• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2018] Deed Holder Being Cheated out of our PlatPlus Aruba

nedly44

Reaction score
It's very difficult for me to feel one is being cheated since the company is doing exactly what is stated in the documentation that was received and signed at closing. Perhaps the documentation doesn't agree with one's interpretation but the documentation is very clear as to the situation at hand and the company is doing exactly what is written.

This is an interesting comment. Where in the documentation does it say while my doc says "Week 7" President's Week, Can they actually give me Week 6 and that be ok?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
This is an interesting comment. Where in the documentation does it say while my doc says "Week 7" President's Week, Can they actually give me Week 6 and that be ok?

Perhaps you should read Post #6 from @Steve Fatula. I've included it below:

That's strange indeed. What the document says is this:

"Platinum Plus-Presidents Day Use Period includes Presidents Day [as observed in the United States]" and it follows with:

"If Platinum Plus-Presidents Day, Plati- num Plus-Spring Break, Platinum Plus-Holiday and Platinum Plus-New Year’s Day falls on a check-in/check-out day, the Platinum Plus Use Period will be the applicable Use Period that ends (i.e., checks out) on the pertinent holiday."

. . .

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is probably a silly question nedly44, but have you talked to several different Marriott customer service reps, escalated to supervisor and gone back and contacted your sales person for help?

I see the problem is only Monday check in is available for your owned week and that ends on the holiday so doesn't work for your kids (been there many times myself!) but perhaps a higher up could authorize your use of a different week? It does seem that Marriott is being very inflexible (especially since things have changed since your purchase).
I have found that usually comes from the lower folks not being authorized to make a change/ exception or knowing how.
Good luck.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m curious, when did the check in days change in relationship to the sales and resort opening?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I’m curious, when did the check in days change in relationship to the sales and resort opening?
I purchased there pre construction. I no longer own there or have my paperwork but I feel as if SC always had the 5 check in days while OC had F. S, S only

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased there pre construction. I no longer own there or have my paperwork but I feel as if SC always had the 5 check in days while OC had F. S, S only
Thanks Pat, that’s different that what the OP says. I was having trouble figuring out how this could change after the fact though I know that almost anything can change in one way or another with timeshares. While I am sympathetic to the OP, I don’t see any blame to put on Marriott unless I’m missing something though the legal documentation would ultimately hold that determination for me. I know I looked at it pretty early on and I likely do have the sales materials somewhere (found them for OC but not SC). As posted, it seems Marriott is giving what is owned even if it’s different than what the OP wanted or expected. I would concur with more contact with Marriott, it might be that a priority what list is possible. Also, I understand that in some cases specialty week owners can reserve during Platinum time, I wonder if this would be an option.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Thanks Pat, that’s different that what the OP says. I was having trouble figuring out how this could change after the fact though I know that almost anything can change in one way or another with timeshares. While I am sympathetic to the OP, I don’t see any blame to put on Marriott unless I’m missing something though the legal documentation would ultimately hold that determination for me. I know I looked at it pretty early on and I likely do have the sales materials somewhere (found them for OC but not SC). As posted, it seems Marriott is giving what is owned even if it’s different than what the OP wanted or expected. I would concur with more contact with Marriott, it might be that a priority what list is possible. Also, I understand that in some cases specialty week owners can reserve during Platinum time, I wonder if this would be an option.
I believe PP owners can reserve during P time by giving up their PP time one year BUT that check in date is long gone.
There are also owners who would opt to convert their week to DC points which would free up some more time.

For the future, OP should find out how many units are allotted for each check in day and then decide if it is worth waiting to reserve or just go with his “best guess” day.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It seems that Steve and controller1 have explained this perfectly, with the OP not wanting to accept the answer.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I don't know the specific date, but I recall it being discussed here several years ago when they added the Thursday and Monday checkin dates. Perhaps it was around the time they moved to the DC program. So it hasn't always been that way at the SC.

Okay, I found a couple references to it. It looks like they announced it sometime in 2009 and started allowing people to book Thursday or Monday checkin dates in May 2010. Perhaps @m61376 could shed some more light.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-not-tues-weds-thurs-check-ins.118543/#post-886459

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ub-week-to-book-for-trade.105245/#post-782673

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know the specific date, but I recall it being discussed here several years ago when they added the Thursday and Monday checkin dates. Perhaps it was around the time they moved to the DC program. So it hasn't always been that way at the SC.

Okay, I found a couple references to it. It looks like they announced it sometime in 2009 and started allowing people to book Thursday or Monday checkin dates in May 2010. Perhaps @m61376 could shed some more light.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-not-tues-weds-thurs-check-ins.118543/#post-886459

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ub-week-to-book-for-trade.105245/#post-782673
Thank you both. Looks like SC was completed in 2008 and the change was in early 2009, I'd presume during active sales. I would think the almost total control they have on the reservation process is what allowed the change, just like when the 13 month option came about starting on HH.

