• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2018] Marriott Ko Olina - Rooms Control Villa Prioritization

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpplayer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Ko Olina OV (deed)
Presentation update: info here probably applies to multiple topics but I'll post it here:

Attended Ko Olina presentation this morning -- first attended presentation since 2010. As a note, we received our "gift package" in advance of the presentation. If you are going to a presentation, then I recommend that approach as our only commitment was to stay 90 minutes, so we weren't captive in order to receive said gifts.

The salesperson did what salespeople do -- no surprises here -- told us the many benefits of enrolling our week and then buying more points, and avoided answering direct questions (e.g., why should I convert when I would then have to buy more points for what I can get now using my weeks? never got an answer) by changing the subject. As expected, he emphasized flexibility and how we could go to all of the MVC properties and a slew of (privately owned?) homes. He ignored that our interest was only in staying in our home resort (Ko Olina), and no desire for trading (at least for the next several years). At the end (shockingly!) he became very pushy about buying 1,000 points. I thanked him for his time and the education, and he said (paraphrased but not by much) "Do you believe knowledge is power? If you don't act on it then you haven't learned anything. I'm flabbergasted that you're not going to take this opportunity and buy the 1,000 pts". In spite of having my intelligence insulted, I again politely declined. Surprisingly, the closer that they brought in at the end was non-pushy, and we were soon on our way.

Being prepared and knowing the hidden costs and other challenges, I was able to walk out of there calm, and under two hours. Other interesting things the salesperson stated during the presentation that are suspect -- the first is probably of most interest for this thread:

1) He claimed ALL points owners can book at the 13 months point. That seems to be true but with the caveat that owners with <4,000 would have to pay more for the privilege. At least that's what I infer from reading the Elite Level charts. That does concern me, as it confirms legacy owners are at a distinct disadvantage for availability, and (by virtue of reservation date) priority for considering villa assignment.

2) 80% of legacy owners have enrolled

3) Only points owners can get a cash discount at MVC properties. (e.g., "7VC") Legacy owners cannot.

4) Current cost is $13.90/point

5) Enrollment fee. He stated what it was, but I don't remember, as I had pretty much tuned out by then. He gave no offer of waiving it, and I didn't ask.

On the other hand, that 2-hr session paid for our whale-watching cruise, two free breakfasts and $25 voucher at Roy's. But I don't think we will do it again for another 8 years.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
1) He claimed ALL points owners can book at the 13 months point. That seems to be true but with the caveat that owners with <4,000 would have to pay more for the privilege. At least that's what I infer from reading the Elite Level charts. That does concern me, as it confirms legacy owners are at a distinct disadvantage for availability, and (by virtue of reservation date) priority for considering villa assignment.

That is true, all points owners can book at 13 months, but those us us with less than 4000 points have to pay a 20% penalty to book outside of 12 months. But legacy owners are not at a disadvantage, because once an owner elects for points in a given year, they are competing only for points inventory, not legacy weeks inventory. Marriott keeps the two buckets of inventory separate. So, if you elect points for your week, that week goes into the MVC Exchange (part of the Points system) and is no longer available to legacy owners to book. But that legacy owner that converted their week is also no longer competing with the other legacy week owners for bookings either. So a week is lost to points, but so is a potential weeks user.

vpplayer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Ko Olina OV (deed)
That is true, all points owners can book at 13 months, but those us us with less than 4000 points have to pay a 20% penalty to book outside of 12 months. But legacy owners are not at a disadvantage, because once an owner elects for points in a given year, they are competing only for points inventory, not legacy weeks inventory. Marriott keeps the two buckets of inventory separate. So, if you elect points for your week, that week goes into the MVC Exchange (part of the Points system) and is no longer available to legacy owners to book. But that legacy owner that converted their week is also no longer competing with the other legacy week owners for bookings either. So a week is lost to points, but so is a potential weeks user.

Thank you for the clarification on booking availability -- it has been difficult to find authoritative and accurate information online. However, what about actual room assignment prioritization? Does not the 13-month booking get prioritization over the 12-month booking, regardless of whether the owner is legacy or points?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thank you for the clarification on booking availability -- it has been difficult to find authoritative and accurate information online. However, what about actual room assignment prioritization? Does not the 13-month booking get prioritization over the 12-month booking, regardless of whether the owner is legacy or points?

The very first post in this thread from the OP outlines how KoOlina prioritizes room requests. It appears to be a more complex formula that involves a lot more variables than just the reservation date.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Presentation update: info here probably applies to multiple topics but I'll post it here:

Attended Ko Olina presentation this morning -- first attended presentation since 2010. As a note, we received our "gift package" in advance of the presentation. If you are going to a presentation, then I recommend that approach as our only commitment was to stay 90 minutes, so we weren't captive in order to receive said gifts.

The salesperson did what salespeople do -- no surprises here -- told us the many benefits of enrolling our week and then buying more points, and avoided answering direct questions (e.g., why should I convert when I would then have to buy more points for what I can get now using my weeks? never got an answer) by changing the subject. As expected, he emphasized flexibility and how we could go to all of the MVC properties and a slew of (privately owned?) homes. He ignored that our interest was only in staying in our home resort (Ko Olina), and no desire for trading (at least for the next several years). At the end (shockingly!) he became very pushy about buying 1,000 points. I thanked him for his time and the education, and he said (paraphrased but not by much) "Do you believe knowledge is power? If you don't act on it then you haven't learned anything. I'm flabbergasted that you're not going to take this opportunity and buy the 1,000 pts". In spite of having my intelligence insulted, I again politely declined. Surprisingly, the closer that they brought in at the end was non-pushy, and we were soon on our way.

Being prepared and knowing the hidden costs and other challenges, I was able to walk out of there calm, and under two hours. Other interesting things the salesperson stated during the presentation that are suspect -- the first is probably of most interest for this thread:

2) 80% of legacy owners have enrolled

3) Only points owners can get a cash discount at MVC properties. (e.g., "7VC") Legacy owners cannot.

4) Current cost is $13.90/point

5) Enrollment fee. He stated what it was, but I don't remember, as I had pretty much tuned out by then. He gave no offer of waiving it, and I didn't ask.

On the other hand, that 2-hr session paid for our whale-watching cruise, two free breakfasts and $25 voucher at Roy's. But I don't think we will do it again for another 8 years.
Having only purchased weeks (developer and resale), but enrolled all my eligible ones, I would add a few comments:-
I still do not acknowledge the term “Legacy” owner, as the dictionary definition of this word is “obsolete” and my weeks ownership is not obsolete!
Re:1)
Whilst eveyone can book at 13 months, Owner level has to pay a premium as JiminNC says, also only Executive, Presidential and Chairman’s Club level can book 1+ nights at 13 months, Owner and Select level are limited to booking 7+ nights
Re:2)
I don’t believe that 80% of weeks owners have enrolled and I won’t until MVC publish this figure.
I know many US owners who have not enrolled and the large majority of those I know and speak to in Europe and Asia have not.
Re:3)
This is simply untrue.
I do not own Trust points, but I frequently use the “2VC” code as an enrolled weeks owner to get the 35% cash discount at MVC properties.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
The ability to rent points was the sole reason I enrolled my meager pre-2010 Vail Week, worth all of 550 points, via an Encore visit.

Recent threads have folks enrolling simply by watching a webcast at home. No fees other than a new II account at $180(?) a year.
Vpplayer,

I agree with this comment - even if you never redeem your week for points, it is very powerful being able to rent points from others and still access the point system. Currently, you can rent points for approximately the same as the Trust point Mfs without limit, and the system is going more towards points.

You’ve got an excellent use for your home week but may ascribe some value to the ability to both use your home week and also have ability to book anywhere else, for whatever length stay you wish.

Congrats on your ownership, and Ko Olina is a lovely property!

Best,

Greg

vpplayer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Ko Olina OV (deed)
Greg:

Clearly I need to educate myself more on the benefits of points and how to use them (incl points rentals). The hard sell for purchasing additional points plus the very idea of paying an enrollment fee was/is very difficult to stomach, so I was pleased to read that at least some folks are getting targeted offers for free enrollment. Perhaps my rejection of the sales pitch yesterday will generate such an offer for me. I'll take it seriously. I know there are dues on top of it even if I don't convert in any given year, but it still may be worthwhile as time goes on. Even if it's just the advantage of a 13-month room assignment priority over a 12-month one (see how I meandered back to the OP's topic--sorry for hijacking!)

Thanks again all!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Marriott's Ko Olina Rooms Control will prioritize villa placement in this order:

PRIORITY

1- OWNERS (Weeks, Pure Vacation Club Points and Hybrid Vacation Club Point Owners)
  • Note: I've asked for clarity on this point, to understand whether Weeks or DC Pts reservations are given priority first.
2- ENROLLED OWNER (When Using Exchange Points)

3- OWNER EXCHANGE (MVC Site and Non-Site Owner Exchange)

4- MARKETING GUEST

5- RENTAL GUEST

6- NON-MVC OWNER EXCHANGE

OTHER BLOCKING FACTORS

7- CONFIRMED RESERVATION TYPE (Villa Size and View Type)

For 3BRS, MKO is limited in number. As such, full 3BR villas are blocked first, then 2BR Master of a 3BR unit second.
  • Note: I've asked for clarity on this point, as it indicates locking off a 3BR will always place the 2BR Master at a disadvantage for villa placement, given all full 3BRs are blocked first.
8- BOOKING DATE - An important factor in which many Owners will book 12 – 13 months in advance. Although even booking dates doesn’t always mean that an Owner will get the location and high floor. The reason for that is the Friday, Saturday, Sunday arrivals, along with Destination Point Owners who arrive any day of the week. Best to say that it has to be available on your arrival date based on availability.

9- OTHER FACTORS: ADA, Length of Stay, Scheduled/Unscheduled Maintenance, Emergency Situations, Villa Preferences (communicated by guests)

Is #5 renters renting from an owner? If so, how do they know it’s a renter?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I suspect #5 is rentals through Marriott.com.

I would think renters renting from Marriott.com would have higher priority than a marketing guest or II exchangers. Very odd if that is what it means.

I thought MVC did not distinguish between #1 and #2. Everyone says elected points and trust points function the same way. How would inventory control at the resort level know the difference?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
List is a little outdated.

Rooms control does not know now if you are exchanging in with Marriott unit or non Marriott unit. It used to show up in system.

Being a multi week Plat and Plat+ owner at MKO, I have not seen better placement in room assignments unless I ask.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
List is a little outdated.

Rooms control does not know now if you are exchanging in with Marriott unit or non Marriott unit. It used to show up in system.

Being a multi week Plat and Plat+ owner at MKO, I have not seen better placement in room assignments unless I ask.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

So are you saying that trust points and elected points are indeed the same thing for booking as well as room assignments? That is what I thought but just want to re-clarify since seeing this priority list.

If you are multi week Platinum owner at MKO, why do they not give you the best views consistently? Based on the priority list, even if outdated, it seems to imply that being an owner will give you the best views.

It seems like time stamp does not mean as much compared to ownership status and other factors.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So are you saying that trust points and elected points are indeed the same thing for booking as well as room assignments? That is what I thought but just want to re-clarify since seeing this priority list.

If you are multi week Platinum owner at MKO, why do they not give you the best views consistently? Based on the priority list, even if outdated, it seems to imply that being an owner will give you the best views.

It seems like time stamp does not mean as much compared to ownership status and other factors.
Allocation criteria, even for the few resorts where it is published, seem to vary.
Time stamp is probably more of a factor at some than others.
So at Marbella, for example, in their FAQs
As I made my request 12-13 months in advance shouldn’t my request be guaranteed?
While making your request early on certainly should place you higher on the priority list, there is no guarantee that your preferences can be met upon arrival. As noted above, there are many reasons for this. In addition, more and more Owners book and place their requests 13 months in advance; hence making the allocation options more limited than in past years. This means that even simple requests at times are difficult to fulfill.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is #5 renters renting from an owner? If so, how do they know it’s a renter?
This is rental using cash or points through Marriott directly. A private renter will normally get the owner preference as appropriate.
I thought MVC did not distinguish between #1 and #2. Everyone says elected points and trust points function the same way. How would inventory control at the resort level know the difference?
I am not aware of a MVC resort that does not put owners using their weeks higher than MVC points. Some give you a bump if you own at that resort but are exchanging in or using points but not at or above using an owned week.

Points are points, doesn't matter whether it's trust or elected points. Technically and legally, it's an internal exchange. They have a lot to balance to it's difficult to give the best views on a consistent basis. MKO is also one of the resorts that's gotten very hard line on the unit type of the exchange which further complicates the picture. I haven't seen any indication that time stamp means anything in a long time, there are simply too many other variables for them to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.