• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2021] Ko’Olina Pecking Order Redweek Rented Owner Weeks Versus Vacation Club Points?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I do not envy the Rooms Controller at any MVCI resort. Their job is not perfect and not easy, especially with how complicated the MVCI timeshare system is. They have to balance weeks reservations, multi-week, individual DC Pts reservations, rentals, cash bookings, MVCI owners vs non-owners, MVCI owners at that resort vs not, etc, etc. Oh...don't forget the various MVCI Status levels (Chairmans, Presidential, etc, etc) and Bonvoy levels (unsure if they help or not). Oh..and what if you have multiple reservations.... in the same view (can they keep you in the same room) or different view. Constant shifting in and out. Oh..and don't forget the timestamp your reservation was made...as first come first serve...(maybe). Oh..and full villas might get first dibs...vs a lock-off. Don't forget the owner that complains at the front desk, and is moved into a better room (perhaps one from someone checking in later in the day?). Tons of data points which they are attempting to juggle. I do not envy their job.

Reality is....it is far from perfect...and is much harder since DC Pts introduction...allowing 1 day reservations (vs full 7 day weeks). I've had many II exchanges with a better view than my MCI ownership weeks. Odd enough, several in Hawaii. While I doubt the rooms controller 'formula' would do that....but likely did because that is what was 'available' for the exact check-in dates I had. For my MKO 3BR OV, there are only so many available...which limits options even further for the rooms controller.

I'll be at Maui and Ko Olina soon via my weeks and DC Pts reservations. The Rooms Controllers at both resorts certainly have my preferences, so hoping for the best. Either way, I'm just eager to get back to Hawaii!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I do not envy the Rooms Controller at any MVCI resort. Their job is not perfect and not easy, especially with how complicated the MVCI timeshare system is. They have to balance weeks reservations, multi-week, individual DC Pts reservations, rentals, cash bookings, MVCI owners vs non-owners, MVCI owners at that resort vs not, etc, etc. Oh...don't forget the various MVCI Status levels (Chairmans, Presidential, etc, etc) and Bonvoy levels (unsure if they help or not). Oh..and what if you have multiple reservations.... in the same view (can they keep you in the same room) or different view. Constant shifting in and out. Oh..and don't forget the timestamp your reservation was made...as first come first serve...(maybe). Oh..and full villas might get first dibs...vs a lock-off. Don't forget the owner that complains at the front desk, and is moved into a better room (perhaps one from someone checking in later in the day?). Tons of data points which they are attempting to juggle. I do not envy their job.

Reality is....it is far from perfect...and is much harder since DC Pts introduction...allowing 1 day reservations (vs full 7 day weeks). I've had many II exchanges with a better view than my MCI ownership weeks. Odd enough, several in Hawaii. While I doubt the rooms controller 'formula' would do that....but likely did because that is what was 'available' for the exact check-in dates I had. For my MKO 3BR OV, there are only so many available...which limits options even further for the rooms controller.

I'll be at Maui and Ko Olina soon via my weeks and DC Pts reservations. The Rooms Controllers at both resorts certainly have my preferences, so hoping for the best. Either way, I'm just eager to get back to Hawaii!

Do you have the email contacts for rooms control at both Maui and Ko’Olina.
Have a 1BR OV in the original towers in Maui and a 2BR ZZAA code for an OV in Ko’Olina- so any recs for what to request? One can hope….
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

No doubt. I've seen lots of meltdowns at the FD and quite a few heated discussions back when actual owners meetings were routine. I think it comes down to people feeling entitled and not being educated on the process. It's the very reason DVC completely removed any formal priority for room requests. Personally I make evry attempt to understand the process, be proactive and reasonable in my requests and be content with what I get assuming it's what was reserved. The ONLY time I can think of that I felt they did poorly enough to actually complain was at Ko Olina. Even then I didn't rant & rave. What I actually did was wait to midweek and ask to speak to the FD manager. His response made absolutely no sense and was condescending to I asked to speak to the GM. He arranged a meeting in person with himself, another high level manager and the GM for Kauai (where we'd be the next week). We simply discussed the issue largely because I didn't want them to repeat the poor choice they made in out situation. That's when I learned they had made the transition to being absolute with room type for unit assignments which the new GM had instituted. That made it more difficult to meet my requests which was simply to have the 4 rooms as close as possible. Even then they'd done so reasonably but then had an owner complain when checking in and their response was to change him to one of our rooms and then move 3 of our 4 rooms (1 room type only in one building) across to the far side of the resort.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 3 bedroom ocean view two door is really a 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom and has 3 full baths. If you search on points you can see a pic. Just a thought.

View attachment 40556
Thank you for the suggestion and the great picture/drawing. I ran it past the powers that be and no one wants to spend the week in twin beds with the bathroom across the hall. I know first world problems . . . .

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is renting a bunch of points to cover whatever reservations you need to book, and then when you are making the reservation, reserve a 2BR OV Single Door Entry -- that will guarantee that you are in Naia Tower. The owner can do the same when making their ownership week -- request the Single Door Entry. Then you know all four rooms will be in the same tower at least, and if you have a Saturday check-in, I think your chances are even better for having some of the rooms on the same floor.

When is your trip? Good luck with it, sounds great!

Best,

Greg
Thanks Greg. We are planning for early 2023 so we are planning early. In this case, the owner will be there for 3 weeks and everyone else will come in to join them on the third week. The owner strongly prefers the Kona tower and since they purchased they’ve been given stunning ocean view rooms at the ocean end of the building. They split one of their 2 bedrooms for the first two weeks and then stay in their other 2 bedroom the last week usually inviting friends or family to join them in the studio. In 2023, they would like to have all couples in the family join them for the third week. It does sound like a great trip and we may just have to add on a week in Maui for us alone before or after!

I am surprised by all of the opinions offered on which way to go. I am currently leaning toward renting or opting for enough points for 3 2 bedrooms. Then, I would add the owners name to our 3 reservations and ask room control to put them in the same building (ideally the same floor) with the best ocean view possible. It would be awesome if we got the 4 units circling the end of the Kona building on the ocean side all on one floor. But, we won’t expect that for sure. I just don’t want to pay for ocean view and be on such a low floor or at such an angle that I can’t really see the ocean.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do not even get recognized as chairman even though we have enough points to be 10x over.

Makes no difference at hotels for our family as I have been lifetime Titanium for a couple years. Wife is lifetime platinum and lifetime Titanium through MVC chairman's status. Son has been Titanium for the past 4 years and he is 15.

Last time you used weeks and got a 10th floor. What floor did you get using DP reservations?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have not stayed there yet using points. However I used points to book the penthouse for next time.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
For just before Covid hit, I can say with 100% certainty that Ko Olina gave priority to those using their owned week over others and that owning a week there but exchanging in made little if any difference. I can also say with 100% certainty that Grande Ocean has done the same and has looked at DP reservations as an exchange including the last 4 summers. I've never seen any evidence that MVC status made any difference in unit assignments though I suspect there have been times when it could have.

They really should put DPs at the top of the hierarchy if they want people to buy DPs. Is there anywhere in week contracts that says week owners are at the top of the hierarchy?

Unless the week contracts were sold as being better than DPs, if I were Marriott, I would do this order: DPs, weeks, exchanges (if an owner), renters (even if using points or weeks), exchanges (non owners).

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They really should put DPs at the top of the hierarchy if they want people to buy DPs. Is there anywhere in week contracts that says week owners are at the top of the hierarchy?

Unless the week contracts were sold as being better than DPs, if I were Marriott, I would do this order: DPs, weeks, exchanges (if an owner), renters (even if using points or weeks), exchanges (non owners).
It would certainly be inequitable and upset all Weeks owners staying at their home resort, if they were lower priority in unit allocation than DP owners.
It is true that DP owners have a proportionate ownership of resorts where the Trust owns inventory (although this excludes all European resorts, some Caribbean resorts…) and this should be recognised appropriately.
However, a home resort Weeks owner’s investment and commitment to that individual resort has to be greater than a DP owner to that individual resort and should be recognised accordingly.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Legally I don't think they could do that. Realistically I doubt it'd make a dime's difference on sales. Remember that the resorts that are mostly weeks are owned by the members, not MVC. MVC is simply the management company. I do strongly believe that DP should be just after owners at that resort and above exchangers, even if MVC owners even at that resort.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Totally agree that owners staying in their owned weeks should be given the priority they deserve for paying to maintain the property! I kinda feel that even if trading back in they deserve the deference, but that’s iffier. I am surprised that DP owners are so low, though, at least at some properties. I might be mistaken but thought I saw lower priority that renters from Marriott, which surprised me. I don’t know if that still persists.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally agree that owners staying in their owned weeks should be given the priority they deserve for paying to maintain the property! I kinda feel that even if trading back in they deserve the deference, but that’s iffier. I am surprised that DP owners are so low, though, at least at some properties. I might be mistaken but thought I saw lower priority that renters from Marriott, which surprised me. I don’t know if that still persists.