OP, while it didn't make any difference for this exact situation, keep in mind the reservation window opens a day earlier since it's 12/13 months out from the Thursday.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
OP, while it didn't make any difference for this exact situation, keep in mind the reservation window opens a day earlier since it's 12/13 months out from the Thursday.
Also good if you are using it in conjunction with another resort that doesn't have Thursday checkins. You can then use it to gain a day on others at the other resort that will have to wait one more day to call in at the 13 month mark.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
If the OP's deed says "Week 7" I think he has a good point. But I suspect it says it is a Platinum Plus week or a President's Day week, in which case the calendar notes would seem to be consistent with the deed. Has OP double checked the deed for the exact language?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also good if you are using it in conjunction with another resort that doesn't have Thursday checkins. You can then use it to gain a day on others at the other resort that will have to wait one more day to call in at the 13 month mark.
I agree, and important to me. I'd note that the Thursday start resort has to be the first reservation in the string but the checkin day does not have to be Thursday, just the resort has to offer it. I make this point often when looking at trading weeks, there are only 3 traditional trading resorts that offer both Thursday check in and lockoff's. I made my week 27 Grande Ocean reservations for 2019 on 4/21 this year.
If the OP's deed says "Week 7" I think he has a good point. But I suspect it says it is a Platinum Plus week or a President's Day week, in which case the calendar notes would seem to be consistent with the deed. Has OP double checked the deed for the exact language?
I suspect you're correct, I can't imagine it says week 7, it might say usually week 7. President's day is not always in week 7 for Fri, Sat, Sun either. It does bring up an interesting issue though, I wonder what the wording is for event weeks that are calendar driven. For example, I wonder if the week of the fishing tournament for PCB were to change, where would that leave the Plat Plus owners? I know for Disney's new fixed week options for RunDisney, they've tied it to the event rather than just the week.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can't use that week then deposits it on II (multiple deposits if the unit is split-able) and put a request per unit deposited to go somewhere during a period you can.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

I asked this in post 5, no answer. It has to be one of the two, it cannot be Presidents day and week 7 since that does not always occur in week 7. It's a calendar artifact.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Just another data point, since the deed wording will govern, but while my Maui fixed weeks are deeded by Week number, my Mountainside Week 7 is deeded as a fixed week, but is considered Platinum Plus and allows it to be booked as a floating week in that season. The nuance is I don't think Week 7 is guaranteed until booked, at least I didn't get the same confirmation that I get for Maui 18 months out, so decided to book it just in case.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Just another data point, since the deed wording will govern, but while my Maui fixed weeks are deeded by Week number, my Mountainside Week 7 is deeded as a fixed week, but is considered Platinum Plus and allows it to be booked as a floating week in that season. The nuance is I don't think Week 7 is guaranteed until booked, at least I didn't get the same confirmation that I get for Maui 18 months out, so decided to book it just in case.
Many know that I am a Marriott watchdog, especially regarding the terms and conditions of the recorded documents and reservation procedures.

That being admitted, I am confident that the terms and conditions of the "fixed" specialty weeks are properly set forth in the governing documents. Like floating weeks within seasons, the exact unit and week in your deed is not definitive. The CC&Rs determine what week(s) you are entitled to, not necessarily the description your deed.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Deeds traditionally list the week number not the season name. Of course, this being Aruba, there is no deed but rather some type of use document.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Deeds traditionally list the week number not the season name. Of course, this being Aruba, there is no deed but rather some type of use document.
Yes, I missed the Aruba issue. Clearly different legal structure than US resorts, so my comments wouldn't apply here.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
May I suggest you refer to a normal calendar for the definition of week 7. Monday Jan 11 is part of week 7 - what is goofy is that technically Sunday Jan 17 is technically Week 8. So I see no issues technically - you're using Marriott's calendar to confuse you but I would argue the "real" calendar is what the T&C's go off of if indeed the contract is based on week numbers.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
May I suggest you refer to a normal calendar for the definition of week 7. Monday Jan 11 is part of week 7 - what is goofy is that technically Sunday Jan 17 is technically Week 8. So I see no issues technically - you're using Marriott's calendar to confuse you but I would argue the "real" calendar is what the T&C's go off of if indeed the contract is based on week numbers.
No, I think 2/11-18 is actually week 6. Week 1 would be the week that is the first to start in jan, that would be 7 Jan as week 1 for a Monday week. Remember each week stands alone for it's week number. In this case I doubt it matters as I doubt it's tied to week 7 directly.

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
You said: "I bought the right to reserve the highest demand week twelve months )13 months for 2 weeks) before check-in. I chose to wait until all the best reservations were gone. That must be somebody else's fault."

Nope. If you cannot decide at least 12 months ahead, the best idea is to reserve the highest demand week immediately. If you decide to change dates, then try to change even if you pay a change fee. You can always rent week 7 and then go to redweek.com to get some other dates to fit your schedule. Timesharing intelligently is HARD. Calling Marriott a cheater is easy, and wrong.

Try not to procrastinate when you want high demand weeks. My reservation plan for 2021 and "First Day To Reserve" is all written out. I will be on-line 12/24 exactly at 9:00 for my first 2021 reservations.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Ok will probably not be back. Since almost everyone has said Marriott has lived up to their end of the contract and given him what he bought, a presidents day week that checks out on Presidents day is his platinum plus week. OP has not been back for over 15 months since the answers did not agree with his interpretation of rules.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Haven't looked at this thread in awhile, but since Dioxide had mentioned me for clarification, he's right in that it was probably somewhere around 2010 that they added Thursday and Monday check-in dates. We've owned since 2006 and the first few years the check-in days were Friday, Sat. and Sunday. The issue for President's Day, as well as Christmas and, to a leser degree, New Year's week comes up every few years, since the documents outline check-out days as having to include the Hoilday day. When you look at the calendar, Monday arrivals/departures may be on a different week line than the other arrival days, so that it's still week 7 (or 51 or 52). In fact, it's always been an issue for weeks 51 and 52, since they're not always on a Monday, and many teachers who bought per-construction purchased both 51 and 52 so they'd always have the traditional Christmas week school vacation off.
Others make sure to be on hte phone exactly when the lines open to secure their preferred arrival day.