• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2021 Amtrak Auto Train

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Auto Train transports you and your vehicle (car, van, motorcycle, SUV), 855 miles from Lorton, Virginia to Sanford, Florida, just outside of Orlando.

Please share your recent experience or any future plans
Riding Amtrak Auto Train to/from Florida (Skip I-95)

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I can't even tell if the train is running. When I enter a request for a trip, I get messages that the stations at Lorton and Sanford are not available. I can't even plan a trip. OK, it is, but I really had to dig to find a trip.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
they have a special if booked by 1/22. 2 people roomette for $149, plus $200/car. So, family of 4 for $500. Southbound March 15-May 31. Northbound thru end of Feb. that's a deal! We've taken both roomettes with kids and seats (when roomettes were too $$$). Trust me, get the roomette--for safer Covid travel and comfort. There's quite a bit of movement, so you won't get a good sleep, but with a roomette, you'll be rested and OK.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
they have a special if booked by 1/22. 2 people roomette for $149, plus $200/car. So, family of 4 for $500. Southbound March 15-May 31. Northbound thru end of Feb. that's a deal! We've taken both roomettes with kids and seats (when roomettes were too $$$). Trust me, get the roomette--for safer Covid travel and comfort. There's quite a bit of movement, so you won't get a good sleep, but with a roomette, you'll be rested and OK.
Interesting. I’m driving back down next Thursday night. Stopping in Raleigh.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Interesting. I’m driving back down next Thursday night. Stopping in Raleigh.
Raleigh has no connection to the AutoTrain.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Raleigh has no connection to the AutoTrain.
Right, I’m driving down to orlando but stopping in Raleigh instead of driving right through.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Right, I’m driving down to orlando but stopping in Raleigh instead of driving right through.
If you can, try to make it to the Savanna, GA interchange. MUCH nicer variety of motels and restaurants.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you can, try to make it to the Savanna, GA interchange. MUCH nicer variety of motels and restaurants.
I drove and stopped in Savannah last time I drove. I was planning on leaving in the afternoon Thursday that’s why I picked Raleigh. Plus I got a Fairfield inn for 65 bucks with taxes and fees :)

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I drove and stopped in Savannah last time I drove. I was planning on leaving in the afternoon Thursday that’s why I picked Raleigh. Plus I got a Fairfield inn for 65 bucks with taxes and fees :)
I've always found the interchanges in the Carolinas to be really cheesy. The only place where we refused to stay at a room because it was a dump.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
The Auto Train transports you and your vehicle (car, van, motorcycle, SUV), 855 miles from Lorton, Virginia to Sanford, Florida, just outside of Orlando.

Please share your recent experience or any future plans
Riding Amtrak Auto Train to/from Florida (Skip I-95)
Last time we were on the train we had a whole car to ourselves.
PA230026.jpg

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I love riding that big-ass train! Big comfy seats (compared to an airplane), nice dining, good food, nice lounge space, an after dinner movie, then we settle in to cramped seats for the night. Then breakfast in the AM as we pull in. Nothing like a banana and some cereal with coffee!
!

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How long is the train ride and does it makes any stop from Virginia to Florida ?
Does Amtrak still serve hot food on this train or do you need to bring a picnic baggage?

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have taken the Autotrain once many years so can't comment on any recent trips.

We did enjoy it. We had two roomettes. They take a video of your car before boarding it. I like that - it's to protect themselves of course.

If I remember, there is one stop only but no passengers are picked up or get off. It is still an overnight ride/can't remember the hours but it takes as long as driving (more or less). I wish my husband would take it again. He prefers flying 1st choice and driving 2nd choice. We are driving down next month.

(I have also taken Amtrak down twice. Once with my two kids to Jupiter and once with my daughter, her two friends and my sister to Disney. Definitely not happy with restrooms/unless you book a room).

Brett

Reaction score
My parents always took the auto train from Lorton Va. to a stop north of Cocoa Beach Fla.
It's believe the auto train is not running this week near Wash. DC (Lorton) ..... some kind of special event is going on in Wash DC

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always found the interchanges in the Carolinas to be really cheesy. The only place where we refused to stay at a room because it was a dump.
The Raleigh Durham area is very nice with lots of options right off the highway and others closer to large malls, etc.

The 95 corridor and exits in NC (Rocky Mount, Wilson, Dunn, Benson, Lumberton) are all as you described.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We drove down to Savannah from Baltimore the day after Christmas and it took 12 hours. I was thinking anything including a long train ride would be better. LOL

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
The Raleigh Durham area is very nice with lots of options right off the highway and others closer to large malls, etc.

The 95 corridor and exits in NC (Rocky Mount, Wilson, Dunn, Benson, Lumberton) are all as you described.
Rocky Mount is OK. They have a nice little town area with some decent food options. Otherwise, yeah.

The Savannah exit on 95 near the airport is a chain store / restaurant/ hotel / traffic nightmare.

The Residence Inns at both locations were fine. Nothing special, but none of those are anyway and we were only there for under 12 hours anyway eating take out and getting a little rest.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
How long is the train ride and does it makes any stop from Virginia to Florida ?
Does Amtrak still serve hot food on this train or do you need to bring a picnic baggage?
The trip takes from 4 PM to 9 AM (either direction). There are two trains that pass each other in the middle of the night - somewhere near Pedro Land - ever hear of it? They start boarding around 2:30 or so. There is 1 stop in the middle of the night to change crews, but no passenger boarding. When you check in they ask you if you want the 5:30 or 7:00 dinner seating (or a 3rd one later if the train is really full). They seat you at tables with other people. You usually get a choice of a meat, chicken, fish, or vegetarian meal with salad, coffee, and dessert. You also get a carafe of wine. Breakfast is not formal seating, just go when you want. They offer small boxes of cereal and milk, bagel with cream cheese, banana, juice and coffee. Once the train arrives, you wait for them to unload your car and call out your number. Sanford is just east of Orlando, off I4, and Lorton is south of the DC beltway, on I95.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Loading cars on the car carriers. This is the Lorton station - that truck you see on the left is actually on I95 .
PB010103.JPG

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
The seats are large and roomy in coach. At night people get two seats together and try to lie down and sleep. We took a sleeperette one year , but my wife hated it. They folded up the seats and pulled down the beds while we were at dinner, so from 7:00 on when we got back to our room we had no place to sit. My wife took the upper bunk, but there is no window up there and the ceiling is low. She said she felt like she was in a coffin. So, we had enough room in coach. Take your toiletries, a pillow, some drinks and snacks with you in a small cooler. There are drinks and snacks available in the lounge car, but it's pricey. There used to be a smoking area on the lower level of the lounge car, but have no idea if they do that anymore.

PA230025.jpg

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've done it a few times, albeit a few years ago, and would recommend it. Always met nice people and some who remain friends today. It is nice to have your car with you when you arrive. :thumbup:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the Auto Train allow cats or dogs (in car carrier type cages). If so, do they allow the pets to stay with you or are they placed into a special baggage type car?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
We've done it a few times, albeit a few years ago, and would recommend it. Always met nice people and some who remain friends today. It is nice to have your car with you when you arrive. :thumbup:
Absolutely, especially when you're going to Florida for several weeks. You save the cost of renting a car, plus you can load up your own car with all the stuff you want with you on vacation that you could never take to an airport! Pack your car to the gills! We don't travel light - we want all our stuff with us! If you're only going for a week, it won't be worth it.

Last edited: