• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2020 ] Centerstone Group Timeshare exit company [ SCAM ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostHope

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Towers
Hi,

Has anyone heard or used this company? If so, please share your experience with me. I know there are many "scam" companies that claim can get you out and I want to make sure this isn't one of them.

Here is some background and some pro's and con's about them during my experience with them.

I found this company while searching for a way to exit my timeshare with Westgate Towers. I e-mail them telling them I'm interested so someone called me back and talked with me to get more detail. Once they said that my "case" sounds good, they setup a consultation meeting to go into more detail about their process. The jist of the process is actually explained on their website https://www.centerstonegroup.com/ , so here is my impression of it.

Pros :
Their "strategy" seems legitimate to me, which basically is filing a "misrepresentation" lawsuit (if it comes to that). They said that since the salesperson that I dealt with "sold" the timeshare to me as a "real estate property" that has value which can be considered fraud. This part is true b/c the salesman emphasize to me that I would receive a "deed" so it's like buying a real property that I can even pass down to my children. They also said that they didn't fully explain to me the financial impact of the perpetual maintenance fee, which is also misleading.

They claim that they don't consider "foreclosure" as "successful" result unlike some other timeshare exit companies. And they will continue to work on the case until it's finished. In fact, here is how they say it in the contract. They will continue to work on the case until one of the following two things happen :

A. the Resolution of the Client’s Timeshare in any manner which is final and binding upon the Parties (and, in the event of any Resolution by judicial determination, such determination is non-appealable, or the Client advises Centerstone in writing that it declines to appeal any such determination); or
B. entry of the Client into a written agreement with the Timeshare Company to Resolve the Client’s Timeshare, or otherwise to release the Client from the Client’s Timeshare obligations;

They also don't advise me to stop paying the maintenance fee which sounds more responsible.

Cons:
While the strategy sounds good on paper, I'm not sure how legitimate it is. I mean aren't majority of timeshare sold this way? I mean we all know those salesman over sell the "value" of timeshare ownership, so if the case was simple, shouldn't more people do it be successful at it?

Also, the "continue to work" on sounds good on paper, but could be meaningless. I've read stories where certain companies "continues" to work on cases for years on end without no resolution, so since they are still working on it, you can't claim refund or breach of contract against them.

And the biggest red flag is that they do ask a large upfront fee to get started. In my case, it's around $4k. I've asked them to see if they consider taking the payment AFTER the case is closed, and they said they couldn't. I asked for escrow, but they claim that while they offer escrow services, it's only for harder cases with higher fees. To them, my fees are consider low and my case is easy since my mortgage is paid off and I'm current on maintenance fees.

My guess is that their "real" plan is to basically threaten Westgate with a misrepresentation lawsuit hoping that Westgate will see that dealing the lawsuit will "cost" them more than simply releasing my contract.

I'm fine with this plan, but since I don't think this is the first time Westgate have to deal with the threat of lawsuit (I'm sure Westgate have attorneys on retainer), I'm not sure how well this will work. Westgate will probably lose more if they void the contract every time people threaten to sue them.

Anyways, so here is the questions. Does this company sound legitimate or am I being scammed?

P.S. I have already tried to contact Westgate about their deedback program, but they decline to take it back and ask me to "try again" in 6 months. Also, I've tried looking into "selling" my timeshare, but a quick google search showed that there are plenty other timeshare selling for $1 that no one wants, so that way doesn't sound any better.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of the Centerstone Group, but the BIG RED FLAG here is that they want $4,000 up front. Would you sell your home and pay the broker in advance? Of course not.

Once they get your $4,000 there is ZERO incentive for them to do anything. Make them work for their money and pay them a commission when the sale has been completed. They'll tell you to take a hike if you ask them that!

Much as you don't want to believe it, this is a true SCAM. My guess is that you work hard for your money so why would you want to just give it away?