Few resorts actually publish their unit allocation guidelines but of those that do, for example Aruba Surf Club, DP owners have higher priority than renters from Marriott and only Aruba Surf Club owners have higher priority then DP owners.
B20BB4C0-2F94-41C7-8C0F-DB2284572635.jpeg

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Few resorts actually publish their unit allocation guidelines but of those that do, for example Aruba Surf Club, DP owners have higher priority than renters from Marriott and only Aruba Surf Club owners have higher priority then DP owners.
View attachment 40605

Thanks for reposting that. I thought I remembered Dp owners being lower at some point early on; either they changed it or I’m mistaken. I know the list used to be different- they used to distinguish between multiple week owners at the SC

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 40605
IMO that is a perfect order of preference other than I might tweak all DP reservations above all exchanges but that's a minor issue though. Obviously there are other factors so common sense should come into play. And those doing the assignments are not going to be perfect either plus it's likely a little bit like nailing jello to the wall.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find #4 a bit confusing.
Booking with DC points requires the view booked be given, are they saying they equally prioritize the view listed on an II exchange?
Or does this mean it’s the order they honor the request made a few weeks before check in for say a high floor or specfic building?
I realize this is specific to surf club, but I’ll add I have been specifically told at HH all exchangers go in the back buildings on low floors regardless of their exchange code so if that is true this is not standard. I wish there was more of a standard.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Booking with DC points requires the view booked be given, are they saying they equally prioritize the view listed on an II exchange?
Or does this mean it’s the order they honor the request made a few weeks before check in for say a high floor or specfic building?
I realize this is specific to surf club, but I’ll add I have been specifically told at HH all exchangers go in the back buildings on low floors regardless of their exchange code so if that is true this is not standard. I wish there was more of a standard.
It would certainly make it simpler if there was more of a standard.
DC Points bookings would always get the view designation booked, I am sure that in this case the allocation priority would just be for location preference within the given view designation.
HH may not be unique for allocating exchangers in the way they do, but there are certainly other MVC resorts we own at where they definitely don’t allocate the less preferable units to exchangers.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would certainly make it simpler if there was more of a standard.
DC Points bookings would always get the view designation booked, I am sure that in this case the allocation priority would just be for location preference within the given view designation.
HH may not be unique for allocating exchangers in the way they do, but there are certainly other MVC resorts we own at where they definitely don’t allocate the less preferable units to exchangers.

Thanks for the reply.
I’ll also add that my HH information is based on what I was told about 5 or 6 years ago (last I was there). I have a neighbor who goes almost yearly and he was told the same many years ago and it has held true.

I would prefer there to be a standard so as to manage expectations- I would rather accept what I will be getting in advance than be disappointed when I arrive.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are some of the groups that are guaranteed view type and prior to covid, most resorts tended to give the view type of the exchange anyway, some basically 100%. We all know that has changed due to covid, whether it'll change back at some point no one knows, though IMO, it shouldn't. One other factor is concurrent/consecutive reservations which put you at the top of your group. This gets complicated when you have reservations within different types, it's not uncommon we have owned weeks, points and exchanges in the same group, esp for HHI, Aruba and HI. It can be a complicate puzzle, I don't envy the assigners job.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Maybe we were lucky, but at Monarch we clearly were assigned the OV unit on our trade confirmation. We requested and received a great room/view. So perhaps at the bigger HH resorts that’s still the case, or we were just lucky, but we had a corner unit with one balcony facing the pool/OV and the other more of an OF view.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a 25+ year owner of Marriott weeks -- reserved as owner, or exchanges through II -- I arrive at the resort with an understanding that random and 'luck' have the overriding power. If I get a great room location I Rejoice! If not, I try not to pout for more than 24 hours.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Thanks Greg. We are planning for early 2023 so we are planning early. In this case, the owner will be there for 3 weeks and everyone else will come in to join them on the third week. The owner strongly prefers the Kona tower and since they purchased they’ve been given stunning ocean view rooms at the ocean end of the building. They split one of their 2 bedrooms for the first two weeks and then stay in their other 2 bedroom the last week usually inviting friends or family to join them in the studio. In 2023, they would like to have all couples in the family join them for the third week. It does sound like a great trip and we may just have to add on a week in Maui for us alone before or after!

I am surprised by all of the opinions offered on which way to go. I am currently leaning toward renting or opting for enough points for 3 2 bedrooms. Then, I would add the owners name to our 3 reservations and ask room control to put them in the same building (ideally the same floor) with the best ocean view possible. It would be awesome if we got the 4 units circling the end of the Kona building on the ocean side all on one floor. But, we won’t expect that for sure. I just don’t want to pay for ocean view and be on such a low floor or at such an angle that I can’t really see the ocean.
I think that's a good plan -- good luck and let us know how it goes!

Best,

Greg

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
View attachment 40605

I too would like that every resort use this room order matrix. Actually I would just like MVC to standardize this across ALL their resorts to one set of rules. This would make it so much better experience for guests and associates. It is safe to say a little disconcerting when you visit one MVC and they have different standards than another MVC property.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
View attachment 40605

What is the priority for renters who rent from an owner? Is it #5?

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
What is the priority for renters who rent from an owner? Is it #5?
It would be #1.

#5 would be owners renting unit from Marriott. I have not had a complaint for room placement of my surf club renters. I do book my Plat+ week 13 months out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

vpplayer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Ko Olina OV (deed)
Data point and opinion:

Deeded MKO 2bdrm OV owner here for 15 years. We've stayed at MKO most years (though not 20/21 due to COVID) and and I'm always on the MVC website promptly at 0900 (12 months out) when inventory opens with almost instant confirmation every time. We do lock out our unit to get two weeks (Efficiency/1 bdrm). We request high floor Moana. As the years have gone by, our assigned floor has gone from 12th to 11th to 10th to 9th (which is where I am typing this from). Enough for me to call it a trend, and due to the 13-months advantage that high points- and multi-week owners, I expect that trend to continue. Full 2-bdrms may track that progression, I don't know.

I get the advantage of INVENTORY available to the 13-month reservations, but given what I've read above, i wonder...

It should go without saying that if the 13-month deeded weeks owners should and I presume do get preference (over singe deeded-weeks owners) on their other requests, like buildings, floors (of course they ABSOLUTELY should). How about the case of MKO deeded owners who elect points to stay at home resort? Again, yes as they are still deeded owners. But NON-deeded points owners -- who do NOT have MKO as "home" resort? -- No, I definitely would have an issue with that, and frankly I don't care what their points level is.

I used MKO as the pertinent example, but my questions apply in general. I accept that many will disagree.

I realize I have not addressed the renters priority questions but there's an argument to be made that renting directly from a deeded owner should have a higher priority than rented points.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How about the case of MKO deeded owners who elect points to stay at home resort? Again, yes as they are still deeded owners. But NON-deeded points owners -- who do NOT have MKO as "home" resort? -- No, I definitely would have an issue with that, and frankly I don't care what their points level is.

I used MKO as the pertinent example, but my questions apply in general. I accept that many will disagree.

I realize I have not addressed the renters priority questions but there's an argument to be made that renting directly from a deeded owner should have a higher priority than rented points.
There are only a few resorts that give owners not using their deeded weeks any priority or at least say they do. Most that I'm aware of don't give them any consideration at all officially. Personally I don't think they should. Private enters are consistently given owner priority and I think they should be partly because there's no way to police it unless you have an absolute requirement the owner be in the room. However, there is always going to be resort to resort variability and even variability at a given resort. The room assigners have a lot to balance and I tend to give them a pass in all but the most egregious of poor assignments. I've only had one where I felt they were truly inappropriate and it happened to be at MKO.