the Mohawk Trail ..

I'm originally from Mass and lived there the majority of my life and working career..

Greater Boston, Marblehead, Rockport are north shore...nice visit. Newburyport too. Head south to Plymouth ...Walden Pond up in Concord. Take a ferry over to the Vineyard and drive around or stay a night at a quaint bed and breakfast. Hope this helps.
I am definitely worried that April could be off-season and less to do. I know it will be chilly. We were in Boston for one night and day before we went to Samoset, MN a few years ago. We saw the Salem Witch museum. Kind of fun, then The House of Seven Gables. Same day. We went to Melting Pot for dinner, too, spent two nights at a Hyatt and then drove to Samoset for a week, then back to Brewster Green in Cape Cod for a week. It was also April, and not much was open in Cape Cod or Samoset, including restaurants.

We still enjoyed the entire trip and went to the ocean most days while in Cape Cod and walked the beach a bit. Now that I have lost 76 pounds, I can walk even longer.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Also consider the GoBoston card. It used to include two days on Hop on Hop Off bus tours along with many other things.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking so forward to this trip. Thanks for the suggestions. I am so excited. We will definitely head to Vermont. I am hoping for good weather and not a bunch of snow. The Denver area is so risky for April, so I get what you are all saying with that possibility, especially in the Berkshires. We may go to a Red Sox game while there. We enjoyed that last time. I suppose Rockies won't be playing Red Sox during our trip. That would be too lucky.

• Love
Reactions: jme

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking so forward to this trip. Thanks for the suggestions. I am so excited. We will definitely head to Vermont. I am hoping for good weather and not a bunch of snow. The Denver area is so risky for April, so I get what you are all saying with that possibility, especially in the Berkshires. We may go to a Red Sox game while there. We enjoyed that last time. I suppose Rockies won't be playing Red Sox during our trip. That would be too lucky.
Vermont is my fave state in New England!...Route 100 is a nice drive and as mentioned Shaftesbury area, Manchester..Newfane real quaint...Woodstock..you will love it. Just bring a jacket and a hat...scarf...just in case..you'll be fine from Colorado. :)

Reactions: jme

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just adding to what is already here, although it may not be open until May, Longfellow House Washington's Headquarters , which is near Harvard, is a great tour. See https://www.nps.gov/long/index.htm

Also, in addition to the Freedom Trail, there is the Black Heritage Trail, which is very interesting and goes through a very scenic part of Boston. There is also an Irish Trail, which we have never done.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Woodstock would be a must see for me. Thank you for the suggestion. Rick's oldest brother was at Woodstock, even performed there. He was a guitarist and kind of famous. Tragic end for him.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Woodstock would be a must see for me. Thank you for the suggestion. Rick's oldest brother was at Woodstock, even performed there. He was a guitarist and kind of famous. Tragic end for him.

I think you're confusing your Woodstocks. The famous Woodstock festival was in NY (Catskill Mountains) not VT. It would be about a 2.5 hr drive from Hancock. That would be a nice tribute if you could fit it in.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We may go to a Red Sox game while there. We enjoyed that last time. I suppose Rockies won't be playing Red Sox during our trip. That would be too lucky.

The schedule for next season is out already. http://mktg.mlbstatic.com/redsox/images/schedule/2020/Red Sox 2021 Schedule.pdf It doesn't look like the Red Sox (in the American League) will be playing the Rockies (National League) but maybe you will be there when our Toronto Blue Jays are in town! :D Seeing a game in Fenway is still on our bucket list. We were able to take a tour of the stadium when we were in Boston but the games were all sold out when we booked our stay.

~Diane

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Woodstock ,Vt is not where the Woodstock festival was. It was in Bethel, NY !! :)...Woodstock , Vt is very pretty to visit tho...

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay, so why did Woodstock the music festival get named Woodstock?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
W
The Woodstock ,Vt is not where the Woodstock festival was. It was in Bethel, NY !! :)...Woodstock , Vt is very pretty to visit tho...
Woodstock,NY is about 40 miles away from where the 1969 concert was held. Was a kid then and still enjoy many of the artists.