So now the question becomes why do you want to unload it? Don't you use it? What made you buy it in the first place? Have you thought of renting it? Have you thought of reserving a "juicy" week for a potential new owner and at least attempting to give it away here on TUG (and let the new owner use that reservation) ?

Welcome to TUG and your first posting.

LostHope

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Towers
Hi "TheTimeTraveler",

I appreciate your response. Yes, I know the big red flag is that they want the money upfront, and I even brought this issue up with them, but what they are saying is that in the contract itself, it says that they are obligated to work on the case until it gets resolved. Then again, I'm not sure if that means anything in reality...I guess they could send a letter to Westgate every few months and claim they are working on it.

AS for why I want to unload it, I just don't see the value in it. First of all, I reside in CA, and the hotel is in FL, so every time I need to travel there, I would have to arrange flights, car rentals, etc. Also, with the maintenance fee, I'm not really getting a good deal on the hotel itself anyways. And if a certain year I cannot travel, I would have to eat the fee myself or try to "rent" out my week, which is a huge hassle itself.

As for why I brought it in the first place, I can only say that the salesman they have and the high pressure tactic they used are very good. After 4-5 hours of them hounding ( in a supposed 90min presentation), I think I just broke down in the end. I've tried to refuse buying, but every time I did that, they will change the deal to make it sound better, and after a while, I just couldn't find another reason to say no...I think decision fatigue is real.

As for selling it, I would love to sell it, even at a loss. I wouldn't mind paying the maintenance fees in advance for the new owners and all the closing cost as well. The only issue is that I don't know who would want it. Like I said, I've done some search and there are many other properties up for sale for a $1, so it's really a buyers market and I don't know who the buyers are.

Now, I haven't tried selling it here, as you know I'm new, so I don't really know if people really would buy it here.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Hi "TheTimeTraveler",

I appreciate your response. Yes, I know the big red flag is that they want the money upfront, and I even brought this issue up with them, but what they are saying is that in the contract itself, it says that they are obligated to work on the case until it gets resolved. Then again, I'm not sure if that means anything in reality...I guess they could send a letter to Westgate every few months and claim they are working on it.

AS for why I want to unload it, I just don't see the value in it. First of all, I reside in CA, and the hotel is in FL, so every time I need to travel there, I would have to arrange flights, car rentals, etc. Also, with the maintenance fee, I'm not really getting a good deal on the hotel itself anyways. And if a certain year I cannot travel, I would have to eat the fee myself or try to "rent" out my week, which is a huge hassle itself.

As for why I brought it in the first place, I can only say that the salesman they have and the high pressure tactic they used are very good. After 4-5 hours of them hounding ( in a supposed 90min presentation), I think I just broke down in the end. I've tried to refuse buying, but every time I did that, they will change the deal to make it sound better, and after a while, I just couldn't find another reason to say no...I think decision fatigue is real.

As for selling it, I would love to sell it, even at a loss. I wouldn't mind paying the maintenance fees in advance for the new owners and all the closing cost as well. The only issue is that I don't know who would want it. Like I said, I've done some search and there are many other properties up for sale for a $1, so it's really a buyers market and I don't know who the buyers are.

Now, I haven't tried selling it here, as you know I'm new, so I don't really know if people really would buy it here.
The TS exit company is lying to you, just like the WG salesmen. Unfortunately, WG deals with these companies all the time and just ignores them. Not worth your $4k.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lost, one of the problems with Centerstone's reasoning is that you can't just approach the timeshare company with the statement, "You lied to me." In the contract you signed, there is a paragraph called the "Verbal Representation Clause." You signed or initialed it. The clause states that you did not use any statements made by the salesman in order to decide to buy the contract. Strange, but true. Timeshare companies use that clause to rebut your potential argument. EVERYONE gets lied to in a timeshare presentation. You are no different.

Florida is an anti-deficiency state, so Westgate can only take back the timeshare. They can't come after you for more money. They can write nasty letters and file with the credit agencies to smear you. However, you have the right to add your own explanation to your report. People default on timeshares every day. Wyndham has a provision for loan losses of 20%. Don't throw your $4,000 away.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
It sounds like you’re doing the research (you called a company but are looking and reading around to make sure it’s not a scam, etc) so good on you!

It does sound like you haven’t tried “selling” it yet because you found some timeshares for $1 and got discouraged. I suggest you do as @TheTimeTraveler suggested above and offer it for free on the TUG marketplace with a “juice” reservation (something people would want) and offer to pay for all transfer/closing costs and maybe even 1 or year’s worth of maintenance fees... this sounds like a cheaper and more effective way out than throwing away $4k

start here and read about how to do this: https://tugbbs.com/forums/forums/free-timeshare-giveaways-and-bargain-deals.55/

Alternatively, like @Iggyearl points out, you might consider letting this go and not paying any more money on it. Even if your credit takes a hit (it might not, if you read on here it sounds like sometimes this happens but other times it doesn’t), you can add a comment to your report.

In summary, in my ~3 years on TUG I’ve never heard anyone report any of these companies have been successful /kept their promise about getting you out of your contract. Don’t be another statistic.....

Good luck! Keep asking questions!

LostHope

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Towers
I really appreciate all of your help. While the answer isn't what I had hoped for (i.e. this company can get you out), it's pretty much expected. I guess I just need others to tell me what I already know, and not let my wishful thinking cloud my judgement.

I think I will take you guys advice and try to sell it. Like what Hobokie, I felt discouraged looking at the market so I never really tried to sell it. I just assume that since I'm willing to pay to give it away, what person would want to buy it. But maybe there are people out there who could really use it. If you guys have other suggestions on where I could list my timeshare for sale, I would appreciate it. Right now, I know of Tugs (obviously), Redweek, Craiglist, and Ebay. Is there any other REPUTABLE website out there? I did find sellmytimesharenow.com, but they want $1600 upfront, claiming they have millions of visitors, but I'm going to skip that one.

I do have another question if someone could help me with. The current timeshare is in both me and my wife's name. Is it possible to transfer one of our name out so that if things do go bad, only one of our credit is affected instead of both? If I'm (or my Wife) is willing be the sole owner of the timeshare, it's not illegal to do the transfer correct? Can Westgate try to stop the process if I try to do the title transfer? Just want to cover all of my bases.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
LostHope, it isn't worth anything. At least not in a financial sense. WG (Around here, we refer to them as Wastegate) strips any value from resales, and forces new resale owners to only book within 60 days of move-in and there is never any availability.

It is not worth dropping one name from the title. Married couples are always liable for each others' debts.

You don't mention whether your membership is paid for or if there is a mortgage on it. If you are only making maintenance payments, just stop paying. They might put notice on your credit report, and you are allowed to file a rebuttal. If you owe on it, then there is another entity that is damaged if you stop paying.

You say you are in CA and the resort is in FL. You can use ANY of the resorts in their network- or exchange through an exchange company to any of thousands of resorts. You aren't stuck with one resort.

I know you just want OUT. OK. But the best use of your purchase might well be to accept that you made an unwise purchase decision, and live with it. There was something in that presentation that you saw value in. SO USE WHAT YOU BOUGHT! It's value is in the memories you can impart to your family and friends. Yes, Wastegate has lousy and predatory business practices. But they have very nice resorts. And since you are already members, join TUG. Stick around and learn about exchanging and depositing your week(s) and multiply the vacations you and your family can take.

We wish you well. Good Luck.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: RX8

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I’ve said in previous posts that anyone can form a business and call themselves an exit company, including people who may have just gotten out of jail. There is zero regulation for exit companies. Their business model is to extract thousands of dollars upfront in return for their “promises”. There are many stories of these companies taking money, not performing and leaving the timeshare owners with continued maintenance fees or worse, with a foreclosure.

Cornerstone has been in business only since January so they are yet another new exit company wanting to make a buck at the expense of timeshare owners. They are following a pattern that I have seen with other new exit companies in that they have accumulated many glowing reviews at the BBB, reviews that you don’t typically see even with decades old companies. Makes one wonder if these are legit reviews.

Edited to add: you mention Sell My Timeshare Now. In my view they are just as bad as the exit companies in that they are a predator looking to take upfront fees. All they have is a website and they want you to pay to advertise your timeshare on that website. They may mislead an owner into thinking their timeshare has real value so their $1600 fee sounds reasonable. Look at their website and you’ll see timeshares listed for crazy high prices and they will never sell. Unfortunately, your Westgate timeshare is worth zero so you will be throwing away $1600.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Their "strategy" seems legitimate to me, which basically is filing a "misrepresentation" lawsuit (if it comes to that). <snip>

My guess is that their "real" plan is to basically threaten Westgate with a misrepresentation lawsuit hoping that Westgate will see that dealing the lawsuit will "cost" them more than simply releasing my contract.

One fact to keep clearly in mind (besides the unacceptable fact that this completely unknown entity wants $4k from you upfront) is that Westgate has a long established pattern of demonstrating an apparent fondness for litigation. They are certainly not going to be "intimidated" by your unknown, obscure Centerstone "exit strategists" who, even if they were legit (...they are not), wouldn't stand a chance against Westgate lawyers, who seem perpetually ready and willing to go into the courtroom to do battle. Westgate has taken at least one case all the way to a state Supreme Court (Tennessee, if I recall correctly) in recent years. Wastegate ultimately lost that case, but they were clearly willing to expend the time, effort and expense to take matters that far. Do you really believe that these unknown, obscure "Centerstone Group" exit magicians are somehow up to locking horns with Westgate? Rest assured that they are not.

I would recommend being persistent (relentless, actually) in pursuing a deedback, which is your best way "out". Unfortunately, you're not likely going to be able to sell (or even give away for free) a Wastegate timeshare. Deedback will certainly cost you a whole lot less than $4k, even if it takes another 6 months (or a year) to pester Wastegate into saying YES. In any case, forget about these (and any and all other) relief / escape / exit parasites. None of them will accomplish anything except to decrease your bank account balance.

Good luck.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll add to Theo's suggestion above about being persistent in pursuing a deedback. Contact the resort's Homeowners' Association and say that you are not going to pay another dollar in MFs so the HOA has two choices. Either take it back now amicably (with you perhaps paying closing costs) or let it go into foreclosure which will result in expense and hassle for the HOA.

dviolette

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
viol9499
Did you end up using Cornerstone Group? Did they successfully transfer your timeshare such that you have no more commitments (e.g., HOA fees)?

I am talking with them now, and I still see some red flags as they are asking for $3195 upfront, but they say the funds will be in an escrow account. I would like to see if they have had success with people.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Did you end up using Cornerstone Group? Did they successfully transfer your timeshare such that you have no more commitments (e.g., HOA fees)?

I am talking with them now, and I still see some red flags as they are asking for $3195 upfront, but they say the funds will be in an escrow account. I would like to see if they have had success with people.
The escrow account is a sham. Once they have the money, you probably won't hear from them again.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The escrow account is a sham. Once they have the money, you probably won't hear from them again.
Yes, absolutely. That is a scam, and you won't get anything back. Why sell a summer Breck week? You can rent it for MF's. Is it paid off?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
@dviolette has comments going on in two separate threads.

I am not familiar with this Grand Peak 7 timeshare but the big question is whether or not they have a deedback program. Dviolette, have you checked with them to inquire about a deedback program? If not, do they have a resale department or someway to post your timeshare for sale that is accessible to existing owners? There may be an existing owner that might like that summer week.

dviolette

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
viol9499
Yes, absolutely. That is a scam, and you won't get anything back. Why sell a summer Breck week? You can rent it for MF's. Is it paid off?

YES -- It is paid off. Why sell? -- I guess we have more places we would like to go and we simply have not used the week and have found Interval International difficult to work with. So, we have been taking our annual trips but going elsewhere. We have a week coming up, and we will use it this year, and maybe our point of view will change. Overall, I know people that have ownership in Breck Peak 7 and like it. I think it just doesn't suit us and the way we like to travel.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
registered just to provide a review of an upfront fee company that charged you 3k to dispose of a hilton timeshare?

fascinating.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
registered just to provide a review of an upfront fee company that charged you 3k to dispose of a hilton timeshare?

fascinating.
I was thniking the same, but wondering if they were a buyer instead. Not sure. If they were trying to get rid of a Bay Club week, I am sure they could have done that pretty easily, even if they had to give it away for free. Cheaper than $3K.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I used them to transfer one on my Hilton Bay Club weeks. It cost me around $3,000 and I used their escrow option. They use a third party for the escrow and I assume it went as it was advertised. The transfer was done in a little over 3 months and I agreed to the release of funds with their escrow agent. Seemed pretty smooth from start to finish. I chose Cornerstone because they were not “salesy” like the Wesley, Resort Advosory or Timeshare Compliance people were. Plus, none of these other companies offered this transfer program so it was going to take a lot longer and cost a lot more.

Congrats that you are free of your timeshare. However, posting a positive review will be misleading to others in the same situation. Bay Club is a cheap way into HGVC which has value to some. Your Bay Club could have been given away for free saving you $3,000. Your situation is no different than you wanting to get rid of an old sofa in very good condition. Instead of advertising it for free for a sure thing giveaway you paid someone $3,000 to haul it away.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
no I think he was saying that you are somehow suggesting others pay thousands of dollars to do something they could have done not only for free, but actually made some money off of. as a first post it is somewhat of an interesting one to say the least.

Reactions: RX8

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Are you promoting a timeshare resale company? If so, which one? I have a Diamond timeshare I need to get out of.

Did you check with Diamond regarding their deedback program? Note that Cornerstone and others won’t tell you about deedback programs because they want you to pay them $3,000 instead.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What about a timeshare reseller? Can you recommend one that is reputable and can sell a Diamond?
Diamond really doesn't have any resale value, so any reseller/broker is going to want you to pay a commission (upfront fee). You really need to try to give it away yourself.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
HanaKona - You are confused: We have no services to sell to you, but what we are offering for FREE is a forum where you can offer your timeshare for free to someone who wants it. This probably would not be someone that you know - this would be a willing party on TUG, who wants to own your timeshare. I have both given and received a number of free timeshare on TUG, and it works very well.

Before you dismiss it, I recommend that you actually read the info provided at the link above. Wouldn't you rather give it away without paying a big commission???

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
"HanaCalifornia" - You know you really had me going for a minute there, but I just realized that you are just a SHILL for this company!

I know this because there is no other reason for you to come to TUG, and dig up a post that is almost 2 years old, so you can endorse this company.

Just in case we weren't clear, the company that you work for, Centerstone Group Timeshare exit company is a SCAM!

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yea, it appears I’m looking for info in the wrong place. There are no answers here only people telling me I messed up by transferring through this company. Well, I am out and that was my goal. Since my MF’s were over $2,000 a year I was happy to be out and not have to pay another fee. Seems this site is just about bashing options and not providing alternative solutions. I’m not sure I understand why my posts are so interesting “to say the least” lol. Is this another forum/website suppressing anything they consider “misinformation”? That stuff is getting OLD.
You aren't out though, you still have a Diamond ownership. I guess your goal wasn't really to come here looking for help, but to just shill for Cornerstone?

BTW, we did provide other alternatives. You could have given away your Bay Club week for FREE. Not have paid $3,000 to have someone transfer it out for you? They just found someone to take it for free instead of you doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.