• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2021 Amtrak Auto Train

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
there have been some updates the past few years-the lounge for sleeper cabins was cut out, and no 1st class (steak) and coach menus. It's all coach now--and it's also not free any more. No free wine. Still a good way to get from DC area to Florida. Many fun Mickey spring break trips for us!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
there have been some updates the past few years-the lounge for sleeper cabins was cut out, and no 1st class (steak) and coach menus. It's all coach now--and it's also not free any more. No free wine. Still a good way to get from DC area to Florida. Many fun Mickey spring break trips for us!
Yes, it appears the coach menu is now more ala carte, and not as fancy.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, especially when you're going to Florida for several weeks. You save the cost of renting a car, plus you can load up your own car with all the stuff you want with you on vacation that you could never take to an airport! Pack your car to the gills! We don't travel light - we want all our stuff with us! If you're only going for a week, it won't be worth it.
I think in the situation that you describe, the only real options are driving (maybe two vehicles) or taking the autotrain. Anything else becomes too expensive.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the early 50s (I lived in Philadelphia at the time) there used to be ads in the classifieds from people who Wintered in Florida looking for someone to drive their cars to Florida so they could take the train. I did it a number of times both going to and returning from Florida. Car owners paid for the gas and gave me some cash to cover food, etc. It worked for both of us. They got their car to Florida and I got there for free. I'm wondering if this is still done...

George

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Back in the early 50s (I lived in Philadelphia at the time) there used to be ads in the classifieds from people who Wintered in Florida looking for someone to drive their cars to Florida so they could take the train. I did it a number of times both going to and returning from Florida. Car owners paid for the gas and gave me some cash to cover food, etc. It worked for both of us. They got their car to Florida and I got there for free. I'm wondering if this is still done...

George
There is still some of this, but many of the seasonal visitors just pack their car on a truck transport, fully loaded up with suitcases, and fly down to meet it. I haven't noticed many of these transport trucks this year. These are the same open carriers you see hauling new cars to the dealerships, but you can tell they are owned cars by the variety on the truck (age and make) and the licenses.

Last edited:

sharewhereMiMi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten VA,
Presidential Resorts Wilderness VA, Wyndham Myrtle Beach SC,
The Quarter House, New Orleans LA
We drove down to Savannah from Baltimore the day after Christmas and it took 12 hours. I was thinking anything including a long train ride would be better. LOL
Curious sidebar: Was your stay right downtown with the BlueGreen TS?

sharewhereMiMi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten VA,
Presidential Resorts Wilderness VA, Wyndham Myrtle Beach SC,
The Quarter House, New Orleans LA

George
I did this a couple of times way back when, for a BMW dealership owner who wanted his convertible and 4WD. He flew and my then boyfriend and I drive from Northern VA area to West Palm....then fly back in a personal jet...ahh those were the days of the early 1980s.

Any snowbirds here?
I’d be available as a driver ;)

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We took the auto train one way down for a week’s trip and typically drove back. Cuts the driving in 1/2 and cost 1/2 the price.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

George

There is a company in Toronto called Toronto Drive Away that will arrange for peoples' cars to be driven to points south, mostly Florida in the fall and back home again in the spring. In the last few years they now also offer a car carrier transport for folks who don't want their car driven down or back. I'm sure there are similar companies in the northern states.

Years ago DH and I did a trip with them one spring. The company covers 1 airfare down to FL, a night or 2 in a hotel plus meals (with a monitory limit) and gas for the trip back. We had booked a timeshare stay in Fort Lauderdale and arranged the airfare down for the week before the car pick-up date. At the end of our stay we drove up to Boca Raton, picked up the car, returned our rental car and headed home. We drove a fairly new Cadillac and we were not allowed to put any of our things in the trunk as the owner had all her things in there. It was a very comfortable trip home and we have thought about doing it again.

~Diane

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
We took the auto train one way down for a week’s trip and typically drove back. Cuts the driving in 1/2 and cost 1/2 the price.
Ain't usually worth it for a week. 2 weeks minimum is a break even, 3 weeks becomes a winner.

Last edited: