• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2020 HGVC Points - best guess

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
So banked 2019 points have been rolled over into 2021 by HGVC. What are your thoughts/projections about 2020 points? Obviously, they can be banked for 2021 by individual owners, but do you think HGVC will make a wholesale extension of some sort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
My fingers are crossed that they will.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The Gods know... or maybe the gnomes in basement of MetroWest.
With a significant part of the year blocked off, it'd certainly be fair.
OTOH, I used mine with a booking in December + RCI stay next year.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts/projections about 2020 points...do you think HGVC will make a wholesale extension of some sort?
Most resorts will have been closed for only 10-12 weeks, so no.

However, if a second wave of COVID-19 forces resorts to close again in the fall then perhaps yes.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Whatever happens all these deferred points being pushed to 2021 is bound to have an impact on resort availability.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am sitting on over 35K in 2021 now. For the first time I am considering depositing 2021 points in HH. I know it is not the best choice, but I don't really want that many in RCI.

So I either plan a big family getaway with multiple units or large units, or I will HH some if plans don't materialize.

I paid the reduced rate at the beginning of the year to save them, but if they let us save for free I will call and ask for a refund.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I am sitting on over 35K in 2021 now. For the first time I am considering depositing 2021 points in HH. I know it is not the best choice, but I don't really want that many in RCI.

So I either plan a big family getaway with multiple units or large units, or I will HH some if plans don't materialize.

I paid the reduced rate at the beginning of the year to save them, but if they let us save for free I will call and ask for a refund.

The thought about depositing poins in HH is a good one. I am a firm believer that one of the worst uses of HGVC points is deposting into HH, however, with the impact of the coronavirus: closing resorts, quarantines in Hawaii the place we really want to use our points, the fear of flying and staying at a resort with many other poeple even if resorts do open up, and limits on activities in vacation spots if you do go I may not have a good use for the points this year and perhaps in the forseaable future at a timeshare resort.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
So banked 2019 points have been rolled over into 2021 by HGVC. What are your thoughts/projections about 2020 points? Obviously, they can be banked for 2021 by individual owners, but do you think HGVC will make a wholesale extension of some sort?

Inasmuch as some people have paid to do this, I would expect that they would not do this for free. it certainly would not be an equitable thing to do unless they were willing to refund those who paid.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thought about depositing poins in HH is a good one.

Yeah, good thought. I also agree that this is a poor use of points, in general. However, between cancellation of some stays this year and the fact that we still have two unsold contracts and waaaay too many points anyway, we will certainly lose points next year (all have been moved forward). Adding to our 2.5M HH points is better than simply letting them evaporate. Even with reducing-over-time value, it's non-zero.

Cheers.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
HGVC is not going to do it, but it seems to me if there was a marketplace to sell points it would relieve some of the pressure on HGVC members (stuck with points that may be hard to use) and help smooth out inventory (people ... especially younger and healthier ... that want to travel can get points at a discount, and use them for the remainder of 2020 or slightly longer.) It would create liquidity for those with excess points and relieve the potential for overly tight demand for reservations in future years.

It will be interesting to see the difference between how this (glut of points now, potential lack of future inventory) plays out differently for HGVC versus places like MVC and DVC where points are bought and sold.

I do hope there is a lot of demand to travel soon. Beats the heck out of a prolonged recession and continuing pandemic that keeps people rattled. I hope we are not overly optimistic in our thinking here that there will be a huge demand for travel and timeshare reservations next year.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Most resorts will have been closed for only 10-12 weeks, so no.

However, if a second wave of COVID-19 forces resorts to close again in the fall then perhaps yes.

Even if that quote turns out to be accurate, there are a couple of other issues for Canadian members.

First, there have been no HGVC properties in Canada since Club Intrawest ceased being an affiliate. Second, there are a limited number of RCI properties of an equivalent calibre as HGVC and many of them remain closed here. Third, and most importantly, we cannot currently access any HGVC properties since the Canada/US border remains closed to non-essential travel.

The same applies to non-US international travel. Even if it was possible there is a mandatory, 14-day, police-monitored, quarantine period for anyone returning to Canada. Under the quarantine rules you may not leave your place of quarantine for any reason during the quarantine period. You must arrange for delivery of any food, medication or anything else you might need or want. So short trips out of the country, even if they were possible, make little sense.

We cancelled our March and August bookings. We have an HGVC property in Florida booked for December, but not sure yet if we will be wanting to go there by then, even if the border has reopened. I hope they do extend 2020 points, but I will pay to save them, if necessary.

Last edited: