• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2021 points revision

macman123

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None

The points charts for 2021 are changing.

For example its now 7 travel seasons instead of 5.

For example: Bay Lake travel Jan 1 BR Theme Park has gone from 273 points per week to 287

Riviera same travel period Jan Studio preferred 134 to 143

Grand Floridian Jan 1BR Lake 296 to 319

What do people think of the re-distribution?

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I figure they are not done yet making tweaks. The fall into January (marathon) has a lot of demand with the members. When they raise it for a certain season it is supposed to decrease in another season so it adds up the same pretty much for the whole year.

I am fine with tweaks for demand but draw the line if they try the lock-off premium crap again (no lock-off premium was explained to me in 2002 when we bought into DVC). If you want to read about the lock-off premium debacle you can search it on the disboards.com.

blondietink

Reaction score
I thought that with any revisions they could not change the actual point value per week, but could only redistribute the point values within a given week. So if they wanted to charge for more on Monday-Thursday, they would take away points from Friday through Saturday. Or, they could not charge more for the whole year than what was originally sold. But with adding more seasons, that could change it. But there is still a finite total of points for the year across all seasons.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I thought that with any revisions they could not change the actual point value per week, but could only redistribute the point values within a given week. So if they wanted to charge for more on Monday-Thursday, they would take away points from Friday through Saturday. Or, they could not charge more for the whole year than what was originally sold. But with adding more seasons, that could change it. But there is still a finite total of points for the year across all seasons.
They can change point values within a week, and they did exactly that in 2001 IIRC. Originally Friday and Saturday nights were much more expensive than weekdays, and many owners booked weekdays with points and weekends with cash, leaving weekend nights unbooked! DVC reallocated so that the difference was not so large, which evened out demand. But they can also reallocate across the year and routinely do to accommodate the changing dates of Easter and Thanksgiving. The 2021 charts show an honest effort (as opposed to the sleazy lock-off premium effort referenced above) to even out demand from fall to summer, and I agree with @littlestar that they’re not done yet. Yes, points went up for January, but they went down for some weeks in summer. As you understand, the total number of points for the year must remain the same.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
January may have increased a bit, but the first 3 or so weeks in September decreased. Problem is there is so much competition for the cheaper studios, even at 11 months out. BWV standard view studio is a bargain, BLT standard view studio is a bargain for its location, BCV only has one view category but not a lot of rooms and those studios are hard to get for Food and Wine festival due to its great location. I don’t think this tweaking is going to solve the studio problem. People want to stretch their points as much as they can. When we didn’t have many points, we would bookend our stays with a value resort. We have plenty of points now but will sometimes stay offsite on our travel day ( Marriott Village right off Apopka Vineland blvd) so we can get free breakfast in the morning, go check into our DVC resort and spend time in one of the parks until we get our room ready text.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What do people think of the re-distribution?
In general I like it - balancing demand across the calendar is what DVC is supposed to do. If in a few years the answer to the oft asked question, "When is it hard to book?" is "It's pretty much the same across the year" instead of "Early Jan, early December, Xmas, and Easter are insanely difficult" they will have done their job.

Lots of debate on the topic on more Disney focused sites (e.g. disboards) but something to keep in mind is that DVC is contractually obligated to limit changes to 20% per year. So we don't know if this is just testing the waters or if they really are newly committed to load balancing.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted, all hey have to do is keep the entire points the same for the resort for the year and there are limits on how much they can change in a given year but they've proven in the past this is not a limitation as they can change again the following year. Even further the limit only applies to the full units, there are no protections for the lockoff's unless the resort has stand alone smaller units that are stand alone.