• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2021 changeable reservation policy changes

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Changes to HGV’s Cancellation Policy
During the COVID-19 pandemic, HGV has strived to provide our Members with peace of mind and flexibility for travel planning. As part of that effort, we waived our cancellation policy. Starting August 1, 2021, this policy will be reinstated.

In addition, Club’s new Changeable Reservation Policy begins August 1, 2021. Under this new policy, all Home Resort Priority, Hilton Club Priority, and Club reservations using ClubPoints at Hilton Grand Vacations Club resorts may be changed without incurring additional transaction fees provided the change is made 61 or more days prior to check-in and travel commences in the same calendar year. Changes made 60 days or less are not permitted and are treated as a cancellation. The Changeable Reservation Policy applies to new reservations as well as reservations confirmed prior to August 1, 2021.

For tips on how to cancel or modify a reservation online, read our Step-by-Step Cancellation Guide. Also visit the Travel Updates page for the latest COVID-19 news from HGV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
By the wording of these statements, I expect that this will be the last extension.

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the wording of these statements, I expect that this will be the last extension.
Based on this new policy, does that mean the work-around for reservations, changing them to other dates (within 30 days of the reservation) to avoid the loss of points will not be valid anymore ?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Based on this new policy, does that mean the work-around for reservations, changing them to other dates (within 30 days of the reservation) to avoid the loss of points will not be valid anymore ?

Yes.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Sorry. Point penalties apply out becuz it will be treated as a cancellation.
Point protection may be a decent option, if there's a chance you want to.
Also, you lose your booking fee, unless it's a freebie (home-week or Hilton Club-AI).

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I am curious how flexible the phone reps will be if you are within 60 days and want to add additional days to the vacation or upgrade to a bigger unit that became available. I don't suspect they are going to let you push a reservation out beyond 60 days to avoid penalties.

That sounds right to me .... assuming the IT folks actually have the technical aspects ironed out and ready to be implemented.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am curious how flexible the phone reps will be if you are within 60 days and want to add additional days to the vacation or upgrade to a bigger unit that became available. I don't suspect they are going to let you push a reservation out beyond 60 days to avoid penalties.
I actually am wondering the same thing. It would be worth a call. Nothing to lose.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMO it will depend on the rep. She said they could add but not reduce days. However given she was wrong in trying to enforce this policy on me prior to this Covid end date, YMMV.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't help wondering if HGV in 2022 will either be much less flexible as the new policy didn't have that much effect this year or if they will make the policy even more strict. Had they not been so flexible they could have made a lot more money on peoples cancellations and rebooking.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have pushed the policy changes to October:

CANCELLATION POLICY: During the COVID-19 pandemic, HGV waived the standard cancellation policy to provide you with travel flexibility. Starting October 1, 2021, this policy will be reinstated. Reservation fees are non-refundable. More details in the Club News page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for sharing @natarajanv. Whew! This gives us a few more weeks to plan. Still not sure if we can travel to Scotland in late August, however England will open on Aug 2 to vaccinated U.S. visitors. Now wait and see if Scotland opens up...

Changes to HGV’s Cancellation Policy
During the COVID-19 pandemic, HGV has strived to provide our Members with peace of mind and flexibility for travel planning. As part of that effort, we waived our cancellation policy. Starting October 1, 2021, this policy will be reinstated.

In addition, Club’s new Changeable Reservation Policy begins October 1, 2021. Under this new policy, all Home Resort Priority, Hilton Club Priority, and Club reservations using ClubPoints at Hilton Grand Vacations Club resorts may be changed without incurring additional transaction fees provided the change is made 61 or more days prior to check-in and travel commences in the same calendar year. Changes made 60 days or less are not permitted and are treated as a cancellation. The Changeable Reservation Policy applies to new reservations as well as reservations confirmed prior to October 1, 2021.

Fully-Vaccinated US And EU Citizens Will Be Allowed Quarantine-Free Travel To England | HuffPost UK (huffingtonpost.co.uk)

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Brother just cancelled HGVC Borgo Alle Vigne in September and had no charge and was returned all points. From the above statement had he cancelled tomorrow would that have been treated like a cancellation with the above described penalties even though the reservation was made months ago?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Brother just cancelled HGVC Borgo Alle Vigne in September and had no charge and was returned all points. From the above statement had he cancelled tomorrow would that have been treated like a cancellation with the above described penalties even though the reservation was made months ago?

Huh? The cancellation policy has been suspended until October 1st. If COVID is still raging then, it might be pushed later.

There has always been a cancellation policy. It was you haft cancel at 31 days or later or lose some (30-16 days) or all (15-0 days) of your points. The reservation time never made a difference. The work around was you would just change your reservation to a period outside the 30 day window and cancel.

Now, you can’t change 60 days or closer. Any change within that time is treated as a cancellation, effectively eliminating the work around.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I cancelled Scotland, now rebooked based on new UK guidance for Aug. but still not 100% sure as to whether we will go. I am thankful for the Oct 1 extension. The customer rep told me we can cancel as late as day of arrival (which we won't do but nice to have.)

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Huh? The cancellation policy has been suspended until October 1st. If COVID is still raging then, it might be pushed later.

There has always been a cancellation policy. It was you haft cancel at 31 days or later or lose some (30-16 days) or all (15-0 days) of your points. The reservation time never made a difference. The work around was you would just change your reservation to a period outside the 30 day window and cancel.

Now, you can’t change 60 days or closer. Any change within that time is treated as a cancellation, effectively eliminating the work around.
Oh geezzz sorry, I must be going blind, I read August 1! But thanks for the feedback anyhow. Interesting though the way I read it even if you booked a reservation well prior to Oct 1 the new rule applies to your booking. Hence, no changes within 60 days or it is treated as a cancellation. FWIW, he didn't cancel based on the above policy but rather being nervous about travel to Europe now. We have a mutual friend who recently got stuck in Spain as he contracted Covid and couldn't travel for I believe at least 10 days. He just got back to the states two days ago and feels fine thankfully.