• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2020 ] New owner Vistana timeshare questions-20700 points package

nickgoldie

Reaction score
Hi there. My wife and I attended a presentation a couple of days ago and signed up for the 20700 points VISTANA packet which comes down to a total of $8400 with all closing costs.
They also gave us 61000 points extra in the account. The fees are 480 a year which will start in 2023.

I found this forum and start to question our decision. I dont have access to the getaways website and but it seems to me that these 20700 points are low to move forward and we did not get a good deal. Also, the vistana properties are not that many to choose from.

Would you keep that package above or cancel it within 10 days? We still do not have access to the system and we cant figure out if this package is good or not.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My suggestion is to simply rescind. You should still be within the recission period. The deal you are getting is not very good and the annual fees are very hight. You are far better off to look at a mandatory resale week to buy that comes with StarOptions. Your booking options will be more limited between 12 and 8 months out, but at 8 months it will work exactly the same as the package you have bought. If you don't know what a mandatory resale is yet, still rescind, then do a lot more reading here on the forums. The key here is RESCIND! You can still get the same package you bought later, but you only have the 10 days to rescind. You will still be able to access getaways with a mandatory resale week.

nickgoldie

Reaction score
My research so far on the forum coincides with your recommendation to rescind. thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You should be able to pick up a mandatory resale week at a resort like Sheraton Vistana Villages. It comes with 81,000 StarOptions and would only cost about $2000. Of course the MFs are higher at about $1400 all in. However you are getting four times the number of StarOptions you are getting in your package.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
My research so far on the forum coincides with your recommendation to rescind. thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.
If you need a second opinion, rescind now while you still can.

You will still be able to book great properties at 8 months out. And after you rescind, the terrible deal from the resort will still be there.

Just write the letter, send to the address via certified mail within the time limit and then you have all the time in the world to figure out what you would like to purchase.

Glad you found TUG in time. It will feel like winning the lottery (ok, a small lottery win).

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Rescind. 20700 points doesn't go far in the Vistana world; that's why they gave you extra points for the first year (so you don't notice).

What you have purchased has zero resale value; get out now and save $8,400.

As others have suggested, AFTER you do more research, if you still want to buy a timeshare, you can buy resale for a fraction of what you paid.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Realize that over 50% of developers' sales occur to people who are already customers. One reason is that people find out that they don't have enough points to enjoy the program. You were sold something that you could AFFORD - not something that was functional. You can buy something that is functional on the resale market, and be $$ ahead. Rescind and study your options - including other systems.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
There isn’t much you can do with so little points. Depending on the day of the week and season it might only be 1-2 nights and that’s hardly a vacation.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rescind immediately, do your research here, then buy resale and learn to properly use what you have and save yourself about $7,000

MrSmiles

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
20700 Staroptions
How long is the rescind window and what is the best option if it's past? Thank you.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
How long is the rescind window and what is the best option if it's past? Thank you.
Depends on state where you purchased. If the window is past, you have two choices: stick with what you bought. You liked what you saw. Or stop paying and suffer the consequences of foreclosure/ hit to your credit rating.

For me, I have chose the first a few times and never have walked away.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@MrSmiles Mind sharing how much you'd save with rescission? As half of tuggers initially bought developer TS, there is no shaming.

Avulasai

Reaction score
Fellow vacationers! My wife and I just purchased a Sheraton VOI flex points timeshare after attending a presentation at the Sheraton broadway plantation location . I guess marriotts new approach. Please review and let me know if I need to rescind ? Or if I got a decent deal? 1) we bought 81000 points a year for $32k 2) we can use those points to book at any of the 9 Sheraton home properties 3) but we can also use those 81000 vacation points across any of the Marriott or Westin vacation club properties 4) HOA feels are $1400 but deferred until 2024. 5) they also threw in another 81000 vacation points extra for the first year. And 6) we can technically convert these 81000 points to bonvoy but it’s not worth that way too much.
Kindly let me know if this is a good deal
Or do I need to rescind ?

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes! $32K is a lot of money. You probably don't realize that 50% of the cost of a retail timeshare is used up in promotions, advertising, commissions and incentives. If you want to purchase a timeshare, resale is your friend. You and your wife didn't purchase a timeshare - you were sold a timeshare. Rescind and spend more time here to learn about your options.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Fellow vacationers! My wife and I just purchased a Sheraton VOI flex points timeshare after attending a presentation at the Sheraton broadway plantation location . I guess marriotts new approach. Please review and let me know if I need to rescind ? Or if I got a decent deal? 1) we bought 81000 points a year for $32k 2) we can use those points to book at any of the 9 Sheraton home properties 3) but we can also use those 81000 vacation points across any of the Marriott or Westin vacation club properties 4) HOA feels are $1400 but deferred until 2024. 5) they also threw in another 81000 vacation points extra for the first year. And 6) we can technically convert these 81000 points to bonvoy but it’s not worth that way too much.
Kindly let me know if this is a good deal
Or do I need to rescind ?
Most any deal from the developer is going to be a bad deal. Suggestion here is to rescind and then research. Research, research, research. A mandatory resale week that comes with StarOptions may be a better deal. We don't know if it will be able to book Marriott resorts or not, but time will tell. Right now there is a lot of change happening with Vistana. I would wait it out to see what happens. There will always be options again in the future to buy the same thing you bought now, it may just look different.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

@MrSmiles Mind sharing how much you'd save with rescission? As half of tuggers initially bought developer TS, there is no shaming.